Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Vintage Thingies Thursday: It's In The Bag....Vintage Handbags

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you are new to this party, please take the time to read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. I have gotten a few complaints about people linking in and not doing what is required, please, try and visit each and every participant, that is really important. I know we are all busy, but even if it takes a few days to do so, please do that. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies being showed that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much.

This week, I want to show you a few of my vintage purses....that I DO NOT COLLECT. Let me say that right up front.......ahem.....


I found these brand new, never used purses several months ago, at GW. When I first saw them, I immediately thought of my grandma. I studied these for several minutes, then passed them by, and headed straight to the housewares department. However, I could not get these purses off of my mind, or my grandmother for that matter. I swear, she had a purse exactly like this when I was a little girl. So, I decided they were calling to me and I had to take both of them home that day. So I have them......I don't use them......they are really Granny purses in every since of the word.....but they evoke a sweet memory for me, and they are happy living in my sewing room.....yes, they have a great home.....forever!

Now, this is just amazing....I received a gift in the mail this past week from a stranger......however, no longer a stranger......but this is only a peek at the goodness that was in that package. More on that in a couple of weeks, that evokes a post all by itself.....However, I had to show these ads to you today, as they go with my Granny purses.....in a way.

Just look at these ads from the 1950's....the prices.....the charm. I know you will love it as much as I do.

This great basket purse was a thrift store find.....I paid $2.00 for it, and once again, I noticed it, and went on my way.....had to double back before I left, and brought it home....it does not evoke a single memory for me, but for some reason, it called to me that day. It is really a great piece.

The inside is like brand new.

Now, this is really in a bit of a rough condition, but it did evoke a memory of my sweet auntie who had a very similar purse like this when I was a little girl. However, her purse was brown, and a little larger. I remember one Christmas, when I was staying with her on break, we had gone to the grocery store....well, she sat her purse on top of the car and drove off.....I am here to tell you these purses were very well made, because it crashed onto the pavement of the street with all the contents spilling all over the road. We hopped out of the car and very quickly grabbed everything up.....all the while my aunt was laughing....saying, "Oh, Gosh!!!" I can still her laughing today, and I never forgot about driving out of the HEB parking lot and hearing that purse hit the ground.....funny how things from your childhood just stick with you. Great memories of great folks.

I love the mushrooms on this purse, and while it is in a bit of rough condition, I may be able to redo the inside, and fix it up a bit.....no matter, it has a forever home.....

Now, this little black patent leather bag is indeed dreamy. I was fortunate enough to win a giveaway over at Tracy's blog, The Crazy Suburban Mom, and this was my wonderful handbag I received. There is a bit of history here too, this bag belonged to Tracy's 80 year old Auntie...and this one was left over from lots of handbags she sold for her aunt....how wonderful for me, because I really love it. This also had a great little purse mirror inside. This looks like it was never used....just lovely. Include in my box was this great dishtowel and these wonderful coffee mugs.....totally made my day. Thank you Tracy, so much!!!

So, like I said earlier, I don't collect vintage purses....I think they purses collect me.....and I promise, I don't ever start out looking for them, they just sorta find me. Have a wonderful Vintage Thingie Thursday....and remember, don't be afraid to bring home something that is normally out of your collection range....it might be calling out to you right there in the store and just might belong with you, and how sad to pass that up! Believe me, I know all about it!

40 comments:

