The year I turned 50.....the year I decided to make a Jubilee Quilt. Well, not just one Jubilee quilt, but two actually. I started working on these a couple of weeks after turning 50 Last March, and worked on the blocks following the Barrister Block Sew Along each month. I know I have mentioned this fact about my quilting before, but I so love the actual construction of quilt blocks, one by one. However, it is in the actual construction of all the blocks into a finished top where I lose focus.
I posted about completing this top back in February. To date, it is still not off to the long-arm quilter. I fully intended to have it quilted and bound by today, but alas, it just did not happen.
I really do love the Farmers Wife blocks and this is a favorite to date of mine. So once this one was finished, I started working on the layout of the second set of blocks, which were all Christmas fabrics.
This is what I ended up with on the setting of the blocks. Using Kona Snow, these are set a bit differently that the other quilt. The blocks finished up at 9 inches. It is hard to imagine that the same blocks, using different fabrics and a different setting can make such a drastic difference.
In all actuality, I was on course to finish my goal of completing these two quilt tops by today, my 51st birthday, but life seemed to have different plans. My husband was hospitalized the first weekend in March and was in ICU. He is better now, and doing much better, but things certainly came to a screeching halt around here. And all that really is not as important as you think they are has been sorta put on hold.
I told myself this morning, that in truth, I did not start this process until about two weeks after my 50th birthday so if I want to look at it that way, I still have about two weeks to get the top put together. That is, if I can stay focused, remember I said I have a problem with that step of the quilting process.
I have had some bricks cut in the same Christmas fabrics with the intention of using them in another quilt. I think those are going to be turned into the outer border followed by a 2.5 inch border of Kona Snow to finish this top up. I really love how this one turned out as well and so glad I kept up with the process that took a whole year to complete...ahem....almost complete.
Side-note: I know I have been a bad hostess the past month and never got any links up for Vintage Thingie Thursday. I will try and have that back starting next week. I have just not been up to blogging at all....and that is really not like me to just leave ya with no explanation.
Thanksgiving at Foodie Friday -- November 27th
2 hours ago