Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Vintage Recipe: Don't Waste The Grapes Salad

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a really good time each and every week!!!
If you are new to this party, please take the time to
read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. Please only ONE link per week. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies on display that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much.

This week, I want to share a salad recipe that a belonged to the grandma of a friend of mine. She said she called it "don't waste the grapes salad" and well, as funny as she always was...I can certainly see and imagine her saying that.

This is amazingly good. It keeps for several days, I made this and on day four after it was made, it was really better than the first day. It is so good.

Below is the original recipe....but with the modern adjustments.


"Don't Waste The Grapes Salad" by Doreen Norwood

Ingredients:

3-5 pounds wild seedless grapes picked fresh ( I used green and red seedless)

1 cup warm goats cheese ( I used one 8oz. package cream cheese softened)

1 cup real cream at room temp. ( I used one 8oz. container sour cream)

about 1/2 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

splash of lemon juice ( I did not have any lemon, so I omitted this all together)

about 1 1/2 cups nut meats ( I used pecans, but you could use walnuts)

2 Tablespoon brown sugar

To Prepare:

Pick grapes off stems and wash and dry. Set aside. Cream with large spoon cheese, cream sugar and vanilla. ( I used a hand mixer to cream the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla.)  Add grapes to large bowl and swoosh until all is mixed and coated well. Lastly, mix brown sugar and nut meats and mix again. Chill until ready to serve.


* Footnote: bottom of recipe card read:  Note:  when you have a lot of grapes to harvest and get tired of making jelly, this is a great addition to your dinner table. Don't waste the grapes is a staple at Sunday dinner around here and has been for nearly 50 years or minus the years we did not get a good grape crop. It is a no fail dish.



The substitutions I used worked well. This is so good, creamy and refreshing on a hot afternoon with just a little something is what you need to make it till dinner. Trust me, it is oh. so. good and keeps well for several days.

Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday!


15 comments:

  1. Oh, I love salads with grapes and apples, this recipe you shared sounds yummy! Great for the C'mas holidays too with walnuts, or as you say. Thank you for hosting once more. Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting recipe - sounds yummy :)
    Thanks for hosting! Greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had this salad for the first time this past spring. It was delish! Thanks for the recipe, I'll be making it often. Warm Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my this looks so good. I love grapes and a refreshing salad like that is just the thing this time of year! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suzanne, I make this salad. It was given to me by a friend. I think I need to ask her where she got it. Her recipe calls for cream cheese. I don't make it often, but I love it. Thanks for hosting.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a great salad! I love fruit salads in the summer...and we have actually had a few summer days...although it rained a lot on last weekend's annual Sequim Lavender Festival. Sigh...Thanks for hosting!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hosting, new here, great blog, linky following, and joined the party! Hope to see you visit and follow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Suzanne. Your salad sound delicious. Thanks for hosting yet another party. Very much appreciated.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi
    I was thinking about you & Sophie & Dora & Bailey the other day
    I went into a wonderful kitchen shop and she has soaps shaped like little Dachshund dogs . I think they are so cute but something like $20 each !!!!!

    thanks for hosting this party I like coming over

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for hosting Suzanne! Happy to be joining in with my fun peanut butter glasses. Loving the grape salad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Suzanne!
    I love this post! Thanks so much for the delicious recipe and the smiles I got reading about the "Don't Waste The Grapes Salad". So darling. Can't wait to try the recipe, sounds just like something my grandmother would have made.

    Thanks for hosting and Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suzanne, As one who love grapes this recipe is a keeper. It sounds wonderful and I think it would good to serve at a luncheon. I am thinking of when I have to host garden club.
    We know those old tried and true recipes are the best. Thanks for sharing,
    xo Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  13. saw this blog and decided to join in for the first time..

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Grape Salad sounds perfect for this very hot summer! Thanks for sharing and for hosting the party!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...