Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Forgotten Mountain Treasures

Hello Everyone! Welcome to this weeks segment of Vintage Thingies Thursday.

Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone.

Last week we spent some time at our cabin in Colorado, high in the mountains. Most of the time, we spent working, making the cabin ready for guest staying there during the summer. That usually is the way of our visits to the mountains.

Sometimes, we take a little time for ourselves, and hike or drive to hike on nearby BLM land and enjoy a bit of nature. This time, we came across an abandoned cabin of yesterday, with the door propped open, just offering us (me) an invite to have a peek inside.

Guess who ventured in, yep you got it.....none other than myself. Steve thought it not too wise...as the place was a mess....looked to be a cozy spot for wildlife for years and years.

But beneath the rubble and mess, I found a few treasures that had been long forgotten. And much to Steve's protest...I scooped them up and they were cleaned up, soaked in bleach water and are back to all their original glory.

This is the first thing that caught my eye, with the cabinet doors torn off the cabinets revealed a lovely green milk glass (I believe) loaf pan. It could be a refrigerator dish, but it looks more like a loaf pan to me. There were a few glasses in the cabinet but this was the main thing that caught my eye. I left the glasses for the next big adventurer who stumbles across this cabin.

When you hold this up to the light, the glass looks translucent and you can see the light thru the glass, this may be jadeite, I am not sure. No markings of any kind are on this piece.

Imagine my delight when I spotted two green glass plates. This is the dinner plate, and in my excitement, I managed to break the smaller plate. I was not happy. These were the only two in the place, I am sure all the others were destroyed or taken years ago.

This pretty restaurant plate was so dirty, you could not even tell it was anything other than brown. I could tell through the muck, that it was a jewel of a plate. Steve....not so much.

Here is a closeup of the details of the plate. This is stamped RimRol Shenango China New Castle, Pa. Pat. No. 2.178.274. I love the colors and how this one cleaned up.

Now, I so would not advise taking off in the woods and dragging found treasures out of abandoned cabins. I learned from a friend that rodents and such that is left behind by these critters carry deadly disease and is often found in the muck of such abandoned cabins. Who knew... well, we probably knew this, but I was not even thinking about that sort of thing when my eyes were fixed on treasures......believe me, Steve has had a fit over that. I have heard "I told you so..." only about a 100 times.

However, with a little research when I got home from the Internet, I think we are fine.....but I think that will be the end of my treasure hunting in the like for awhile....that is some scary stuff....but it is so hard not to love the feeling at finding a treasure long forgotten years ago and knowing they can once again shine like new. I love that, right or wrong.

Next week, I will show you the rest of my found goodies.....


If you are visiting and would like to join us, please do. It is very easy!
All you have to do is:
(1) do a post about something vintage.
(2) Visit all the participates and leave a comment.
(3) Link in with the Mr. Linky at the bottom of this post, please use a perma-link to link in with, that way, anyone can refer back to your post if they can not get to it on Thursday.
(4) Be sure to refer back to my blog so everyone can see who is participating today, and if you like include the VTT button in your post. Please be sure to have your post up before linking in. Thanks so much.

Have a great week everyone!! And Happy Treasure Hunting!

Vintage Thingie Thursday Participants
1. A Woman of Notes
2. Jewelgirl
3. Jeanne
4. i luv retro things
5. Terry @ Cherished Treasures
6. postcardy
7. Elizabeth
8. Indiana Keetha
9. CC
10. fitty
11. Susan
12. SueLovesCherries
13. LaVoice
14. Rosie
15. Angela
16. Rosie (oops)
17. Marjorie.mollys country memories
18. Bea
19. Barbara Jean
20. Marie (happy postcards:)
21. Linnea
22. Ulla
23. mannequin
24. Miri
25. A Thrifty Mrs
26. JustJingle
27. Tesoro Fino ~ Fine Treasures
28. Karla @ Ramblin' Roads
29. mub
30. Becky

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

33 comments:

