Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Vintage Bread and Butter Pickles Recipe

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a really good time each and every week!!!
If you are new to this party, please take the time to
read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. Please only ONE link per week. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies on display that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much.

I had several friends comment on facebook this week for my canning recipes I have been using. You see, when you have lots of vines that are loaded with things that look like this.....


You have to make a decision to not let them go to waste and start canning. Honestly, it was a good excuse to put my hubby to work.....he sliced and sliced until he got a brilliant idea and starting using the food processor....he proclaims now, he will never chop again!


I was able to snap this photo before he got so smart!!! If you ever want to have a couple of extra hands in the kitchen, husband really chop vegetables pretty well....try it sometime!!

Here is a recipe that was in a very old cookbook I picked up an estate sale a few years ago....very easy and very good!!!

Bread and Butter Pickles

3 pounds medium size cucumbers
2 medium white onions, sliced thin
1/2  large red pepper, washed, seeded and chopped
2  Tablespoons canning salt
1  1/4 C. sugar
1 1/4  C. cider vinegar


1 1/2  teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon  ground cloves


Wash cucumbers and cut off  both ends.  Slice cucumbers as thin as possible. A food processor works great, or slice by hand. Next,  layer cucumbers, onions, peppers and salt in a bowl. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain cucumbers and onions and peppers and rinse in cold water.


Next: Combine vinegar, sugar and spices in large none reactive pot and bring to a boil. Add cucumbers, onions and peppers to pot and heat, but do not boil. Remove from heat. Pack pickles into clean jars, leaving 1/2" head space. Wipe jar rims. Seal. Process 5 minutes in a boiling water bath. Makes 4 pints


I doubled this recipe and made 8 pints. I'd say I had about 10-14 cucumbers ranging from mid size to a few large ones. I had two bowls full of sliced cucumbers, onions and peppers. I know it is hard to gauge how much will make from the cucumbers you have, but this is as close as I can get to what we used. They are sliced very thin, not thick.


We also have canned two batches of jalapeno peppers, and I will be canning more sweet pickles and peppers this weekend. I can hardly believe we have had enough peppers to can so many already...the vines are FULL of peppers...so I have lots to do!! I am also making dill pickles from a vintage recipe too! I am thinking I will be canning all day on Sunday, as I am over run with vegetables this year. 

If i decide to try something is must be easy and quick as I start doubting myself if it is not that way. I will see how it goes and post that recipe next week on the dill pickles  and show you how it is done....step by step so if you want to try it, that way you can follow along.


Here are the peppers from the first batch we canned. I used a great recipe from a fellow vintage thingie thursday participant, Potholes and Pantyhose. You can find her step by step recipe HERE....very easy!!!


And to keep with the rules....here is a vintage canning jar......


......the only thing canned in these jars are vintage buttons!! Now that is one easy canning job here folks...fill, close the lid, sit on a shelf and done!!!


Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday!!! If you try the pickle recipe, I'd love to hear how it went!! 



17 comments:

  1. Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday, Suzanne :)
    Thanks for hosting!
    Greetings from Australia♥
    ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do love pickles, Suzanne, and wish I could have some of yours! I am currently being overrun with zucchini myself. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of zucchini and am thinking about canning zucchini relish as well....if I don't run out of time!

      Delete
  3. These look so good! I've never tried canning before, but used to help my mom can apricots when I was young. I've canned buttons before and they're always a treat:-) Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spoted the pyrex bowl you were mixing all the goodies in! Makes me think of my mom, she always had canned tomato's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How SWEET to make bread and butter pickles in an OLD PYREX Bowl!!! Oh My all those goodies look fantastic and bring back memories of yesteryear!
    Have a FUN WEEK,
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing all this bread and butter pickles in jars. Mmmm. My jars just hold spools and buttons and sea shells, not as tasty at all. Thanks for hosting this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Suzanne! Your bread and butter pickles look delish. They are my Mom's favorites, so we really must try your recipe. Thanks for the party.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for another link party! Just like Grandma used to make, I came up with a Simple, Tasty Granola (# 20 ) that's sweetened with Agave Nectar or honey. It's very good for you! Hope you like my recipe!
    Rebekah-www.potholesandpantyhose.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMMMM...your pickles look amazing! My grandmother always made home-canned bread and butters. I miss them! Thanks for hosting. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to make pickles, etc, but life is a bit too busy. They just taste better, don't they??? I have several old canning jars I use for storage as well. I love them! Thanks for hosting and happy VTT!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pickles but I don't make them...yours look so good. Oh I do love that jar with buttons...I have several of those. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look so yummy Suzanne and so much fun! We're in our second year of trying to grow tomatoes, hoping to branch out and have a veggie garden next year.

    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember my mom making those.

    Me? I'm a dill kinda girl - - - but I don't make them either.

    Sad Face

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you for hosting and for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mom makes great bread and butter pickles!!! Yum!
    Thanks for hosting the party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for such a sweet memory and yummy recipe. I remember my Mom making those. Maybe I'll give it a try.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...