Wednesday, September 2, 2009

VINTAGE THINGIES THURSDAY: Vintage Child cups and a Recipe

Welcome to this weeks segment of Vintage Thingies Thursday. Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone. If you are visiting and would like to join us, please do. It is very easy!
To participate, all you have to do is:

* * * * * * * Please everyone, follow these guidelines!

(1) do a post about something vintage.
(2) Visit all the participates and leave a comment.
(3) Link in with the link at the bottom of this post, please use a perma-link to link in with, that way, anyone can refer back to your post if they can not get to it on Thursday.
(4) Be sure to refer back to my blog so everyone can see who is participating today, and if you like include the VTT button in your post. Please be sure to have your post up before linking in.

This week, I want to share a recipe with you and a couple of cute vintage child cups.....Now before you have to ask, No I don't collect child cups...I actually purchased these with a purpose in mind!! Mind blowing...right?!

.....that I don't have a collection of child cups laying around that is... I found two of these at a local flea market, and they work perfectly for the purpose I needed them for. Don't you just love the one with the little hearts and flowers? I really like the colors of the other one too. So sweet.

Now, this is a vintage Shenango china bowl too, it really feels like ironstone,I like it and it works well for a display dish.....and it is displaying some homemade laundry detergent.

I have seen several people in blog land making their own soap and thought I'd give it a try.

Here is the recipe:

1 cup grated Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup 20 mule team borax

I used an older food processor to grate the soap, add washing soda and borax. Mix and store in airtight container or bag. Use one tablespoon for light or small loads, use 2 tablespoons for normal or heavy loads. Cost per load .15.

For making a large batch, use 6 bars Fels Naptha Soap and then add 3 cups of washing soda and 3 cups of 20 mule team borax.

TIP: The above recipe will NOT make suds in your washer so do not be alarmed. Fels Naptha soap is a pure soap and typically makes little or no suds in the water. This makes it perfect for use in the new HE washers as well as traditional washers. You will also notice the need to either reduce your laundry softener or in most cases you can even eliminate the use of softener completely.


VERDICT:
I made this this weekend, used it as well for laundry. Instructions were correct, not much suds, however, I like to hang my towels on the line to dry, and when I do that and do not use softener, they are stiff. This weekend, when I went to retrieve the towels from the line washed in this recipe, they were soft....I could really tell the difference, and the soap works just fine. Just wanted to share that with you guys.... I have read on-line you can use ZOTE or Ivory soap as well. I purchased the Fels Naptha on-line. I found the washing soda by Arm and Hammer at Central Market, you may have to look for that, I did have a hard time locating that product. Be sure to use WASHING SODA and not BAKING SODA....there is a difference in the products.

I am sure you could use a regular tablespoon, but because I like things vintage...I love this little child's cup for scooping the soap.... With the rising cost of everything these days, I was glad this soap worked well, I hope to save some money by not purchasing laundry detergent and eliminate the need for fabric softener too. That is a substantial savings at my house since my washing machine is always running.

Have a great weekend everyone!! I'll see ya' next week with more vintage goodies!!

45 comments:

  1. What a neat idea and your little cups are the perfect measures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzanne! I'm glad to be participating again in your party!
    I've copied down your recipe, and I'm pretty excited about it! Detergent is so expensive right now. I've got an old bar of Fels Naptha, and I will be looking for the other two ingredients. I love your little cup scoops! I've been looking for something small and pretty to use as a scoop in my sugar canister. I might have to be a copycat here. Sorry! They're too cute!
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! The cups are adorable too. I really enjoy your blog, and I'm so glad to be able to participate in "Vintage Thingies Thursday!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cups are adorable, Suzanne. But I think you bought them and THEN decided to make detergent so you'd have an excuse. HMM...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you have been successful again in doing whatever you try. You never cease to amaze me in all the things you create.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the perspective shot of you holding that bitsy cup! Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder what makes commercial detergent so bulky and expensive. I am amazed that you need to use so little of the homemade detergent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. vintage loverly post!! Love the idea of using a childs cup to put a grin on your face and a song in your heart. I see ya now...hanging those sheets, towels and such in the colorado breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, I remember my grandmother having a few of these cups!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute cute cups! Thanks for the washing soap recipe. Can you get washing soda in the detergent aisle?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet idea and the little
    cups are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is another case where the older product wins out over the new expensive product. I love you little cups. I have several of them but can't bear to make them work for their keep!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so precious and they work perfectly! I think I'll give your recipe a try if I can find that washing soda! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suzanne,
    This is my first time to participate in Vintage Thursdays, but it won't be the last! I'm really excited! Your little cups are adorable! I thought at first that they were life size until I saw one in your hand and then the cute factor went through the roof! And such a perfect use.
    I have never even thought of making my own laundry soap, but I am excited about the prospect! I've never even heard of 2 of the ingredients, but I will be on the look out for sure!
    Hope you have a Happy Vintage Thursday!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the detergent recipe. I just had to buy a new washing machine and the one I got requires the HE detergent. It just seems so expensive so I may have to give this a try. Love the little cups you found to measure out the soap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. they are ssoo cute!!..might have to give your laundry detergent recipe a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Suzanne, this is my first link up to Vintage Thingie Thursday. Thank you for hosting it!

