Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Vintage Mid Century Mermaids

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday

If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a really good time each and every week!!!
If you are new to this party, please take the time to
read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. Please only ONE link per week. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies on display that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much. Lastly, try to make an effort to visit the other participants. I know myself, I get so behind and busy, but this year, I am going to do my best to visit each week. 

Last week, I described my shopping frenzy!  I have a confession to make....I went back the next day BEFORE the sale started. ahem. Now...that I got that off my shoulders.......

This little set was sitting on a table with a sticker that said $2.00. I walked out the door with my purchases, and dug and scrounged for $2.00 (which was about all I had left in my purse) and went back in and snapped them up.

You see, I fell in love with their sweet faces. Are these not the sweetest little mermaids you have ever seen?



I know these are for the bathroom, and I am guessing these are mid century decor. I simply LOVE these.....LOVE them!


Each one, still has the original tag on her tail. I wonder if these were just put away and not hung on the wall? I would think that the owner would have taken the tags off of them if she hung them on the wall.


One is in MINT condition, the other one has been in a little accident at some point in her life. However, she must have been very special, as she had been painstakingly put back together with what I can only imagine was with great care. I don't care one bit about any repairs one of these sweet girls have had, it does not take away from how precious they are.

As with so many things I find at estate sales, I wish with all my heart I knew the story. Were these special gifts from a child, a mother or sibling?? Were these purchased and just saved and treasured by the original owner? Did these belong to a special family member? I don't know any of those answers, but I always wonder. The colors are so vivid, and they are so pretty, I feel sure these must have been tucked away for years. What a lucky day and find!!


I decided to look on ebay for vintage mermaids....and oh, please, all....the prices of some of these very types of mid century bath decor will knock your socks off. I was blown away. I did not find another two like these, and wonder what the price would fetch if I listed them on ebay. 

Some of my family will be chanting...sell them!!!...but they will have to just relax, because these are not for sale. More times than not, I always hear the same ole thing...sell that junk!!

I have a soft spot for ceramics like these that have the cute little faces on them. These types of ceramics really do remind me of my younger sister, who passed away as a child. It is just something about them that I can not really put a finger on, but they always find a way home with me when I find things like this. I think it is because they are the types of things I know my sister would have liked. She was the girly one, and me, the tomboy of the family. When I saw these, I think that is what drew me to them, and they really remind me of her in some way. 

Have you ever in your junkin' trips ran across a pair like this?? They may not be rare at all, but I have never seen any like them, ever. I love these little mermaids and they will have a good home with me!

Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday!! Hope it is warming up in your neck of the woods!





13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting sweet lady.
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzanne, thanks for Vintage Thingie Thursday, love joining in. Have a great week.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for hosting Suzanne. Love the sweet little mermaids.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these mermaids, too! I would have bought them in a heartbeat. I have never seen any quite like them. Enjoy them and thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so glad you DID find the pennies ( or what ever!! lol )in your purse to be able to but these lovely girls xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are darling! I've seen fish ceramics similar to them, but never the mermaids. Their faces are so cute. Thanks for hosting. -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I have never seen any like these before.

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are just adorable! I used to have a pair of fish hanging in the bathroom, girl fish with big eyelashes & big red lips...all the vintage wall ceramics are so cute! Great find Suzanne. Thanks for hosting. :) Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are sooooo cute. Love the mermaids. I will have to try and find some for my granddaughter's room. Love their sweet faces.
    xoxoGinger

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need a bigger house for all your treasures. However, these cuties do not need a lot of room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They really do have the cutest faces and the color is still very vivid. Great find. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mermaids are so adorable! I've never seen any like them. I'm glad you found something special to help the memory of your sister live on. What a blessing!

    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...