  1. Of course you don't collect purses, shame on anybody for thinking that. You just have quite a few:) Would you believe that last week after joining VTT and looking back at some of your posts, I found some of the same Gold Castle crockery at the Flea Market. I was so chuffed. I looked at the back of the plates and was like hmmm, didn't I just read about these on someone's blog? Then I went back and searched and found them on your blog. You are right, they are beautiful. Now I am on the look out for more:) Love your bags. I have quite a few myself and I don't collect them either!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are hooked on purses now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how I know exactly what you mean!! They find you and well they need a good home so you are such a great lady for saving them! Did that help any?? Love the purses and memories are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, those purses sure bring back memories! I remember when I was little My Mom and Grandmother would always change their bags to match their shoes. And "No White" after Labor Day or something like that. Things sure have changed. Love the ads too!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid you are in denial over your great vintage purse collection! Admit it, embrace it! I'm attracted to old purses too, especially those petit point ones like you showed in the ad, and the typical "granny" purse like the one you won. They remind me of my Grandma, and she always let me look around in her purse. Great memories!
    Happy VTT!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finds! I'm glad they make you happy and evoke fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure about that "calling to me" business. If you listen very closely, you will hear it is Steve telling you get out of the store. You never cease to amaze me with all these things you are not collecting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i would love to get my hands on that darling little basket with the mushrooms on the lid..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your vintage purses! Thanks for sharing them with us. So very pretty!
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a post on a vintage hankie. A hankie needs to be in these purses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You find the coolest stuff! I think the granny purses are pretty neat. I'd carry one... and I'm 24! :) I love things that add something unique to an outfit. Apparently I need to start stopping by the Goodwill every now and then. I have one right down the street from my house. I take stuff there all the time but never really stop to look (except sometimes for the random end table or book shelf).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ummmmmmm, this will just be our little secret Suzanne..and I'll whisper..shhhhh,I think you have a collection..ummmm,I think you're a purse collector. :). But I won't tell..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Purses! They are so fun and so "Retro" Very chic these days to wear a vintage purse. I think they are great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suzanne,
    I had alittle purse like the one with the wooden lid! Thanks for hosting VTT. I love the posts.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Granny purses & love the ads :-) Your basket purse, what a find!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are great...and I LOVE the idea of Vintage Thingy Thursday! I will be back to post a link to my very first one later tonight. Just wanted to say that I'm inspired to go check out some antique shops tomorrow...thanks for an enjoyable look around your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That basket purse with the mother of pearl is GORGEOUS! I wouldn't call this a collection, more like a rescue home/shelter for abandoned purses?
    Interesting that there have been complaints about non-visitors, I've noticed my comments going down by more than 1/2. Also people linking in who don't have a VTT post and don't mention VTT, just a bunch of other "thrifty" parties.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rumor has it that 3 or more of anything is considered a collection. I'm just saying.... Haha!

    As always, thanks for hosting Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  19. GREAT purses! You know, even if you don't collect vintage purses, a gal can never have TOO many purses :-)

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Suzanne, I love seeing what you'll show on Thursdays and these purses are no disappointment. I especially love the one with the Mother of Pearl looking squares. That is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Suzanne! I have some vintage purses that somehow just followed me home too! I love vintage bags! Isn't it wonderful to own something that brings back happy memories of your grandmother? I am sure yours was just as special to you as mine was to me. I think all of your vintage bags are fab and I am so happy that they just followed you home for you to enjoy for years to come! Thanks again for being our lovely VTT hostess! I would not miss it!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  22. The granny bags and the petit point ads are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You may not collect purses but you certainly have wonderful taste! I love all of them! The basket purse is wonderful and I loved the story-I once left a purse on top of the car, drove off, got home and couldn't find my bag. Later that day, I got a phone call-someone had found my purse and we went and picked it up...nothing was missing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the little mushroom basket purse! It's so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic purses that you're NOT collecting in your NON collection! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so loving the purse that looks like a picnic basket.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Suzanne :) Thank you so much for loving that purse! I'm so glad it found a home...

    and the cup too and I'll get the other one out to you soon! And I'm glad you liked the dish towel too! Surprise on that!



    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those are great!! In fact, I was planning on doing purses for my VTT today but decided to wait until next week!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like that. You don't collect purses, they collect you. I am going to use that for my reason of having so much stuff. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I absolutely love that picnic-like handbag you got for $2 ! How sweet! Love it and I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Suzanne, Thank You for hosting another Vintage Thingies Thursday. It is always fun....Julian

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have one of the needlepoint bags from my grandmother! I hardly use it - my glasses case is too big, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Suzanne this seems to be a perfectly lovely following of vintage lovers. I just came from Ann's and have a vintage item on my blog today and have lots of thing. Being old as dirt I think I would love this fun meme. So I am going to link up and post your button and so on. I hope I do it right. Looking forward to getting to know you. blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  34. I don't even like to carry a purse most days but they seem to collect me too!

    I can't get over the $2 bag! Pristine and gorgeous. Adorable mushroom bag and funny story too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love all the bags. Did you see the one I found last week check out my post for Yard Sale finds.
    Thanks for hosting. Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  36. In the 60's I had a purse like the wicker one. It was the same size but without a pattern on the front. I carried it a lot as I remember. Pretty each and everyone. I'm glad you don't collect them. Happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  37. These purses are just great! I love the individual styles! That basket purse for $2 is just adorable!
    Thanks for inspiring me today!
    Danylle

    ReplyDelete
  38. the basket purse is soooooooooo dreamy. I love it. It would have to be my Springtime, out to lunch bag. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, Suzanne I am really in love with the third purse that you featured. The rattan one with the squares on it. I would have snagged it the moment I saw it. : ) What fantastic deals!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...