Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Vintage Disney

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a "dog-gone" good time each and every week!!!
If you are new to this party, please take the time to
read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. Please only ONE link per week. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies being showed that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much.

This week, I'd like to show you some of my vintage Disney items. I love these and hope you enjoy seeing them.


Now this first item is very dear to my heart. This is a baby spoon and fork set with adorable Mickey and Minnie Mouse. My grandmother told me that it belonged to my father. I can remember as a very young girl, I would always look at this set in her silverware drawer. For some reason, they always intrigued me. I don't really remember using them, I just liked the way they looked. She eventually gave them to me, and I have treasured them ever since.

To tell you the truth, honestly, I love them for the memories they represent. Memories of getting up very early in the morning and being in the kitchen while my "memaw" made breakfast, and me pestering her about the spoon and fork. I like the fact that they were my dad's but that is really not important to me, because as a child I could never imagine him using these at all! For some reason, that just did not seem to fit with my dad. This little spoon and fork represent a beloved time spent with my grandmother in her kitchen. They are truly a family treasure, just like the memories I have of my dear grandmother.

From what I found out on the Internet these date back to the 1930's. My dad was born in 1938, so that fits. The 4.25" "Mickey Mouse" fork shows Mickey walking w/one hand waving in the air. The 4" "Minnie Mouse" spoon shows her full figure also w/one hand waving in the air. Back of each reads "Fairfield Silver Plate."

Sorry, I did not polish these little jewels, but I think you can see the graphics on the spoon much better the way they are.
I really love the old vintage Mickey and Minnie, they are so cute.
Now this is the a picture I found off the Internet. This is the original box they would have came in, and I am sure increasing the value. Very neat. I just wanted to show you how great this is in the original box. I don't have the box that they originally came in, but that is OK, I have wonderful memories instead of sifting through a silverware drawer in my grandmothers kitchen and being fascinated by them. You can not put a price tag on memories like that.

Oh, and here is my little spoon and fork set with a Disney Donald Duck cup from my own childhood. I was born in the 1960's so I would date this back to that time. I love this as well. Donald is so cute. The bottom of the cup is stamped "The Disney Collection, Japan". Lot's of milk was sipped out of this cup. I'm glad that after forty something years, this cup is still in fairly good shape.

Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday everyone!!! Have a great week.



32 comments:

  1. I love you vintage Disney items. They are even more valuable because of the memories that come with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spoon and fork are darling and how sweet that you still have your cup. I have my children's things...I can't part with anything, but nothing very old!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Disney vintage, maybe now that I am living in Florida, I might run into some at yard sales.
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cute set! I luv it and the vintage Mickey look's so much nicer to me. Thank You for hosting today.......Julian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovin' the cute fork and spoon, I'm sure I'd be asking my G-Mom about them too! Great memories:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I love the Disney Vintage Thingys"... I especially LOVE that Donald juice mugs. We had as our everyday orange juice mugs the SAME ones only with Florida Orange Juice written on them... LOVED them, and I still have the set...Hmmm, I'll have to go HUNT for them! Even though mine have memories "I LIKE yours BEST"!!!
    Have a great week,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to reserve one of your kitchen cabinets for treasure from grandma's life. I really like any Walt Disney products, but the cup is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a precious family treasure and yes, the memories are more special than the itme itself. Thanks for hosting! Nan

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! Such good memories, nothing like being in the kitchen with Grandma. I have my mother Mickey little washing machine, Donald Duck straws in the original box...my Grandmother made it a treat to use them! I think they will end up on Vintage Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Howdy Suzanne
    Oh what a blessing you have :)
    I really enjoyed this post !
    Thank you for hosting and for sharing your love of vintage .
    Until next time
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are very cute but it really is the memories of your grandmother and the time spent with her that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Suzanne, this is so wonderful to read and see. As you know I love anything vintage and the memories that go with them. This is just a treasure to have!

    Thanks again for hosting another great party, its been a while since I stopped by to play along!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  13. Suzanne, it's wonderful that you have something so sweet that belonged to your dad. And don't worry about not polishing them. They look great just the way they are. ;)

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are nice items, and your memories make them even better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet story. It is all about the memories, you are right!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are awesome. I have similar memories of a mary poppins spoon my mother had sent away for when i was very young. loved that thing. yours are so great. glad you still have them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh what wonderful memories and adorable items..love them all! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a treasure you have, in the little spoon and fork! Such sweet memories they bring. I agree, that the special memories are so much better than original packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My best friend is going to LOVE this post! They head to Disney in 8 days!
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are indeed special. I never got to Disneyland as a young person and don't remember ever seeing that spoon and fork. All your things are very interesting. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Suzanne!
    I love this post! What treasures you have. I've never seen anything like the fork and spoon before, so darling! And how wonderful to still have your adorable childhood cup! Isn't it amazing how the memories come flooding back, as if it were yesterday?!
    Being a So. Cal. native, Disneyland played a huge part in my growing up years and your stuff brought back a ton of memories for me. One time in particular when I was about five or six - my brother's best friend was coming along with us (my brother was seven years older) and his friend entertained me, talking like Donald Duck the hour drive down. I thought he was the greatest thing ever!
    Thanks so much for the smiles,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Suzanne! What precious memories and vintage treasures! I have lots of fond memories of Walt Disney movies. Just magical!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your Disney items! What a sweet and precious memory.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute flatware! What great memories! I just saw some Mickey Mouse Christmas dinnerware today.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a precious set -glad you still have them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. lovely pieces! and great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this post, such great memories of your grandmother! And the spoons are awesome, too. So glad you shared these.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great story ... really enjoyed reading this post! I love all things Disney. I've been going to Disneyland since it opened ... unfortunately, I do not have ANY of the many souvenirs/knick knacks my parents must have bought me when I was young. And wouldn't you know it, today was DS#2 first day of work at Disneyland! I'm collecting Disney ornaments for him this Christmas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your cute Disney spoon and fork. The memories make them priceless.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  30. Suzanne I haven't had anything new in so long that I haven't posted. The economy has hit me in thrifting.

    But I got some great buttons and wanted to share and then forgot to do it yesterday - but I still wanted to do it because buttons are so great!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  31. wonderful vintage this week and the story/memories behind the fork and spoon is precious!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...