Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Chicken Tortilla Soup in a Vintage Restaurant Bowl

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday

If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a really good time each and every week!!!
If you are new to this party, please take the time to
read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. Please only ONE link per week. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies on display that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much.

This week with the cool weather, I am posting my Chicken Tortilla soup recipe and of course it is served in a vintage restaurant ware bowl and plate! I love the blue and white stripe of these, too bad I  only have one matching set!

 
Amazing Chicken Tortilla Soup

Calories per serving: 164
10 Servings

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium Jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeded
1/2 medium bell pepper
4 small boneless skinless chicken breast or 1 package tenders
2 cups frozen corn (can eliminate if you want)
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 cup dry white wine or water ( I use water)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
Topping.....recipe to follow below.....


First, saute onion, garlic jalapeno and bell pepper with olive oil in a large pot until soft. Add all of remaining ingredients to large stock pot and bring to a boil. After about 15-20 minutes, remove the chicken breast and shred. ( I usually use two forks to shred chicken in a plate) Return shredded chicken to the pot and simmer an additional 45 minutes over medium heat. Serve, topped with tortilla chips.....recipe below.....

Seasoned Tortilla Strips


Calories per serving: 161
makes 7 one cup servings

1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or ground red pepper ( I use Cayenne)
12-14 6-inch corn tortillas
salt
Tabasco sauce, to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a small bowl, stir oil and all of the spices together with a wire whisk.

Using a basting brush, brush one side of all the tortillas with the oil/spice mixture

Make 3-4 stacks of 4 tortillas.

Cut the tortillas into 1/4-1/2 inch strips

Put strips in a single layer on a couple of cookie sheets sprayed with Pam.
Bake until golden and crisp, about 10-15 minutes. If pans are on different oven racks, switch their positions about halfway through baking. Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt. Cool completely in pans and store in a zip lock bag. Garnish soup with strips

....ummmm so good!!

This is very good and satisfying and pretty low in calories...I have used the strips as a snack when I wanted something crunchy....usually about a 1/2 cup is all you need for the soup.

Enjoy!! Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday!!





16 comments:

  1. I love vintage restaurant dishes. I have several matching soup bowls. They are nice and heavy, so the soup stays hot.

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tortilla soup is one of our favorites here in New Mexico! Have a great week...hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a marvelous recipe! I make a chicken & corn soup anyway, but this would be a great version to make! Thanks for hosting!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Tortilla soup looks so good, a complete meal. Thanks for hosting and have a great week.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that restaurantware bowl and plate and the soup looks yummy! thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzanne,
    Looks really good!!

    Thanks so much for hosting!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. fabulous recipe to keep the chill away!! love the bowl. HVTT!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting Suzanne! I've already copied your recipe and would like to try it tonight. Cold, rainy & gray here. Joining in with my mid-century stuff today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say, love your bowl! I hardly find restaurant ware anywhere, yours is a great score!

      Delete
  9. Hi Suzanne, I am joining your party today because the Blog Shop items are all vintage. Beverly is hosting this party and so far not much action. I think your vintage items fit what I have posted. Besides I enjoy your blog party so much. I am trying to become more involved in 2013. Last year was so busy I slowed down a lot. I'm back.

    I will try this recipe because it looks delicious. We love soup in the winter. I only wish I had some of those bowls. They keep the soup nice and HOT. Smile.

    Thank you for hosting Suzanne.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Suzanne,
    Thanks for the recipe. I'm always looking for good soup recipes and this looks delicious. Making my own from scratch, I can control the amount of salt as my hubby is on a low salt diet.
    I'm also enjoying your blog party,
    Thanks,
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your soup looks delicious. Very cool blue striped restaurant ware. My sister has found some really wonderful pieces at vintage shops, too. I need to keep my eyes peeled.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recipe ~ I love Chicken Tortilla Soup!!!
    Big Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks yummy! Thanks for offering the linkup!

    HaPpY vInTaGe ThInGiE tHuRsDaY!
    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
  14. Home-made chips are always the way to go. Gotta try this.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...