Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Vintage Thingies Thursday: A Celebration Using Vintage Finds

Welcome to this weeks segment of Vintage Thingies Thursday. Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone. If you are visiting and would like to join us, please do. It is very easy!
To participate, all you have to do is:

* * * * Please everyone, follow these guidelines!

(1) do a post about something vintage.
(2) Visit all the participates and leave a comment.
(3) Link in with the link at the bottom of this post, please use a perma-link to link in with, that way, anyone can refer back to your post if they can not get to it on Thursday.
(4) Be sure to refer back to my blog so everyone can see who is participating today, and if you like include the VTT button in your post. Please be sure to have your post up before linking in.

REMINDER: We have several new friends linking in for Vintage Thingie Thursday. I want to remind everyone that the link for VTT goes up on Wednesday evening and will run through Friday morning (early) then the link will be closed. I know it is hard to get in the habit of posting earlier than later, but try and get your link in before early Friday morning. I have to close the link to keep spam out of the link. Thanks!! And I know Wednesday is not Thursday, here...but it is Thursday for our friends who live on the other side of the globe!!

First off, I want to thank everyone who stopped by last week to wish my husband a very Happy Birthday, we really appreciate all your kind words. We had a nice dinner and he opened gifts, and well, then we had to drive half way to Denton to rescue my daughter as her car gave her problems and she was sitting on the side of the road.....Oh, such great memories of a Birthday! LOL!

Aside from that, all was good. I fixed my husband's favorite meal: Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, rolls and chocolate cake.......real healthy....southern style.

Of course for my table setting, I used some of my vintage things. First, the tablecloth I found at an estate sale a while ago. It really reminds me of a tablecloth used for picnics, but I used it for this occasion. Honestly, to me, it goes with fried chicken! I also used some plates that have fast become a favorite. These blue rimmed plates were a Goodwill find a couple of weeks ago, and guess what? I found four of them. They are marked OXFORD Brazil. I love the blue in the plates. The white plates are all vintage finds as well. They are all mismatched and by different makers, but look similar. The flowers are in a old jar, sitting on a vintage potholder.

While I was looking up this maker, I did find several pieces on eBay, as well as some more dinner plates. You have no idea how much I want to purchase the other four dinner plates and some of the smaller plates and bowls, but I am trying to just not think of it......that really is the last thing I need is more plates. I paid $1.50 for the four plates, and was thrilled with my purchase!

The same trip to Goodwill, scored this cute little creamer and sugar bowl. They really are a lovely shade of blue, and I love how the sugar bowl is shaped like a flower. The set cost $2.00.

Here is the mark on the bottom of the set. The maker is James Sadler of England. He is really better known for his tea pots. I discovered the mark was used in 1942 and after. It's not too old, but it is a nice set and I love the color.

Thanks again for all your well wishes, and support during this difficult couple of weeks I have had.....things should be back to normal soon, whatever that may be!

Have a great Vintage Thingie Thursday and a wonderful weekend, hopefully around here in our neck of the woods, we will see the sunshine for a few more days.



37 comments:

  1. Those were good finds. I like the red, white, and blue color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have featured some beautiful things here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your husband had a good birthday, even with the rescue! We once had to rescue our daughter and a friend on our wedding anniversary!

    I love your tablecloth and it goes perfectly with your beautiful blue and white dishes. And that creamer and sugar are too cute! I love the color!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always have a good pieces. Happy Thursday!

    VTT-Old Photo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little Sadler sugar and creamer is a wonderful find!! Love the cobalt blue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first photo is really pretty with the flowers peek-a-boo-ing from the dark!. The blue dishes are really pretty. I also like the creamer and sugar bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful table and I love that sugar and creamer, color and shape! Great find!! Glad things are getting back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The second I saw the tablecloth before reading your words I thought quintessential vintage picnic! Love it and the blue too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does not matter what you serve or how, it is always the best. You set a good table with all those old dishes you have accumulated. I cannot believe it! You are much too young to join the senior moment club.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love stopping by! You always have the cutest stuff on your post. That blue is absolutely gorgeous! Come join me soon so you can enter my giveaway! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suzanne, $1.50 for the four plates and $2.00 for the lovely cobalt sugar and creamer are terrific thrift finds!