    I love the little childs cups. They are so cute. And thanks for the laundry detergent recipe. All the ones I have seen are for making liquid soap. This recipe is so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are a woman of many talents! I wonder if that soap would irritate my skin...maybe not because there isn't any added fragrances or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Suzanne..
    Arrrrggghhhh, I can't gey my pics to load, so I'm not able to participate this week..however,I can still visit and see the beautiful things that everyone else has.
    I love the tiny cups..and the recipe for laundry soap sounds wonderful. Thanks for the recipe, for making and testing it for us..Happy VTT..have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Suzanne,

    Thank you so much for hosting each week.

    You are terrific!!

    blessings,

    Barbara Jean

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those lovely cups are tiny! I can just imagine a little girl having a tea party or a picknick in the garden for her dolls.
    There is nothing better than laundry dried in the wind, with no softener it will be soft where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Suzanne, I haven't participated in Vintage Thingies Thursday in a while, glad to be here today!
    I have never tried making my own detergent, I have seen different recipes on lots of blogs. Yours looks the easiest I must say!
    I just love those little metal children's cups. I collect children's vintage sand pails and shovels and they look alot alike. I have never seen the cups in a flea market before or I would grab them! Thanks for posting pictures and thanks for hosting vintage thingies thursday!
    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Suzanne.. wow.. this interesting.. I've seen so many of you girls made your own soap.. which I think I might give it a try.. and your scoops.. super cute!.. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The little cups are so sweet. I brought home some Fels Naptha soap from the US last time I was there because I thought -it- would be the hard thing to track down here. Come to find out, I could've found some really similar soap here, but I CANNOT find borax! Sometimes I think The Netherlands is conspiring against me *L*

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've made that soap and I like it a lot. If you cant find things locally you can order it here http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/default.asp, I did. She also sells the soap chipped - for people who dont have a food processer like me.

    I also added some oxidol which whitens things a bit. I really do like this soap and think things are much softer.

    Like your site a lot!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I cannot believe it!!! I feel like sitting here and CRYING.

    I've been sooooo busy this week with school things - - - like LONG meetings AFTER school (I was right here from before 6 yesterday morning until 5:30 last evening) that I FORGOT all about Thrifty Vintage Thingies and DIDN'T DO A POST AT ALL. I just don't know WHAT I was thinking!!!

    Never fear - - - I'll TRY to be back next week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so amazingly in love with that little red cup. The other one is great, too, but the red one!!!! Oh, my! I really love it! What a neat treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I couldn't believe how tiny the cups are until I saw it in your hand - they're both so cute, I can't stand it! LOL!

    I have that recipe but haven't tried it yet - I have an HE (high efficiency) machine, but I suppose the measurements would be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the little cups, I have made this washing powder and I liked it, but if you use too much after several washings you will notice the material wearing away. So be sure and use only what is called for.
    I used the old adage if a little is good, a lot is better, wrong, my towels napped up bad and then started getting holes like I'd poured bleach on them.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Suzanne,

    What cute little cups, and perfect for measuring. Great idea for the homemade soap. I used to use Fels Naptha soap yrs ago to scrub the bottoms of my daughters socks when she was little. Worked wonderful! I'll have to try the homemade soap too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Suzanne,
    Great little finds,I used to have some of those as a child. A very creative ideal to use them as well.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Suzanne,
    Thanks for hosting this every week, I really enjoy it. Love those baby cups!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, Suzanne, I am very impressed that you made your own laundry soap! Let us know how it is still working in a few weeks -- is there any soap buildup, for instance, because it really is soap, and not detergent? I'm curious as all heck about this!
    :-)
    LOVE the white bowl, but then I am a huge fan of old restaurant dishes. And the children's cups are just darling. Thanks!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  34. Those cups are too cute! I really need to start making my own detergent! It is on my 'to do' list.
    Living it up Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  35. I adore ypur tiny cups, are they enamel?
    Thanks for the detergent recipe-I use an environmentally friendly low sudsing non- fragranced brand & only two tabls.in front loader, fourth cup in top loader. When I run out I will have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  36. WoW! That goes back a ways. Might have to try it. I didn't know they still make Fels Naptha or 20 Mule Team. Love your cups.
    Well, I'm late but I did manage to make it again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Just the day before I bought the 'store bought' detergent. Oh well, I might consider it next time! Great informative post and I love those cups. Sometimes I get into trouble when ya'll post such neat things. I now have a set of bone dishes, just can't seem to get around to posting those,yet! Have a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Cute cups! Nice idea to use them for measures.
    Are you sure that making your own laundry soap is cheaper and better than buying it? Does it dissolve in cold water? How did you know what amount to use? I'm really curious about this, because I'm pretty darn sure we are being taken by the makers of the "NEW" liquid, use half the amount, consentrates that are on the market right now.
    I don't want to make soap. I did that in the 60's and it's not pretty, so I really want to find a better alternative.
    Keep trying and reporting. It's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great idea, Suzanne! I've been using Charlie's Soap which I think is possibly the same thing - huge savings and you only use a Tblsp! Only difference is I don't have as cute a measuring cup!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Suzanne, those cups are absolutely adorable, and how clever of you to put them to such good use! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Suzanne, I love those cute children's tea set cups. The good thing, since you don't collect them, they are useful. I have never made soap before. I would love to try it. The problem is finding the ingredients in such a small town.LOL.

    We shall see.

    Hugs...Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  42. The cups - adorable!

    The recipe - amazing!

    Me - late posting this week.

    You - fabulous for hostessing every week!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a really neat post today! With a little work you are saving some money! Smart lady!!! You'll have more to spend at the flea markets! COOL!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...