  1. Ooooh, and abandoned farm house, how wonderful! Love the milk glass loaf pan... I have a similar pie pan I got at a tag sale for 25 cents and I love using it. Isn't it strange how houses full of goodies get abandoned like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh some times taking that chance and
    finding treasures is a fun thing.
    Lovely green post, love the green
    glass! Have a nice Memorial weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh what a great story! I love the green loaf pan and the printed plate the best. Lucky you! But thanks for the warning for any future cabin-searchers LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh oooh oooh I am SO drooling overyour treasures, I SO want the milk glass loaf pan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can these items be vintage? It's so interesting to see what everyone has and remember back when..it seems like it was only yesterday. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are awesome finds! It's like being an archaeologist! I like the restaurant plate the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the loaf pan too. I think if it is a loaf pan (and not a refrigerator dish it will say something like "ovenware" or "ovenproof."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo, I love that loaf pan and the plate. Sometimes you just have to peek inside..look what was waiting for you to retrieve.
    p.s.you be careful where you wander..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all that green! Nice treasure hunting even with all the protests; I would have done the same in a flash.
    Have a great Memorial weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow, what good finds! Can you imagine? I wonder why they were left behind? Did someone plan to return..... I would worry about the rodent/wild animal diseases, too. Might be worth investing in a hazmat suit to claim treasures like those, though, LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Personally...I think it was worth risking the black plague to rescue these beauties :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finds, Suzanne. I have a green bowl like your loaf pan and I do believe they are jadite. No mark on mine either. Glad you had a great "working" vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tell, Steve to chill out....old treasures are found in places that have been abandoned. I love to ride the back roads and find old abandon house to dig in. Love the plates and the loaf pan, I think the plate with the picture of the Mill is my favorite.
    Some folks make a living digging in old privies for buried bottle and other treasures.
    Happy VTT.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cool you found all those treasures!
    I would not have thought a thing about the 'germs and disease" either.

    I posted two Thursday things together.
    If that is not OK to do, Please let me know.

    Blessings and thanks for hosting.
    Your great at it!!

    Barbara Jean

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Elizabeth! You have an archaeologists soul! How thrilling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a fun time and you've got souvenirs to prove it!
    Lovely green and the restaurant plate is very nice. The thought just occurred to me how nice it would be to start collecting restaurant plates. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Suzanne.. thanks for hosting this wonderful event.. and your green milk glass pan looks so pretty.. love it! Happy VTT and wishing you great weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe you went in there and even more, I can't believe you found such a beautiful and delicate looking plate in tact! You are a true VTT heroine!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the green loaf pan! It's beautiful. I would love to poke around into an abandoned farm house.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha! You and I are on the same theme this week! Only I didn't bring anything home except pictures. Gorgeous treasures! I probably would have snagged such things if I had found them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your treasures and I would have adopted them too.

    The Raggedy Girl

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cool! I'd have been more worried about snakes than deadly diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this post. Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone to find things.
    I love the green,glass plate. I think it's depression glass; maybe by Hocking Glass Co. They made glassware from 1929-1933, but I don't recognize the pattern.

    Wish we could find more abandoned houses these days. Not too many left.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love to look thru abandoned houses or barns - they have such history - and it is doubly interesting when you find such treasures as you found! Glad you rescued them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. having trouble loading your page. But please visit my blog entry:
    http://viridian61.blogspot.com/2009/05/this-thursday-i-am-sharing-some-silk.html

    or just
    http://viridian61.blogspot.com/
    thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mr. Linky has disappeared! :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm also having trouble loading your page! And Mr. Linky is not there! I can't believe I finally got this far.

    I have been trying to look at all of the blogs of people who have visited me. I'm sure I've missed 1 or 2. Sorry!!!

    Great Vintage Thingies you have!!!

    Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday!!!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my Suzanne...You can't imagine how excited we are to visit your cabin! I'm telling everybody we know about it...I can't believe the wonderful treasures you discovered...Later gator, ;-) Bo

    ReplyDelete
  29. beautiful green glass and a great story on the find. having trouble loading your page since Wed night, no Mr. linky. if you want to see my VTT go to www.lalaslovelys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Interesting story and find!! Last night I could not visit your blog while in AOL. Yours and a few other blogs were giving me error messages and saying page could not be opened. So I posted my link through Moxilla Firefox which was very slow for me. But surprise, this evening I could actually visit your blog. Now I wonder if it is because Mr. Linky is not here. Crazy! I wish I could figure out what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What some people will do! I thought the trash pile was bad enough, now raiding old houses. Poor Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What wonderful treasures you found. That restaurant plate is so great, and the two green treasures are lovely. I would run the risk of bringing those treasures home too. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey you....just saw the note you left me,you are sooo sweet!!Love all these treasures,sounds like you had fun finding them too! All the best to you, Chrissy

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...