    I also found plates by Oxford Brazil in a similar light blue and white -- mine were in a Blue Onion pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can really find a bargain. All four for 1.50, wow. You certainly set a wonderful table for your birthday dinner, the menu was great. The tablecloth looks so Americana with the blue.
    Great job.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful finds Suzanne I wish I had more time for thrift shopping !

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cobalt blue sugar bowl and creamer are my favourites, really cute! The table cloth is cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful birthday table setting! I can't believe these are all Goodwill finds...good thing you are there to rescue all these lovely pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suzanne, I'd love your fried chicken recipe!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great thrifty finds make a lovely table setting. I love the cream and sugar set!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Red, white and blue is such a charming combination! happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am an Anglophile- I love everything from England and would have been so excited to find those!
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the shape of the pitcher and sugar bowl! Great finds.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Suzanne, I am sorry I haven't been to visit you for a while. Life just gets busy sometimes. I am so sorry about your friend. We never know do we? It is a wake up call to look at our own life and ask ourselves, do we live our life to the fullest? Are we everything to our loved ones every minute every day we are alive? Your decision to change your working schedule had to be tough. I know you will work it out and make adjustments to accept the change and be happy you did.

    I posted late today. You know that 'time' thing. I will do better next time.

    Your thrifty purchases are wonderful. The blue and white is always lovely. The cobalt blue set is a treasure. Lucky you. I know your hubby enjoyed his wonderful dinner made with love. Happy belated birthday to him.

    Have a happy day.

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it all, what a wonderful vintage table cloth

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful dishes... what a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What great finds!!!!

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh!! I am so glad to have found your blog this morning! I have been having so much fun with my grandma and bringing a little bit more vintage into our home! Thanks for hosting a fun party and I love your cream and sugar set and your table setting! Beautiful :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Me again. I am so excited to share your quilting friends blog roll with my mom and aunts. Thank you...they are going to love your site, too!!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, I just love that little cream and sugar set! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's my kind of table setting, comfy vintage! You can see the thought put into it just like w/ crystal and damask, but you know you can put your elbows on the table and sit and chat after dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  29. We must have been on the same wave length today. I did my VTT post on blue and white dishes and a small pitcher.
    You found some pretty dishes and I love the little dark blue sugar bowl and pitcher. I could just collect pitchers if I had the room. Love em!
    Haven't been here for a while. Your list is getting long. It's a good sign of "Vintage" popularity.

    ReplyDelete
  30. They're so pretty and dainty-patterned! What we do without Salvation Army and Goodwill! I wonder if anyone has ever named their blog "Goodwill Hunting"?

    ReplyDelete
  31. it all looks wonderful!!! don't ya just love second hand and vintage things? they seem to have personality of their own...

    ReplyDelete
  32. I agree with you that the red checker tablecloth is perfect for fried chicken! You set a beautiful table, I like how the two plates together look, very pretty. Sounds like you have a good marriage

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great finds! I'm new to your blog and I love it - and I love this theme! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. oh the sugar and creamer are my absolute favorite. The color, the shape, everything is beautiful about them. Thanks for sharing them and ofcourse for hosting the wonderful party!

    -brightest blessings-
    Karina

    thasnifty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. That birthday dinner must have been really yummy. Your table setting is lovely. Your hubby is a very lucky man to have such a wonderful wife.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love anything blue! The sugar and creamer set is a great find! Thank you for hosting Vintge Thingys Thursday! It has been so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely blues and whites! I have just gotten the "change-it" bug and started digging out all my blue and white,too.It's a sickness...lol

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...