Thursday, October 9, 2008

Planning A Easy Dinner: Crockpot Cream Cheese Chicken



Do you ever have one of those days when you are just too tired to cook, too tired to go out to eat, too tired to even think about what's for dinner? Have you ever found yourself standing in front of the refrigerator just staring at the shelves just waiting for something to jump out and look appetizing?

Oh, I have plenty of times. And on those days around my house, I am quick to announce that we are having a YOYO night. You're On Your Own. Needless to say, Steve is never too thrilled at that announcement. More on this another day....

You can take a little of the stress off of yourself by planning ahead and using your handy dandy crockpot. I did just that when we were at our Mountain Retreat this fall. Believe me, it was a lifesaver. Because at our cabin, after a day of work, and I am too tired to cook, it is just not like we can go around the corner to the neighborhood cafe for a nice hot meal.....the neighborhood cafe is miles away, and by the time you would arrive you would be too exhausted to eat....trust me on this.

My husband is a meat and potatoes type of guy, you know the type. Simple, beefy meals that leave no questions to the mind as to what is actually in the dish. So when I broke out of the norm and tried this new to me crockpot dish, he was skeptical to say the least.

In fact, several times he asked "What is that again?" or "Have we had this before?" I could tell he was dreading coming to the dinner table, hungry as a bear, and having a plate of something he was not familiar with presented to him for dinner. I swear, I could tell he was already thinking he was going to have to put a smile on his face no matter how unappetizing this was, eat what he could and then anticipate the long wait until breakfast. Stick with the familiar, go-to dinners is Steve's philosophy. It's Safe that way and everyone is happy.

Well, I am happy to say, this was a success. Really a success. This was so very good it passed the taste test for a go-to dinner with Steve and that is saying a lot from a meat and potatoes type of guy. Not to mention, with a little planning, this is a great hot meal when you are too tired to stand in the kitchen and cook, and it's very easy to make.

Here is the recipe below.....so the next time when you have a day of this or something similar:



You can quickly sit down without too much of a fuss and enjoy a hot meal just like this one:



Crockpot Cream Cheese Chicken

You will need:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup chicken broth
package of frozen chicken tender strips
1 package Italian Salad dressing mix
2 cloves of garlic
1 large block of cream cheese

How to:
Put all of the above ingredients in the crockpot, all EXCEPT the cream cheese, save this for later. Cook on low for about 6 hours or until done. Now, shred the chicken in the crockpot using a fork. Mix cream cheese in the crockpot and turn crockpot on high for about 30 minutes or until cheese melts. It usually takes about 15 tops in my crockpot. Serve over pasta of choice.

I used bow tie pasta because that is what I had on hand, and it was great. I Steamed some vegetables and dinner was on the table really fast. I might also suggest you could add some fresh mushrooms during the final step of cooking.

Tip: If you use a crockpot liner in your crockpot, this is even easier because clean up is a snap, just toss liner and wipe crockpot off with a wet towel. ~easy peasy~.

Trust me, you just can't beat this on a day when you are dog tired, and dreading standing in the kitchen trying to put a hot meal on the table. With a little planning, you can get out of the kitchen quick, and that will leave you with more time for things like this....

12 comments:

  1. Looks very good--my kind of cooking(when I do cook)--quick and easy---but everything you cook is GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce says she is the crock pot queen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you caused me to sin! I Want that dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay this looks way to good and easy. I will be making this for Sunday dinner. I love "easy peasy" meals!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How big is the bag of chicken tenders? I buy a large bag at Costco, so would need to know how much chicken you use. It really looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Left-overs are welcomed at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha LV is funny.

    soph soph is just too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Colorado Lady!
    Dinner sure looks good! Mr. Man is a native Texan and I'm a seafood lovin East Coast gal.
    He is exactly the same, "oh, please. Why can't we just have beef? Why do you always have to play around in the kitchen?" kee hee hee.
    This looks yummy and I'm goina serve it by golly! It reminds me of beef stroganoff but with chicken!

    I can't wait to see your vintage-y things next week! Thanks for coming over to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. woofy!
    i love chicken!
    it is the only meat in our house Heaven! Keeper makes her cream chicken in 5 minutes! the secret: she boils a whole pot of chicken, add potatoes, carrots, whatever and this is our meal for the day! to serve: Keeper simply mash the chicken liver on our bowls with some broth, flake the chicken, add rice and voila! for lunch, she simply mash the boiled veggies, flake some chicken again, add broth and that's it. for dinner, chicken flakes and rice again! we love it!

    for herself, Keeper get some chicken meat, flakes and saute in butter, garlic, add cream, cheese and drizzle over her pasta! for a change, she fries the chicken and drizzle with sauce.

    one large pot of chicken is all we need. what saps! i think i better blah about this soon...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so yummy! I am going to have to try that. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for listing the recipe. It is helpful. It also looks so good. I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds real good! I love the YoYo term. I'm totally going to start using that!!

    I'm Kristin in the Secret Santa Soiree, stopping by to say Hi!!

    Have a fabulous day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...