Many of you know about "In The Bag - Ugly fabric quilt challenge" and it has been so much fun looking at all the progress on the blog set up just for this challenge. Here was my inspiration for these fabrics. ( As always, clicking photos makes them larger)
From the Hancock's of Paducah spring catalog
I received my fabrics in May.....and figured out right away what I was going to do with them. I got a spring mailing catalog in the mail from Hancock's of Paducah and there was a quilt kit for a similar style quilt, and I decided to take that inspiration and make something of my own.
Here are the fabrics again, that BJ from Arizona sent me!! Not a bad group, but they certainly were out of my color range and element of comfort. The challenge is to make a quilt or something quilt related with the fabrics sent, using 90% of the fabrics. You can add any from your stash and only purchase one other fabric if needed for your project. When I saw those fish staring at me, I was really worried how in the world I was going to use those!!
Here is the finished quilt. This measures 62 X 62. Let me say first off, I am not a big butterfly person at all, and I am not a square quilt kind of person either....go figure!!! I really like how it all came together.......and all with "ugly" fabrics.
Here is how I used most of the fish fabric. The fabrics out of my stash were the brown and the green used for the borders. The light fabric that is throughout the quilt also from stash.
That light greenish fabric that is used throughout the quilt is what BJ sent me as well. I ran out of that and tried to buy some more...I ordered a half yard of what I thought was the same thing, but it was not. Thankfully, Ros traded me a swatch of that fabric that she had, for the fabric I mistakenly ordered. With that bit she sent me I had just enough...I used every smidgin I had of that ugly light green fabric.
Here is some of the coral fabric in blue...with more of that fish stuff!!!
These butterflies are a block I saw online, I had no pattern, I looked at the block, and tried to figure out how to make it. They turned out pretty good and I was shocked I was able to actually pull that off. I seem to work better without a pattern. If I have a picture to look at, I can usually figure out what I need to do to acquire the finished block.
Here is a closer look at the fabrics in the large butterfly. The orange, light blue and the purple floral and green/red floral were the challenge fabrics. The blue fabrics in the large butterfly as well as the yellow and small red dot were fabrics from my stash.
I am using the last of the blocks from the center of the quilt and the left over butterfly blocks on the back with a backing fabric from my stash. I have cut the orange, blue, and florals into long strips to be used as a scrappy binding.
I purchased no fabrics for this challenge, with the acceptation of the piece I swapped for which was the light green. Not bad for a few "uglies" and clearing some untouched fabrics out of the stash, huh???
Here is the scraps that are left over.....I have all the blocks ready to sew for the binding and the back...once I have it quilted I will post finished pictures of the back and the quilting.....I just feel good to finally have this one off the design wall....now I have to hurry and try and work with the fabrics Gun from Sweden sent me...but I at least do have an idea for that one too!! Stop by the Challenge blog and take a look at all the inspiration that is there. All projects are created from "ugly" fabrics. You be the judge on the ugly part!!!
Everyone is like a butterfly, they start out ugly and awkward and then morph into beautiful, graceful butterflies that everyone loves. ~ Drew Barrymore