Thursday, October 2, 2008

Vintage Thingie Thursday: McCoy, Homer Laughlin & Milk Glass

I thought I would be skipping VTT this week. I tell you with fall in the air, that is just what I have wanted to do this week....."fall" back into bed and sleep. I have been tired and busy this week, but I felt bad by not making an effort to participate in my favorite day of the week.

So without any further ado, here is my contribution for this weeks Vintage Thingie Thursday. Oh, and please, hop on over and visit Lisa at Confessions of an Apron Queen and check out all the other vintage treasures on display today.

Today, I will give you a little peek into my front bathroom. I don't think that I have a room in my house that you will not find some sort of a vintage treasure. Seriously, I have looked, and there is not one room that does not house a treasure or two. Take a look.......

This little jewel is a vintage McCoy wall pocket. I really love this. The coloring in the wall pocket compliments the bathroom. I used the colors mint green and white in this bathroom, with just a few hints of brown. The colors are crisp and clean. I really like the look in this bathroom.

Here is a side view taken at a different angle.

The small plate is a vintage plate. I love flowers on plates and platters. There are no markings on this plate. I think I purchased it at a flea market. The colorings were right for the room, and I "needed" it for this wall.

Oh, by the way, I know I have not shown you any of my beloved platters that I collect....~yet~..... But this one of course is a special one. It was given to me by a special someone who is very close to me.....*wink*wink*.....if you have been following my VTT post, if you think about it, you will guess who gave this to me.....**That gives me an idea, maybe leave your guess as who this person is in the comment section** That might be fun!
Anyway, it is a Homer Laughlin platter, and I love it. It goes so well in the bathroom. I am sure you are questioning my style of decorating....I mean who actually puts platters and plates in their bathrooms??? Well, I do. You see, if I love something, I want to look at it, not store it in a cabinet. I am just weird like that. Sorry.

This is the display that is over the major component in the bathroom....you get the picture, right? The shelf belonged to my MIL, it was gold when I got it, so I painted it white in keeping with the colors of the bathroom.

This is a vintage lipstick holder. How sweet is this? I think it looks so cute on the shelf and the flowers are so soft in color.

And finally, the last vintage piece in the bathroom is a milk glass container I picked up at a garage sale for 50 cents. This really serves no purpose, I just liked it and it usually holds ponytail holders and bobby pins. I guess you could say it is a vintage "catch-all."


Oh, and please excuse me while I show off the crowning glory of this bathroom. This is a glimpse of a floor to ceiling mirror framed out in mosaic broken tiles. I painstakingly cut, mounted, and grouted each and everyone of those little gems. It was a job, but the impact it had on this small bathroom was worth all the hard work. I am rather proud of this endeavor.

I Hope you enjoyed your glimpse of a small room in my house with vintage inspired decor. I will look forward to seeing you here next week. Have a great rest of the week and a enjoyable weekend.

24 comments:

  1. I love your bathroom. Each individual piece is wonderful and then taken all together, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lovely treasures indeed...I especially love the platter. I think it's lovely how you display them in your home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything in that bathroom! I considered putting my depression glass plates in my powder room, but they didn't look good w/ the wall color. I've never seen a lipstick holder before, how cool!
    I am very impressed with your mirror, also. It caught my eye before you even mentioned that you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im glad you pointed that out, i was just about to comment on the AWESOMENESS that is your mirror. I LOVE IT! I used to make a lot of mosaics, until one of them was featured in an art show and...SOMEONE STOLE IT. i kid you not...that soured my mosaic making experiences...but im getting sidetracked. i love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially liked the lipstick holder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I cant believe how much work you have put into decorating your bathroom..What a fabulous idea. At least when people have to go in there you have fabulous things to look at!!! I really love the vintage lipstick holder!! If you have vintage items you love then its best to use them and admire them...Cant wait to see what you have for us next week!! No Pressure..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the tour of your lovely bathroom. All of your vintage items go together to give it a look anyone would love. That frame around the mirror is a triumph. I love it! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it all makes sense when you see the whole put together picture...I think your bathroom is adorable wow

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun bathroom and I really like the colors of the McCoy pocket vase. I need to put more of my platters on the wall! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol i never thought I would see a picture of our bathroom on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute bathroom. I always think people like to see nice things when they use the bathroom, especially guests. How boring is a bathroom with nothing on the walls or no decor? I think it's a perfect little room to display things we love.
    The lipstick holder is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! I'm not the only one who decorates with pretty plates! Good to know! I once had a thought of displaying my collection of vintage cup and saucer sets on my bedroom wall, but could never find the right thing to put them on.... I know that mirror took a lot of time! I regrouted my kitchen counter, and it was A LOT OF WORK (translation=I will never do that again!) I could barely scrub off the grout from the tiles before it dried!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooo! I love that McCoy wall pocket! I have a McCoy pitcher, but lately I have been seeing all kinds of things with that signature on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bathroom is beautiful! I like the platter and plate on the wall quite a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely and pleasant bathroom...all the colors and vintage accent pieces are great together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice. I especially like the lipstick holder. The lipstick looks like Clinique gift with purchase one. I have lots and lots of these. I have even thrown some of them away. I need a holder like that one.I like the way you painted the shelf white. Gee, it all looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oooh gosh you do simply have a house full - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you made the Thursday edition of Vintage Things. I look forard to seeing what your creative mind is going to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a very nice job showing off
    your wonderful vintage things in your
    bathroom. Love that wall pocket, so
    so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never seen a lipstick holder like that... fantastic! I'm with you that we should ENJOY our favorite things and not just keep them locked up in a cabinet. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's great that you have these things on display so you can enjoy them when you see them. The mirror is fantastic! You should be very proud of that. And, I love that milk glass container.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so creative---I love what you did with the mirror--GREAT JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Coloradolady, thanks for stopping by my blog! I love doing the Vintage Thingies, and like you, I have them placed all over the house. The wall pocket is just wonderful, and a McCoy too! I also have a thing for plates & have them all around. There are 2 on the wall in my family room that "sing" every time a plane goes over. The platter in your bathroom looks great. Come back & visit again.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...