Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Vintage Thingie Thursday : A Vintage Dress And A Dream

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you are new to this party, please take the time to read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. I have gotten a few complaints about people linking in and not doing what is required, please, try and visit each and every participant, that is really important. Please only ONE link per week. Thank you for your cooperation in this. I know we are all busy, but even if it takes a few days to do so, please do that. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies being showed that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much.

This week, will be a little different post for me, but just bear with me. This photo is sorta vintage...it is my husband and myself on our wedding day in 1986. I highlighted the anniversary date earlier this month with a post, you can see it HERE if you missed it. The remarkable thing was not so much the post itself, but the conversation that erupted from it on facebook. Many of you read along as the conversation played out on FB that day. But for those of you who missed it, I want to recap what happened today for Vintage Thingie Thursday. I still get goose-bumps just thinking about it. Hope you enjoy...and on several occasions lately, there is a lesson in this tale...for me, it was to never to give up on your dreams.


On my wedding day, 24 years ago I wore a dress I borrowed from a good friend of mine. It was perfect for a Las Vegas wedding and I truly loved the dress. After the wedding and I returned home, my friend called and asked me to return the dress as her baby sister wanted to wear it to a function. Of course, I returned the dress, but if I am honest here, I did not want to return it at all. I wanted to keep it because it meant a lot to me, no matter that it was not mine. But, I did the right thing, took it to get cleaned, and returned it to her right away....reluctantly. And as things sometimes go, sadly, we remained out of touch after that for over 23 years. But in all that time, I never forgot that dress, and wished so many times I would have just asked to keep it.

This fall, my friend and I reunited once again through facebook and she follows along with all my antics on my blog. After I posted about our anniversary this month, and she saw the photos I had included in the post, and sent me a message on facebook and asked "Is this my dress?"

I reminded her that yes, it was her dress, and that I had borrowed it when I got married.....She said she had forgotten that, and did not remember it at all. Then as the conversation progressed, she informed me that she thought she still had the dress....maybe I'd want it back to make something with???

Friends, I am here to tell you, my eyes filled up, my nose and throat were stinging....all I could do was sit and stare at her words on the computer screen and think....how could this be??? After all of these years? Surely, not....she must be mistaken......but at the same time, the excitement grew just thinking that possibly, possibly....she might have it. You see, there was no way my friend would have known how I have wished for this dress, thought about this dress, and regretted not asking for it or at least offering to buy it from her all of these years ago....no way she could have known what it meant to me to even think she might still have it, I had given up that dream long, long ago.

She told me the dress has been in her daughter's dress-up trunk for years and felt like it was still in there among some other dresses. Imagine....that dress in a little girl's dress-up trunk and it might still be there....I was giddy I tell you. Now, her daughter is 15 years old, and I am quiet sure she has not been playing dress-up for several years, but still.....that only added to the romantic allure for me......truly. My sweet friend apologized over and over that if she had only remembered, she'd never let the kids use the dress to play dress up......

That evening, my friend confirmed she still had the dress....and it was mine.....warned me it was a little worn, yellowed, and maybe I would be disappointed in the condition of the dress. She was worried I think.....but I was thrilled, as long as SHE HAD IT, there would be nothing wrong that could not be fixed.

My friend even explained that when she pulled the dress out of the dress-up trunk and looked at the tag, the dress had MY NAME on the tag, she said she was just stunned. My name was there from when I took the dress to be cleaned before I returned it to her all those years ago. She said she never noticed that, and that just confirmed the dress belonged to me and it was just meant to be. Truly, that is the truth. Remember I just don't believe in coincidences, things happen because they are meant to.....my name was proof enough.

On my wedding day long ago, my friend's dress was my something borrowed, my shoes were my something new, this hankie belonged to my grandmother whom I never knew,( my mom's mother), that was my something old and my something blue was....well.....my unmentionables.

Here is my vintage hankie....THAT I held onto for all these years......I tell ya' when something means something special to me....I never part with it...except this one time with the dress.....just sayin'

I picked the dress up this morning from my friend. She was quick to point out a few spots that were from safety pins that pinned the dress up for the little girls to wear. She said again, she hoped I was not disappointed. I was not disappointed in the condition of the dress, even the coloring was fine with me, I added an off white ribbon to it, and it is truly the same color as the dress. The only problem I had with this dress at all was a vision I had dreamed up in my heart.

I totally came to the conclusion before I picked this dress up, that I could get this back on for our 25th wedding anniversary next year. Surely, I could do that, after all, I would have a year to lose enough weight to do so. Well, once I had this dress in my hand....reality sat in really quickly. The dress says an 11/12. Well, I am here to tell you, the sizes in the 80's sure were off because this is more like a 5/6 if that. Mercy.....talk about disappointed, not in the dress....but myself.

