Thursday, March 5, 2015

Screen Doors......Old Screen Doors

There are certain things that creep into my thoughts from my childhood at the most unexpected times. Sometimes, things I have not thought about in years, or things I gave up on obtaining many years ago.

This past week, out of the blue one of those memories came flooding back into my mind and it was quickly added on a "must have" list I am making as we are in the process of looking for a new or at least new to us house to purchase this year......let me just say it is a daunting task...house hunting that is.


It occurred to me this week, that my kids have never known the sound of the spring stretching on an old screen door as it opens, and then the quick slamming sound as it pops back against the door frame.

My grandmother had an old screen door on her porch that lead to her back yard. Many a Sunday afternoons were spent when I was a young girl of me running out that old screen door. Then as I would turn loose of the wood frame,  and as the door slammed shut, I remember my mom and aunt always in unison yelling..."don't slam the door" and before they could get the words out...the door popped shut and off the porch I would go. Honestly, I did not really slam the door, the door just sorta slammed itself.

There isn't anything at all romantic about an old screen door, but the memories they evoke are the romantic fibers of my heart. I can remember as if it was yesterday, the smell of Sunday chicken frying from my grandma's kitchen. My mom and aunt would be working right alongside my grandma and  the meals they turned out of that kitchen are the memories that can make your mouth water. 

I always loved her screen door, I loved the smooth feel of the plain iron handle, nothing fancy, just functional, but it had a certain feel in my young girls hand. I loved the safety lock which was nothing more than a simple eye hook and hook. I liked locking and unlocking that door as I stood looking out into the back yard. I also loved locking my sister (clearly by accident) out of the kitchen. I loved the chippy paint and I loved how my grandma had little square patches for repairs in the screen of the door.



I wish my kids had been able to experience the simplicity of old screen doors. We always had storm doors on the front of our home. My kitchen door was not to where I could put up a screen door as the pitch of the roof outside the back door would not allow for one. Thus I gave up that dream of having a screen door long ago. It occurred to me, kids today for the most part, never will know the sounds, feels and fascination like I always had with my grandma's screen door.

My must have list for my new house has included a door in the kitchen to the outside, and one that will allow for an old fashion screen door. I don't want a new one, I want an old one. I want one that evokes all the nostalgia and memories I carry in my heart of days gone by. I want to recreate all the warm and fond memories that came from inside that screen door on Sunday afternoons in the summertime. 

I wonder....is it really the screen door itself that holds my fascination and longings? Or is it the memories that are intertwined with the memory of a certain screen door my heart is longing for?

It is a rather simple item to be added to a list of "must haves" in searching for a new house, but one that I don't see myself crossing off the list as not attainable. 

Oh, and about that list......there are really two list....one that I talk about with my husband......and then one that is written in my heart. The second list is the one I am afraid I stay a little more focused on most of the time. The old screen door is item number three on the list.......stay tuned.

17 comments:

  1. I love wooden screen doors, too. Now that our kids are grown, my husband "upgraded" us to fancy pants steel doors with retractable screens. Real doors. I fixed him - I bought a good old wooden screen door and nailed it to the side of my shed. I added a nail and a grapevine wreath and I have the screen door of my dreams. Unfortunately you can't slam it . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought my eyes were playing tricks on me from the snow when I saw you had up a post. You are such an excellent writer, wish you had time to do more Who would have ever thought of this much to say about an old screen door. Be careful and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a screen door for my pantry and yes, it slams! Hope you are doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the best when it comes to expressing your feelings in writing. Never realized just a plain, simple old screen door could mean so much. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We stayed at a bed and breakfast where the owner had installed an old screen door as the closet door. She sadly told us that one of the people who had stayed there proudly told her that he had oiled the door for her and gotten rid of the squeak. He just didn't get it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the old fashioned screen doors too. I have one in my pantry so that I don't have to close my door that separates my apartment from the rest of the main house. I originally put it up to keep my cat from going out into the house. Now it is just a way to keep my regular door open all the time.

    You definitely have a beautiful talent for writing. I love reading your stories. Glad to see you back blogging. You've been missed. Have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I so agree! I wanted one like the Walton's had and the noise it made. And when I bought my 1904 Victorian it was one of the first things I did! My Grandparents did not have them like yours. Love hearing happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your read and your screen doors. Just looking and I found you.

    I live in the country in Canada and I am surrounded cottages everywhere. When we went on vacation. We had screen doors.
    Brings back memories. Last house I was at. It had a screen door.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been on a hiatus from blogging and glad to be back just so I can read blogs like yours that I relate to---bang, oops. My great grandmother's had a thingie with a little roller that kept it from banging. But they wore out and the door didn't close all the way and in came the flies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to find you again! I hope that 2015 will be better for you. -Linnea

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy your posts and miss seeing you here. I know you have a full plate these days but I so treasure knowing you. I miss the Senior Birthday days and I am always willing to send a card if anyone has folks that need some cheering up! Your chicken resort is always making me smile. This old screen door is gorgeous and you always have the right words to share. Enjoy your week and take care friend! Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suzanne, I loved reading this post. I too remember the screen door, but my best memory of my grandparents house is the smell of the little back porch. The smell of pears, bushels of them from the pear tree in their side yard. All us grandkids would always climb the cherry tree, pick raspberries, collect the eggs from the henhouse, but the smell of pears always takes me back to that little back porch. I hope you find the perfect screen door for your new home. Thanks for sharing. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is nice to see your blog...I too remember the screen door slamming..when I had my store I found one along the curb for the
    trash man I quickly scarfed it up and put it in my store as a prop for display..but I have seen them at the big box stores the come unfinished ...so you could make it old to look like those years gone by...good luck with the hunt and if you get time show us some pics of what you find...blessing donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too LOVE old screen doors. Ours had a makeshift handle made from a wooden thread spool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful writing. When's the next installment?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love screen doors. We have one on our back door and it does help to bring in the nice cool breezes. Not today though. It's like 95 out there..lol
    Joy @ Books and Life

    ReplyDelete
  17. Many a Sunday afternoons were spent when I was a young girl of me running out that old screen door. Then as I would turn loose of the wood ... swooddoors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...