Wednesday, August 19, 2009

VINTAGE THINGIES THURSDAY: Mid-Century Atomic Bowls


Welcome to this weeks segment of Vintage Thingies Thursday. Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone. If you are visiting and would like to join us, please do. It is very easy!
To participate, all you have to do is:

* * * * * * * Please everyone, follow these guidelines!

(1) do a post about something vintage.
(2) Visit all the participates and leave a comment.
(3) Link in with the link at the bottom of this post, please use a perma-link to link in with, that way, anyone can refer back to your post if they can not get to it on Thursday.
(4) Be sure to refer back to my blog so everyone can see who is participating today, and if you like include the VTT button in your post. Please be sure to have your post up before linking in.

This week, I want to share some of my Goodwill finds from a few weeks ago, I tell ya' that day, I hit the mother lode.


I found this set of 3 atomic mid century bowls. They are small, maybe for custard or a small bowl of soup. They are wonderful vintage bowls and depict that time period fabulously.


I have learned from a little research, this type of china,or anything with an atomic feel has burst and become very popular again. I just love these bowls. But do you think I'd want to sell them....well, not really. I really like them and think they are very unusual.

You know, I don't know why I have a knack for finding 3 or 5 of things...very seldom will I find 4 or 6 of anything. I got these for $1.50 for all three, and was really happy. The bottoms of these are marked,
Syracuse China, 6-1, USA
Don't you just think they scream mid century America?

On this same day, I found this lovely cup and saucer. This is also marked Syracuse China, USA. Look at the lovely details on the saucer.

This looks like it was never used. I am thinking it is part of restaurant ware, as it has the fell of that type of china. I think it is rather charming...and as usual, only one was found. Not bad for .75 cents.

Alas, my luck must have ran out that day, as this is about all I have found worthy of mentioning in a few weeks. This week, I did find a couple of things, and an amazing find (I think) at a Thrift Store for .25 cents. I will save these for another day.....

I have some really great things to share next week, Steve and Jeff have been in Colorado this week, and well...when I say I have missed some rather RARE occurrences, well, that is an understatement. I am hoping between the two of them, they have some pictures of the events that unfolded this week high in the Rockies and I will be able to share these unique experiences with you....told by the two of them.


Have a great Vintage Thingie Thursday everyone, and a blessed rest of your week.

40 comments:

  1. Those bowls are cute. I think they are probably restaurant soup cups (soup is much more popular than custard).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you find the odd numbers because your inner decorating guru knows that things should be grouped in odd numbers! These bowls look really little, almost like ramekins. Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those bowls are verry sweet & verry retro :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bowls! I bet the "Jetsons" had those bowls. I'm guessing that your family saw the tornado that touched down in that area yesterday. Am I right? We had a terrible storm, but no tornado here. Thank goodness. Hope everyone is safe. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I usually don't like mid century, but those are so darn cute!

    I wish that I could get my hands on some Syracuse. I just don't find it here, even at antique stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Mid-century modern, those were
    the years of wonderful creativity
    in home goods! These bowls are wonderful finds, people scoop this
    era up ASAP because of great resale
    values.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I collect old ironstone too. My white ironstone of choice is Buffalo Ware,but Syracuse china was very popular when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's.
    My favorite is the cup and saucer. It's just beautiful. Wish I had a whole set of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pretty blue and white cup. I had railroad china that looked very much like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man-oh-man, your thrift stores rock! Great finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always find the coolest things..you lucky,lucky girl. I love the little bowls and cup with little saucer. They're all really pretty.
    Happy VTT..have a wonderful weekend..and thanks so much for hosting us all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those bowls are cool and the cup is pretty. You always find neat stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen those type of bowls before. I guess I am not in the know regarding some of these types of things. Have not participated in VTT for awhile. Happy to be here this time!

    ~Linnea

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the bowls, I had some dishes with those colors.

    Happy Thursday.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice vintage dishes! I also only seem to find odd number of dishes. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lot of people really love that retro look. Reminds me of the Jetsons cartoon! How fun!Thanks for hosting once again.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  16. The little bowls are really nice! I think you find 3 or 5 because the owners want to get rid of them because the one of the set is broken and they need 4 or 6!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always find the neatest things! Those are very 50s and I know they'd fit perfectly in my neighbors home across the street). The home is original in every sense of the word (built 1954) and is in perfect condition. Right down to the original fixtures and bathrooms/kitchen. Walking into that home is like stepping back in time. She even has her dishes from her wedding day more then 60 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Suzanne, the bowls are super cute being small in size, maybe they are meant for dessert or chinese tea perhaps? hehehe.. but your cup & saucer really got me.. for .75cents.. that a great find! thanks for sharing this & happy VTt.. have a great weekend!
    xo
    fitty

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Suzanne, I haven't joined you on Thursdays in a while. Good to be here today.
    Those bowls are so 50ish!
    You always have the best stuff!
    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  20. How is it that I never find things at the second hand stores like all of you? Those bowls are so cute!Oh and you daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cute! I discovered an Atomic Warehouse nearby that I am DIEING to get into to.
    You sure do have the knack!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I've never seen these--very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your bowls and the restaurant china! That royal blue is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, my goodness! I am officially driving to Colorado just to steal those bowls from you! HA! I TOTALLY ADORE THEM!!!! What a fantastic find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. love the restaurant mug...it begs to be used for morning coffee!
    have a wonderful day~
    chasity

    ReplyDelete
  26. Suzanne,
    I'm always learning something knew. First time I've heard about atomic bowls. So retro looking!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  27. All your finds are vintage items. I do not understand it, I can go to these places and never find a thing. You must have some kind of vintage sense for these stores. I like them all, but the little blue trimmed cup is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just discovered your and hope you'll come for a visit. I will grab your button and post to this.
    I have a new party as well.
    the KNOCK OFF KNOCK OUT.

    Cheri
    Its So Very Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  29. The atomic motif bowls and the blue and white cup and saucer are great finds. The designs are very pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those really are great finds! I love the atomic theme, and this is one I haven't seen before. I had to cut back on thrift shopping because I'm rapidly running out of space to store and display everything I'd like to bring home with me!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Suzanne, your bowls are very different and I think you are right about them. The cup and saucer probably was from a business. Great finds. Enjoy them.

    Hugs...Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Suzanne! I wonder where "Restaurant Antoine" was located? It had lovely china, wherever it was.

    Those little custard cups are darling. I'll bet they held their share of Junket in their day.

    I think people are more likely to donate odd sets of items, but you can also console yourself with "the rule of 3" -- things look better that way! Look at your pile of cups -- it wouldn't be as visually pleasing with 4 of them!

    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  33. Coming late to the party today! But I just love the fun pattern on your cups, makes me want to watch the Brady Bunch....

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for hosting my favorite day of the week. Enjoyed your post. I like the restaurant cup and saucer best but I love all dishes with a touch of aqua!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think all these pieces look very "restauranty" - - - you know, the heavy weight of the china. Brings back memories - - -

    ReplyDelete
  36. they are in great shape!!! never seen any like them...but they are definitely neat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You have a talent for getting the goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great finds! I'm going down the list of Thursday posts. Such fun! I've been going to join in for a month now but got busy in the gardens and going to the hospital off and on to see my Father who is sick.
    Hopefully this Thursday will be my first. Oops forgot my cousin and I are making lunch for my parents but I can do it the day before and post it early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great bowls, but I love the cup and saucer from the restaurant! laurie

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...