Not only that, but once I had my tiny daughter try the dress on, well.....I saw my dreams of wearing this again sail away to a remote island somewhere......I doubt I could get this over my.....well....you get the picture.....

The dress was a little bit big in the waist, and bust area for my daughter, but not enough to give me much hope. My daughter laughed at the sleeves, said "could they be any bigger, Mom!!!???" ....classic 80's sleeves......I was in style little girl.....really.

I will say this, Alisha was really supportive, assured me I could wear this dress again if I truly wanted to....and oh, I want to. She said I just need to work at this, stay with it, and hang this dress where it is a constant reminder of my dream. She told me to not give up. She is right.....after all, this dress did not come back to me after all of these years, not to complete the dream I have always had....to wear it again. Lord....give me strength!

I hope you enjoyed this tale of my vintage dress and how I ended up with it once again. You guys are the best, because you let me ramble on about my life and are so supportive. Thanks bunches! I guess this means I'll be having new post under Weight Loss Journey again.....Have a great week! Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday everyone!



55 comments:

  1. Thank you for shairng your special story. think positively!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful I kept the dress and you were not disappointed. I love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When will all these far fetched tales you get involved in stop. These things just do not happen to normal people. You must have something the rest of us has not found. I wonder what the next chapter will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful, heartwarming post. It's a beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great story! It's a beautiful dress, and I'm so glad you got it back to keep forever. Mine 1983 wedding dress was street length, off white, and had big poufy sleeves too. My daughter modeled it for a church fashion show several years ago and it made me misty. Wedding dresses are so special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great story, Suzanne! I'm also glad to know how the sizes have changed. No way is your daughter an 11/12. That dress has got to be about a 6.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful dress and both you and your daughter are just gorgeous.I;m so happy you got your special dress back, I know it means a lot..
    Thank you for sharing your sweet story.. Hugs and Happy VTT......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzanne, Thanks for the dress update. It is great to see it after all the talking we did about it. It is beautiful and yes I am sure you will be able to get into it for your next anniversary. After all you are already on the right track! I am down 8 pounds already since I started dieting the beginning of May. We can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a charming, uplifting story!! It's amazing what life has in store for us sometimes.

    And I'm SO glad for you that the Home Again part of the dream has come true. That's a lovely remembrance of your Wedding Day, and I'm glad it found you once again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suzanne, this is such a heartwarming post! How wonderful after all these years that your hearts desire was fulfilled. God is good!

    Who knows. You may be able to get back into it for your 25th. After all, all things are possible...right? ;)

    By the way, I'm hosting three new linky parties beginning the first week of June. Stop by the cottage to take a peek at the posts for the details.

    Have a wonderful Memorial weekend (in advance)!

    Hugs,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suzanne what a beautiful dress and a beautiful story. I am so happy for you. Truly a dream come true.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Suzanne, What a beautiful story with a beautiful ending, perhaps you will wear the dress again. If not, it really doesn't matter as the dress is where it truly belongs, with you! I'm so happy for you, dreams really do come true!
    Hugz,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post! And a great story! I loved reading it. What a wonderful surprise treasure to receive after all these years! I am so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suzanne,
    That is just the sweetest story! I know you will wear it again. We will all be pulling for you! Your daughter looks so pretty in the dress too! Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suzanne this was a most beautiful story and very appropriate for vintage Thursday. Your post is exquisite with your daughter in the dress. I loved it.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! what a great story. I can't even imagine fitting into my wedding dress again. I still have it though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Suzanne, This is one of my favorite posts ever! I loved reading every detail about the dress, not wanting to return it but doing the right thing anyway, losing touch with your friend and then reuniting on FB and then...finding that the dress had been in her daughters dress up clothes for all this time. This is such a special story and post. It's so sweet that your daughter posed in the dress. I got married in 1986 also and remembered thinking I'd wear my dress again...uh, don't think that is going to happen but it is a nice thought. Your picture is so sweet of you and your husband. Just loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This made me so happy for you! It was meant to be for you to have this dress! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your story is just another of many, many examples of why I believe everything happens for a reason. The dress is just beautiful and I'm so glad you've been reunited with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Suzanne what a wonderful story.:) I think the dress is lovely. I was married 2 years after you and my sleeves were oh so puffy, too!!
    I think if you want to fit in that dress bad enough, well, remember The Little Engine That Could....I think I can, I think I can!! You can do it!!
    Have a wonderful long fun weekend.
    Fondly,
    Ann
    @
    The Tattered Tassel

