Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Vintage Thingie Thursday: 1962

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a really good time each and every week!!!
If you are new to this party, please take the time to
read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. Please only ONE link per week. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies on display that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much.

Thank you so much for stopping by. I have been busy working on a project that needs immediate attention and in a timely fashion.  If you missed my post last night about donating quilt blocks for a little girl battling cancer, click here to see if it is something you can do! Thanks in advance. 


This week, it is a flash back from 50 years ago.....because of my very vintage self and turning 50 today....thought this would be a little out of the normal for me, and fun memories of hard to believe 50 years ago. 



Typical kitchen in 1962. Love the appliances and how the different textures are in the one room.



1962 Frigidaire add for Flair Ranges. Oh. How I love this range. My aunt had one of these in her kitchens for years. It was not pink, and I am sure it was a newer model than this one, but I always was amazed by this kitchen appliance, and honestly today, if I could fine one that worked, I'd have it! I loved the double ovens, and the stove part would close up like a drawer when not in use. Lots of memories from being in the kitchen and meals cooked on this stove. It is a fond memory for me.





John H. Glenn, Jr., became the first American to orbit the earth during Friendship 7 orbit.



  Take a look at this 1962 ad from Inland Homes. It is so hard to believe that was only 50 short years ago.


Average Cost of new house $12,500.00
Average Income per year $5,556.00
Average monthly rent $110.00 per month

Tuition to Harvard University $1,520.00

Average Cost of a new car $3,125.00

Eggs per dozen 32 cents
Gas per Gallon 28 cents




In 1962 the birth of surfing music by the beach boys grew in popularity and in England....



The Beatles record the single, "Love Me Do" was all the rage. The new hit for television was the Beverly Hillbillies.


Here is a look at the spring fashions for 1962.....very Jackie O and so stylish


Here is another ad from a magazine in 1962.

One of the new toys for 1962:

Made by: Fisher Price
Price: 79 cents - $1.69

Description Rings on a cone to help babies develop hand-eye coordination and learn their colors. Choose from a set with six rings or a set with ten rings.


And yes...I am sure I had one of these!!


Here is a video of a television commercial for Imperial Sugar....seems Sam Houston's favorite cake was white cake.......




(Click the arrow to view the commercial)

It happens to by my favorite as well.....Thanks for letting me stroll down a half a century ago during the year I was born!



Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday!! Have a wonderful week!




31 comments:

  1. Happy Happy Birthday to you!!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 50th Birthday! I turned 50 last summer. It's not so bad after all! Your cake looks delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Great post. Thanks for sharing your day with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved walking the memory lane with you tonight. Hope you have the happiest of birthdays!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! this was a fun walk down memory lane! I was born in 1963 so, I will be seeing the big 50 next year. Thanks for hsoting and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! I'm a new visitor to your blog and am enjoying my visit. Thanks so much for hosting.

    Angie @ Knick of Time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!!
    I laughed at the first picture with the Kitchen with the turquoise appliances. My Dad built our home in 1962 and we had a turquiose Kitchen! Appliances and countertops!

    Thanks for hosting!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Suzanne! I love the post, as I remember all of this. That range is awesome!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy B'day Suzanne!
    Don't ya just love the vintage magazines. They're little time capsules ready to be opened. Around here I can find them as low as $2. It kills me when I see those booths that sell ads by the peice, where they tear mags apart and pitch the rest, then charge $4.95 and up for the frameable ad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the old ads! I scour the internet looking for things like this-they are inspiring when it comes to sewing my own clothes, designing sets for my photo shoots and living my vintage life!
    Thanks for hosting the linky party and good morning! I have a recipe for DIY Organic Eye Makeup Remover. It only takes two ingredients-super simple and cheap. I love it, as do my little sensitive eyes! Have a great week!
    Rebekah-www.potholesandpantyhose.co

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing you a very Happy 50th Birthday Suzanne! Love all the images, especially that Flair stove in pink. Wouldn't it be fun to have one of those? Didn't Samantha have one on Bewitched? And the rate of inflation is shocking. I don't think one could build a garage today for what it cost to build an entire house in the 60's! Have a wonderful birthday and many more happy and healthy ones.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! And, thank you for all the reminders of my life...I turn 50 next year, so watch out! ~Kelly

    unDeniably Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  13. My inlaws were the only people I ever knew who had a stove like the one in the Frigidaire ad! It wasn't pink, though. Their kitchen was very small, but a lot of very good meals were created there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wish I could remember when I was fifty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy 50th Birthday. A milestone. Great seeing 1962 all over again. I was a young teen at the time and remember the magazine styles for clothes and the history of men into space. Thanks for hosting. I enjoy visiting every couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! I love your post. So nostalgic! When you're older than dirt you remember that stuff! I had the album...etc!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Happy Birthday Suzanne"!!! Thank you for that fun trip down memory lane. I remember the 60s OH SO WELL!!! The spring outfit brings me back to those PASTEL DAYS of shopping for a new Easter Outfit! HOW FUN THAT WAS!!! And oh yes, that NEW SPRING COAT! with little white gloves(LOVED MY Little White Gloves)! Have a WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY GIRL!!! Big Hugs to you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday Suzanne! Happy 50th also! 1962 was a great year! These ads were fun as I was 12 year old in 1962 so I remember most of this! Have a wonderful day! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy 50th, Suzanne and thanks for the memories of 1962! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday, Suzanne! You are one decade younger than I -- so I remember all these 1962 things quite clearly!

    When Howard and I were house hunting in the 1980s, we actually looked at TWO houses with those pull-out stoves; they scared the life out of me. I could just picture a kid running through a kitchen and pushing in the stove with a pot of pasta boiling on it!

    Yes, I AM nuts.
    LOVE this post, thanks!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday! My "Little" sister was born in 1962....the baby of our family...it was a very good year...thanks for the stroll down memory lane....

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I turned fifty the other day :) wow...this is depressing!
    Happy day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday!!!
    Love all the vintage items!!! The typewriter looks so cool! =D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Darlin

    I remember every thing you mentioned and all the pictures I remember also. I loved the turquoise appliances and when I got married that is what I wanted, never got.

    Happy Birthday kid

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I do love those elegant clothes from the 60's, we never left the house without hat & gloves & stockings,LOL! Dates me Suzanne!
    Happy birthday, blogland friend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the trip back to 1962! Very cool images. Happy birthday to ya =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Woohoo Miss Suzanne...Happy, happy birthday to you. Girl, I've got almost ten years on ya!!!

    Ya might say I have a 'Vintage Thingy' on my post today. It's an old radio like I had as a Tween through my college days.

    Ya have yourself a blessed day my friend filled with love, laughter and cake baby...piles of cake heaped high with frostin'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Belated Happy Birthday! Lots of doggie kisses coming at you from here.

    This was one of my favorite posts ever, and I am delighted to say I remember many of them first hand!

    ReplyDelete
  30. ♪♫ Happy, Happy Belated Birthday! ♫♪
    My best friend growing up had a stove just like that growing up and I remember thinking how cool it was to pull that magic drawer out and viola, there were the burners! Gosh, I haven't thought about that for years. Ahh, life seemed so much simpler, so much more innocent in the 60's. I remember listening to the Beach Boys, The Beatles and The Dave Clark Five on my little 45's. Thanks for the memories, blessings, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  31. The 1960s and 1970s were colorful! Happy Birthday to a dear lady! I know I left you a phone message and had I been able to sing I would have! You would have needed mental health therapy after I warbled you a tune! Hee Hee! Blessings and many more beautiful and healthy happy birthdays to you !

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...