Sunday, January 13, 2013

Design Wall Monday: Barristers Sow A Long Blocks

My Barrister Sow A Long blocks are all done, and they are still on my design wall. Somehow, I was four short and ended up making doubles of a few of the blocks. Somehow, I must have missed a grouping of blocks.  I started this past week making the dashing for the blocks. I had an idea in my mind what I wanted and was for sure it was going to work the way I envisioned it working out....ever have one of those plans? (click on photos to get a closer look as to what I was talking about below)


Well, as usual, the best of ideas can certainly not work as planned. The far right of this photo shows the cornerstones I had planned to use. I have had this fabric in my stash and thought it was exactly what I wanted to use. I quickly decided it was not going to work the way I had envisioned it.  So, the left side of this photo is the other option. I thought about using just solid fabric for the cornerstones. No....not what I wanted either. I was going for pure simple. Cut a square and use it. Simple. Easy.......not so much.

It was not really what I wanted after all, and I had spent far too long trying to figure out exactly what it was I wanted to use. Seems like a lot more work was in order to get what I would be happy with.


I decided a square in a square was what I wanted to use for cornerstones. Nothing matching, but scrappy fabrics that were used to construct the blocks. I spent the day making ninety, 2.5 inch square in square cornerstones. Tell me what you honestly think....were they the right choice and worth all of the work involved in making them?

When I went to our local quilt shop for fabrics to use as sashings the ladies at the quilt shop frowned on these blocks. They did not care for them at all, and wanted to know who in the world would want to use such tiny pieces in  blocks. Yes, some of the pieces have the smallest of pieces but those are the blocks I love the most. The ladies suggested to use a dark blue sashing to tone down all the busyness of the blocks. I could tell this was not a quilt they were interested in and really had no interest in giving any suggestions or advice on what fabrics would be good to use. It was just a gentle reminder why I like to buy online....avoid the snooty ladies at the quilt shop all together.

I did not buy anything that day at the quilt shop, but instead, planned what I would use from my stash of fabrics I had on hand. The pink is far from the dark they suggested, but using the scrappy pieces with the pink is what I really loved.


You may remember this is one of two quilts that are serving as my Jubilee quilts and I am really glad I went with what I knew would make me happy, even if it was a lot more work than I originally wanted to do on the sashings and cornerstones.

I hope to get this almost completed by the weekend, and start on finishing up the other one, which is made from all Christmas fabrics. That one will be finished differently from this quilt, and I am excited to get started on that one as well. Of course I have a plan and hope that plan works the way I have it pictured in my mind. Ahem...we will see!

I am linking up with Judy over at Patchwork Times for design wall Monday. Have a great week and thanks for looking at my project this week!

18 comments:

  1. I love the cornerstones and pink in the sashings. It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you are finishing the quilt. It is so beautiful and the soft pinks are so restful to the eye. I'm glad you didn't listen to the snooty ladies at the quilt store. Looking forward to seeing your Christmas quilt now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you are finishing the quilt. Pink looks great. The snooty ladies need to find a different hobby, they have no design or color sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your choice of conerstones really works and the pink looks great. It's going to be a fun and beautiful quilt. Good for you for sticking with your vision, it's turned out so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the square in a square cornerstones. They look like they are floating. The solid squares were too heavy looking and attracted all the attention. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sashing and cornerstones you came up with. They do a nice job of letting the blocks have a little space to breath. Let the snooty quiltshop ladies stay there with their color coordinated lines of matchy matchy fabric. Your quilt will speak to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the cornerstones were a great choice. Scrappy has a much better look to it than coordinated fabrics. I think your quilt has character!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks great! I love the cornerstones and the scrappy sashing! It is definitely worth the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sashing that you ended up choosing - it is definitely the best of the bunch. I still have a few of the sow along blocks to make and don't have a clue how I'm going to set them. Sounds like the ladies at the LQS don't have very good taste (or social skills)! Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great. I love the square in square cornerstones. Perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cornerstones. It's perfect with your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cornerstones. I think it's really worth all the extra work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cornerstones and the pink sashing are beautiful. I love your blocks too. I predict that quilt shop will not be in business long if that is how they treat their customers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your choice for sashing! It looks great! Always trust your own vision.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you didn't go with the dark blue sashing. The pink is lovely and keeps everything even. I like the little corner stones too, again brings it all together so not one aspect is standing out more then another. YOu should be very proud of your choices it is going to be one amazing quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did just right with the cornerstones. The square cornerstones seemed to draw attention away from the blocks, the square in a square provide an accent, but don't draw your eye to them as much. Very nice quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the quilt blocks. why would anyone object to their bright and beautiful colors. One of my friends had a similar experience at a quilt store when she went in to select fabric. I don't think people today appreciate the work that goes into these wonderful blocks.

    I love the pink and the square in a square. Lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the pink sashing and square in the square corerstones... They are perfect! The dark sashing would have made the whole thing dreary!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...