Tuesday, July 12, 2011

It Doesn't Take Much To Make Me Cry.......


Call it hormones.....call it tenderhearted.....call it what you will....but today I sat down and cried like a baby....guess my eyes needed a good eye washing. Many know about my "Cards for Seniors" post I put up each month. You will find that on my sidebar under "one fine blessing". I have no way of knowing how many even read those post, much less participate in that project. I have sorta felt like there were not that many who did have the time to participate and had thought I'd cancel it before the end of the year....I was thinking this might not interest too many folks.

But then today....I received this letter in the mail....and believe me, I just cried.......I'd like to share it with you here. Some of what this dear soul said, I am leaving out as I feel it was most private in nature....but you will get the idea of the message.

Dear Colorado Lady,

Words can not express how wonderful my last Birthday was. No words can tell you what that week meant to me. I am going to tell you about it and thank you for all you have done.

I received a knock at the door one afternoon and it was my mailman. I felt that strange, as I don't get mail other than on sale ad days. (my kids control me and all my money and bills) so I see nothing and get nothing. That wonderful day I had two cards. TWO. I was shaking so bad when I opened them I could hardly hold them. And then, dollar bills fell out of the cards. I was dumbstruck. The cards alone were such a bright spot but that fact that there was a dollar in each I was almost afraid it was a scam. I sat those cards on my mantel and admired them all night. The dollar bills sat there too as I was not sure what to do with that money.


The next day I got three MORE cards and 4 more dollars. These cards had the most warmest greetings and wishes for my Birthday that I could not even remember the last time I felt like I mattered to anyone much less a stranger. My family does not live close and they are so busy, that I just don't see them hardly at all. All my friends are gone and it is just me. I have a neighbor behind me who calls me to see if I need anything from time to time. So you can really not imagine how these cards lifted my spirits and honestly, I had all but forgotten my birthday was coming as it is something that is just regarded as just another day.

What you don't know as I feel like I have some angels who were watching over me. I had very slim pickings in my cupboards until the next week when I got my allotment for groceries from my kids. I always make do, but for some reason this month was a little short. With my Birthday dollars I purchased a small milk, cheese, small bread, a tomato and a chap stick. I made it just fine for several days and was so thankful beyond words that someone out there cared enough to send me a card and a dollar.

Thank you so much and there has to be a special place in heaven for folks like you and all the others who made my week and birthday special. I am sorry it took me so long to write you a note of thanks. I am slow but mean well.

I hope we meet one day on the other side so I can hug you proper.

I don't know really what to say but thank you to all who have participated in this project. When you think you are not making a difference and all your efforts are tossed to the wind, something usually blows back into view and lets you know how much you do matter...to someone....somewhere......in big ways or small. If you know a senior to be added to the list of birthdays, please email me and lets add them. You just never know what a blessing to someone a card can be.


20 comments:

  1. Wow. That is wonderful. Makes me tearful, too. What wonderful people. Is this project still going on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria, yes, I post every month for any Birthdays that fall for that month. This month is listed under the label on the side bar. Would love to have you join us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many things go on with the senior seniors that shock. Love to that wonderful senior who wrote to you. Love to those who read and sent a birthday card and small gift that was essential to living, food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a big lump in my throat from reading this. How wonderful to hear that we can make a difference with such a little thing. I have participated for the first time this month and have one more card to send for a Birthday on the 18th. This has encouraged me to continue...please lets keep this wonderful movement growing. Our Seniors are so forgotten in today's society. Suzanne thank you for doing this!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel bad for putting this off and not having sent a card. Seriously, a card?? I just discovered you can get cards 2 for 1.00 at the dollar store and sticking a dollar inside and stamp all for less than 2.00 makes such a difference??? Shameful your comments are not blowing up with people thanking you for the opportunity to do this. I am sorry I have been so slack...no more!

    This blog is certainly an inspiration to me on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Suzanne what a wonderful letter. This has been the greatest idea. I've got my card for Joyce ready to put in the mail for the 18th. Thanks for writing this, as it is my reminder :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't aware of your "one fine blessing". I am going to check it out after I finish writing this. What a wonderful letter for you to recieve...makes it all worth it it. What I find upsetting is her "children" controlling her money and not having much food. Shame on them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Suzanne! That is so wonderful to have heard from someone who received those cards and to hear how blessed she was from it. I'm glad she wrote so we will all get more involved with the seniors and shut ins than we do!

    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stars in your crown, girl, stars in your crown. We never know what an impact we can have on someone, we just never know.
    God bless you and all the ones who take part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me want to cry, too. Her humble way of showing her thanks, and the lack of thoughtfulness on the part of her children. She should be able to buy her staples. I hope she has or will make that apparent to her children.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a few tears flowing when I read this too! I feel so honored to be part of this project and to see that it touched someone's heart has really made my heart smile today. Thanks for all you do...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks sew much for sharing this letter from one of your seniors. Allotment for groceries from her kids?? and she was short some money?? OMG! I'm a senior, and having a birthday next week too and didn't even know about your card blessings. What a marvelous gift you are giving to some people. Groceries come first in my book and I always have a good stock on hand. Thanks for doing this and yes, continue it....if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an eye opening post...got to agree with sewmeow,,,yes continue and now I'm off to check your info for sending a birthday blessing to a stranger. What a great way to brighten someone's day...and finally a good use for all those neat cards that I can't seem to resist buying! Thank you! *e*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super special post--I have been negligent with this project, though I admired your idea to do it. Checking it out now. . .thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many others just like this dear lady. Blessings come in small ways.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe I didn't know about this until I read this post! I want to be part of it. I'm not sure how so I will look forward to hearing from you. I am going to put your link on my blog. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please email me the list or sign me up or let me get involved somehow. Is there any help you need?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This makes me think - I love the world. So many amazing people.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sometimes, there are no words....
    Lovely.

    KT

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...