    ReplyDelete
  21. Suzanne, I just wanted to come by again and thank you for visiting and leaving your sweet comment on my Vintage Thingies Thursday...Wicker Pram! I'm happy that you are an all around...vintage girl!
    Hugz,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful story and a beautiful dress! So glad you were able to be reunited! It is great that you now have something so sentimental. Now it can continue to be passed on to future generations, whether they leave it in its original state or continue to re-invent it into more beautiful keepsakes. Whatever it future destination, it will always have a story to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful story!! And such a happy ending!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is so amazing!! See, what goes around comes around... I just finished reading your post about the lady who contacted you about getting back the doves that her mother had made. You did something special for her and now God did something special for you :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  25. Suzanne, love your story and the sweet dress. You have a lot of cheerleaders. It's my first time participating in Vintage Thingy Tuesday. Hope I did it right.
    Thanks for hosting this special blogging event Suzanne and I'm off anxiously to all the other vintage thingys.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How cool that your dress came back to you after all that time! Interesting that this is the week you blogged about it- today is my anniversary and my blog post is about celebrating it. And would you believe it if I told you I, too, have not been in posesssion of my wedding dress since the wedding?!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great story! I actually love that dress. It is so pretty. I hope you do stick to it and are able to wear it next year. :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Suzanne,

    What a sweet story! you looked beautiful in the dress, and I hope you get to wear it for your 25th again. Glad you got your dress back, and got reunited with your friend on facebook.

    Warmly,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, I certainly hope and encourage you to follow your dreams and wear that dress on your 25th Anniversary! However, it looks like the sleeves have enough fabric for an alteration if necessary. Wonderful Dress and Friendship Story! Thanks for sharing and Happy VTT.

    ReplyDelete
  30. How sweet you looked in that dress on your wedding day! I"m so glad it came back to you after all these years!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. A beautiful story with a happy ending--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful dress and story! Happy VTT.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I enjoyed this story. Simply beautiful. Thank you for your kind comment regarding Tinkberbell. That little dog brought joy to all of us all these years. God Bless You! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful sentimental story, Suzanne, I hope that the rest of your dream comes true!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What an absolutely beautiful dress, and an absolutely beautiful story to boot! So glad you have your lovely dress back...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Suzanne, what a beautiful story. That dress is awesome, too. I tried to link back to you on this weeks postings for thursday, but I put two on there, and neither one will work. Perhaps you have a way you can remove them...sorry~
    glenda

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a touching story and a special dress. Good luck with your weight loss journey!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh Suzanne I am so happy for you! The work on the dress is just lovely and your grandmother's hankie is simply gorgeous!

    Loved seeing your daughter modelling your wedding dress! Now I was a slip of a girl when I got married and my Mom said..oh try on my wedding dress. It did not fit! As small as I was, she had been even tinier!

    I know I can't fit into my wedding dress....3 kids and 20 lbs. took care of that idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a lovely story about the dress. How nice!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a beautiful story! I like that dress, it's super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a great story! I am so glad you were able to get your dress back. My husband and I were also married in 1986 (October 4). I had a white suit with a red blouse. I felt so beautiful that day. The picture is on my Valentines' day post.

    ReplyDelete
  42. *sigh* Such a romantic story. Started my day off right ☺
    Beautiful dress, loved seeing your daughter in it. Good luck with your weight loss goal. You can do it!!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am wiping away tears! What a sweet, sweet story Suzanne! I am sure you can get into this dress.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  44. That was my favorite post here ever... :) No kidding...

    Although... I am with you on the current state of sizes which is kind of depressing and makes me feel bigger but such is life in the zip your jeans up laying down place that is my life at the moment :)

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh Suzanne, am so glad that you finally got back the dress.. your friend were such a doll! what a precious dress it is! and the story that came with the dress is double precious too! thanks for sharing and wishing you happy anniversary and many many many happy returns! have a good weekend!
    xo
    fitty

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh Suzanne! What a wonderful story of your wedding dress and how it found it's way back to you!

    Happy happy VTT to you,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  47. You can do it. You can do it. I know you can. Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Suzanne, It's such a remarkable story that you got the dress back!!! You looked so lovely for your special day. It's so wonderful too that it has not discolored in any way. WOW! I'll be rooting for you to get to wear it on your 25th!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  49. What a fabulous story. I'm so glad you have the dress back!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a phenomenal story. It was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I am so glad that you got your dress back! I would never part with my wedding dress -- I loved it as much as you love yours!

    I missed linking in this week but I hope you'll come visit my VTT post -- it's about vintage clothing too! I wish I had posted the wedding dresses this week, but I guess I'll do so next week instead!

    http://serendipityhandmade.blogspot.com/2010/05/vintage-thingies-thursday-lacis-museum.html

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...