Saturday, May 2, 2009

MORE THAN "Just a Dog"

I found this poem somewhere online and had saved it in my computer. I was looking for something the other night and came across this wonderful reminder of what is near and dear to my heart...my pups. This post is dedicated to Sophie, Dora and Bella....the words are just not adequate enough to describe what these girls bring to my life.

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog",or,"that's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend,"or "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog," brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog," brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog," I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day. I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog," but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a woman."

So next time you hear the phrase "just a dog"...... Just smile, because they "just don't understand."
~Author Unknown

28 comments:

  1. i took half of those :)
    love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too sweet and too true! We have a Golden Retriever and a Chocolate Lab. They were hubby's before we got together and they got him through some definite DARK DAYS and now they are just spoiled rotten, old farts, living the life. They play with the 3 year old now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Suzanne...this was wonderful & I agree with every word...our little fur kids are good for our souls. My little poodle passed away a year ago last month & I still miss her so...Hugs, Bo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! Thanks for sharing. I have a dachshund post scheduled. Check out my book giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's another saying, that might fit here---A dog is man's best friend--

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was very nice. One time I said I was "just a mom" and boy was I put in my place. Dogs are wonderful and our family will always have one if not more. (we have 3 dachshunds right now)
    Thank you for sharing such a nice poem.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THAT POEM! Dogs have always been a part of my life, and when I've been without one, I am miserable, so this poem struck a note with me. Your doggie pictures are soooo cute! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww! I couldn't agree more! Our dogs mean the world to our family and we'd be so lost without them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you were getting some baleful looks while photographing! I think they might be sick of it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. How true,they are your best friends and wonderful companions. They will always be there for you, unlike some people. I miss ours so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, I stole your post title and wrote my "more than just a dog" offering...go see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Just a dog" is a foreign phrase in our house. Our universe revolves around our three four-legged kids, and there is no 'just' about them. Unless we are saying that our 17 year old miniature poodle is 'just 17'. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post and I agree with you! It has been 7 years since my girl, Spunky, passed away. I still remember her like it was yesterday. She was my first baby. I only wish that dogs could live longer. She was 14 when she passed away. Since she was so much like family we just couldn't put her down. She lived a long happy life.
    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  14. O' to be a dog at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is AWESOME !!!! My two are definitely helping me through my grief. I'll never ever be the same but these boys are keeping me sane.....on most days !!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always feel sorry for people who don't have dogs and just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's not "just a dog"; it's my heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This puts chills on me ! I love my dogs so much and can't understand anyone who is not a dog person. I feel sorry for them for living thier lives and never knowing...My little shih tuz's are 12 years old going on 45. I plan on them lasting at least that long. Thanks and thanks for the sweet note that you left me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's so TRUE!
    Just got the link to your blog from Room service-Decorating because i just made a blog post about dressing up a Daschund as a U-Boat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My dogs are my life, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. That is a true to the heart poem for me. I loved the pics you chose to accompany the poem too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just read this for the first time a few weeks ago in an email that my sil sent. LOVED it. Truer words were never spoken!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved that ♥ I feel my dog is so much more than just a dog too. I'm sure the neighbors arethink I'm a little off because I bought my dog one of those baby trailers that attach to the bike. Charli hates to stay home alone so now we bike ride together. Love your pictures ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THIS POST!!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amen, We have 3 that are not just a dog. Fur babies are the term in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aww. I love your pictures! Such a sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi. just found your blog. we lost our doxie two years ago and i'm still in mourning over "just a dog". hard even to see pix. circs may change and we'll get another but until then i'll love yours!jkj

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are such wonderful pics! I have a dachshund too and so always am attracted to blog ladies with dachshunds! They are adorable! Mine is 3 and brown and his name is Nico and he's adorable. Check him out at my blog thegoodlifeatmyhouse.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...