Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Vintage Red Hair Doll

Happy Thursday. You know what today is..... Vintage Thingie Thursday hosted by Confessions of an Apron Queen. Be sure to check out all the goodies listed today on the Apron Queen's blog. It's great fun to take a peek at other people's treasures.

This week, I have a vintage doll that belonged to my mom. She passed this doll on to me several years ago. I think she is so cute. I remember I used to enjoy looking at her when I was a child. My mom told me she was given the doll as a gift, because she had red pigtails just like my mom wore when she was little. And yes, my mom has red hair. She is indeed a vintage treasure.....the doll and my mom.

See, she looks like she is ready for the first day of school with her satchel over her shoulder. Now besides the red pigtails, there is one more thing this doll has in common with my mom when she was little. Just take a look at the socks.....and then look at this picture below.

Here is a vintage Photo of my mom with a doll, just not the doll I am showing you today. She is the one on the right. Notice the hair, and the socks.....Yep, can you now see that this doll even looks like her?

I have no idea who the other two in the photo are. I am guessing the one on the left is my Aunt Joyce, but what the heck happened to her hair? A home perm? I feel sorry for little guy hiding behind the teddy bear. I am quiet sure he was embarrassed as heck for standing in between two girls and their dolls....seriously, who would do that to a kid???

Hope you enjoyed a peek at my vintage doll and my mom as a child. I am hoping when one of my family members sees this photo, they will leave a comment and share the identity of the other two children. It would be nice to know! Have a great weekend.

***Be sure to check back in on Monday....The Bloggy Carnival Giveaway starts, and I have a giveaway that will last all week.

29 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous doll and delightful story...I can see the resemblance between the doll & your mum, same hair...same socks, how cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHe is in such good shape, and I love her outfit!
    How do you display her and keep her clean? I have dolls I'd like to have out, but I'm not sure what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The doll looks like new...she's lovely. Love the picture of your Mom as a girl-I remember wearing those socks and having very cold legs in winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treasure!

    I have some awards I'd like to share with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a show in Orlando this weekend called Gals and their Dolls it's all about little girls and vintage dolls! I love the old pic of your mom and her doll. They just don't make things the way they used to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That doll is in such good shape! Love the red hair. The vintage black and white of your poem and the other 2 is priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The doll is beautiful and I love the old photo of your mom. What great keepsakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce says that's not her its Lawana Jean and her little brother James. Our uncle Luie's daughter and son

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute and how neat that you have a picture to go with it. Thanks for an idea for a weeks from now. I have my grandma's with a story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The doll really does resemble your mother! It's like one of those look-a-like dolls you can have made for a child now a days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great doll and a great picture of your mom. They're both definitely vintage treasures :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet doll and a sweet pic of your mum. The vintage dolls are quality - especially to what we see today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an awesome doll and I just LOVE old b&w photos
    I own 2 red heads myself so i am partial

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mom was sooo cute! I love how the doll looks like her! What a treasure to have.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty doll. The old photo is wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great trip down memory lane! Love those!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely little doll and so well-kept. Yes, she looks like your Mom! What a real treasure you have there!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I just love her little puckered mouth!
    How charming she is.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute! Love old stuff like that

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi it's the welcome wagon again, just to keep things interesting, I'll be randomly revisiting ALL the blogs in SSS. You can call it butt kissing too, just in case you have me as your partner, I want to make sure I've made a good impression.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am glad someone in our family still has a memory. They say the first thing to go is the mind, so guess mine is slipping away as I do not remember the doll at all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. She's beautiful! I don't have my doll anymore but I wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh she's so sweet and still looks really good. I love that your mom's doll looks like her :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the doll and love the picture.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  25. How cute is that! I love dolls--she's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This dolly is very cute, and looks like your mom to boot! I love your dogs! I miss my dachshunds, they were so sweet.....I have two chihuahuas now

    ReplyDelete
  27. this was my last doll and I loved her because she had red pigtails like I did---of course I loved dolls and usually got one every Christmas---I loved paper dolls as well and played with them all the time. Thanks for the post--take good care of the doll.

    ReplyDelete
  28. She is a wonderful doll! Everything about her speaks sweetness and is charming. The fact that she has such a special family history and connection to you makes her all the more special. And the picture is priceless--I enjoyed it so much!
    (Your pups are just the cutest!)
    Thanks so much for stopping by the cabin!
    Blessings to You!
    Claudia O.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The doll is so cute and looks brand
    new.What a wonderful family treasures
    the doll, your mom and the lovely photo too!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...