Saturday, September 7, 2013

Baby Girl Quilt ~ Baby Lattice Quilt Pattern

My husband most of the time happily does his part in the quilting process. You know what I mean, he holds the quilts up high in the air until his arms hurt and muscles burn from me taking too long to take a picture. What?? you don't know what I am talking about?? Oh...come now!!!

There is a girl who works in his office having a baby in a couple of weeks, and he sorta mentioned earlier in the summer maybe I could make her a quilt for her new baby. It was a subtle hint, but I picked up on it right away.


I was happy to do it for her. One of the things that made this one so fun for me as the colors she had chosen for her nursery were colors that are not in my typical colors I often work with.

Now, not knowing the lady personally, I was not sure what she might like. I sent my husband several styles of quilts via text to get an idea on her taste. He then, showed the pictures to her mom and we came up with this quilt. It is a nod to traditional quilt blocks in a way and that is what the new mom likes.


My husband sent me a picture via phone of the fabrics she used in her nursery. The colors were pink, bright green and the teal blue. In fact, hard it it is to believe, the fabric used for the name is the exact fabric she was using in the nursery bedding.  The pattern for the quilt is Baby Lattice Quilt and the pattern can be found on the Moda Bakeshop website. 

I added a border that changed it up a bit from the original pattern. I wanted to add the babies name to the quilt border, so I added diamond cornerstones in each corner. I love how this quilt turned out. 


Here is a close up of the quilting. The teal blue thread was used and it is just adorable on this quilt. (click photo to enlarge and get a better look)


I posed a question on facebook about the backing when I was trying to choose a backing fabric. I had this fabric in my stash, but only had enough for ONE quilt. I love this fabric, and was torn between using it, as it was perfect for this quilt or hanging on to it for a maybe project one day. I decided to use it, and love, love, love it.


I added the binding using Sweet Divinity stripe by Riley Blake. I am proud of this quilt, and can not wait to  hear what the mom says  when  my husband gives it to her.


Baby quilts are so much fun to make. I can't help but think about how precious a new little life is and all the things that are sure to come for the whole family. Best wished Brittany, as you welcome your new little girl to your family, babies are such gifts from above.

**Last night, Brittany sent a photo by text of the quilt in the new nursery. She had it draped over the bed along with her bedding. It was really special and fun to see how it worked in her nursery. 


It really does look so good with her colors. I was so excited to see the photos and happy that she loved the quilt. 


The colors are so rich and vibrant and really lovely for a baby girl. I have seen a lot of baby bedding in these colors this summer, so I am guessing it is the popular color scheme right now. I am really glad I used that wonderful fabric for the backing....it really was perfect in every way.


This is one of my very favotite quilts to date. This pattern was fun and easy, and it used up a lot of 5" charm squares I have aquired in various swaps online. I was fortunate enough that I had so many prints in my stash that worked in the colorway I needed for this quilt. This pattern may be my new go-to for future baby quilts. I really love the finished design and feel. I am excited for baby Blake to make her grand entry into the world very soon!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt, and perfect with the nursery. What amazing quilts you have shown this week. What a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely, bright, cheery quilt. It's a perfect match for the bedding, too! With baby blankets you see so much of the back side as they wriggle and roll. It was a great choice to make the back as pretty as the front.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job from selecting the fabrics to the finished quilting. Lovely....it looks amazing in the crib! Thanks for the pattern link...I'm always looking for baby quilt patterns. I've saved this one to make later.

    Enjoyed seeing the graduation quilts you posted earlier. How proud those girls must be and will be in the future for the thoughtfulness of your gifts.

    I'm back to sewing some, and quilting again for the public. It's good to be back in the sewing room. Hope to get back to Vintage Thingy Thursday soon, too.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is adorable! I love the colors and it looks wonderful in the nursery. Such a wonderful gift to give someone, one that she will cherish.

    Ranae
    thevintageshelf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Babies do love bright colors! This one is a beauty!♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  6. the quilt is wonderful
    and yes baby quilts are pretty special

    a friend helped me make quilts for all 4 of my grandsons, I sewed as she said sew this LOL

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...