Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Vintage Dresser Updated

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a really good time each and every week!!!
If you are new to this party, please take the time to
read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. Please only ONE link per week. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies on display that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much.

When my daughter was moving to Austin, she wanted a larger dresser than what she had in the past. So naturally, I was on the lookout for something larger that was made of good wood and would be something that would last.

I found this dresser on Craigslist, and the price was right, so I went to pick it up. When my daughter saw it she just sorta made a face ...... like... ummmmm...that was not really what I had in mind.


She rather reluctantly told me that this sorta looks like for a little girl. I quickly made the comment along the lines of... " A little girl?"



Well, I was a little shocked at that and said something to the affect  that she actually WAS still a little girl to me....as you can guess, that did not go over too well.


I guess at the age of 24 years old going on 25, the little girl image is not what one might be after. So I did what every thrifty person I know would have done.....reworked that dresser into something fit for an old lady, I mean a  young woman.


So out in the back yard it went. After sanding, painting, and sanding some more this turned out to be the perfect dresser for my daughter. She loved it.


New knobs from Hobby lobby were added for a more updated look. Those cost me almost as much as the dresser did to begin with....I was so glad they have 40% coupons. It only took me about 12 visits to purchase these at an affordable price and doing that I was able to replace the knobs.


Sanding around the edges and corners added the distressed look I love so well.


It turned out like I thought it would. As you can see, the mirror never made it with the dresser. That was still a little too "little girl" like for her. So we scraped the mirror, I think I sold it in a garage sale for what I paid for the dresser to begin with. ~ go figure~


All in all, very little was spent on this piece, and it works wonderfully in her room. What about you? Have you tried your hand a re purposing pieces of furniture and giving them a new updated look?

Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday!! Have a wonderful week.



21 comments:

  1. Wow, it doesn't even look like the same dresser. I got a good laugh at all your trips to Hobby Lobby with the coupons. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price of knobs is out of this world...or at least these were!!! It took lots of trips!

      Delete
  2. What a pretty room and the dresser is perfect. Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing what a difference some paint will make? I have abattered dresser I am thinking of painting...you've inspired me to get serious about it!
    Cheers!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that turned out gorgeous! The new coat of black paint is quite striking. Thanks for hosting VTT! Nan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have actually never re-finished furniture like this, but would love to try it! The dresser turned out beautifully! Thank you for the opportunity to link up a vintage thingie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a wonderful job Suzanne. It looks so modern now but you are right it really wasn't bad before. I have noticed that a lot of people do appreciate vintage furniture but they want it updated. More contemporary colors and cleaner designs. Had to laugh too at the HL trips. I would have done the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried black paint on furniture. Your redo looks great.
    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful job! I love the dresser makeover! Thanks for hosting and doing what you do! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a really great job on the dresser. And Thank You for hosting this evening.....Tallulah

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful, I agree it's so much more grown up. Love the bed throw,it matches perfectly.
    x jeanetteann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing!!! And aren't coupons wonderful?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter is the same age and it's so fun to see them develop their own design aesthetic. I'm sure it was a lot of work repainting the dresser, but your effort paid off. It's stunning. The knobs are great. Thanks for hosting this fun party, Suzanne!
    Lynn at Cottage and Creek
    Email: Lynn@nsytes.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Suzanne! Looks sooo good. You inspire me. Keep up the good work. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, at least you finally made her happy! your orginial intent. Turned out good and to think if you sold the mirror for what you paid for the dresser, what a bargin!
    Thanks for hosting as always!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a new reader and I love your blog! I have an almost 6 month old dachshund named Nash who looks very similar to your Dora! Here's a link to one of my blog posts with lots of pictures of him: http://www.foreverandarecipe.com/2011/12/wordless-wednesday.html - I'd love for you to check it out! Your pups are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the dresser makeover, great job!!
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  17. It turned out perfect for the rest of her decor. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your repurpose was fantastic! And it does match the bedding perfectly.

    And I will have to side with your daughter on the original. When I saw the photo before reading, I excitedly though, "That looks like the dresser I had when I was little!" It's still a pretty dresser, but the remake is awesome for a young woman!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Suzanne you did a wonderful job on your daughters dresser. Her bedroom is gorgeous. I love the black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, you did a beautiful job on the dresser! A lot of hard work, that's for sure! It really looks different now!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...