Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Vintage Wedding Ring Quilt

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a "dog-gone" good time each and every week!!!
If you are new to this party, please take the time to
read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. Please only ONE link per week. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies being showed that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much.

This past weekend, Jeff and Alisha were home and it was a bit on the cool side. So I took out a couple of quilts and put them on the beds for extra cover. My daughter walked into my sewing room and commented on this quilt. She said to me that this is the quilt she had been asking me where I had put it. Funny, I did not remember that conversation coming up in the past, but she did.

She said this is the quilt she remembered on her bed when she was a little girl, it was all soft and comfy and good for snuggling....much better than a new quilt. I did remember she always liked this quilt as the conversation went forward.

She even pointed out that the marks on this quilt, that were done in permenant marker, were of her doings.....yes, there is the proof right there on the quilt. Funny, I had not remembered them being there before...but you can tell that the marks have been there for a while....several years in fact.

Then she proceeded to tell me how when she was little, she used to love to look at all the fabrics and pick out her favorites. She exclaimed that was what she would do when she was supposed to be taking a nap in the afternoons. She assured me this was her favorite quilt and it held lots of memories for her. Well...crap....that was the wrong thing to say to me.....sentimental fool I am......I had to take a deep breath and tell her she could take it with her when she went home.

That was no easy thing for me to do I might add. This quilt was made by my grandmother's mother on my dad's side of the family. My great grandmother pieced this quilt and I have always treasured it. I told my daughter that her great, great-grandma made the quilt and it was a treasure, and to please take care of it. As I type this, I still find it hard to believe I let her take it.


The quilt is not in perfect condition, it is vintage and has a few places that are not perfect. But quilts like this were made to be used and enjoyed not stored away. I feel relatively sure that my daughter will use this and enjoy it. I am not sure she is as sentimental as I am and treasure it, but at least it will be used as it was intended....for warmth and comfort along with holding fond memories for her.

But did I mention how hard it was to not tell her I changed my mind and keep it here with me??? I am rather proud of myself for letting a real treasure to my heart go on with the next generation to enjoy it. It was not easy.



30 comments:

  1. I, too, have a wedding ring quilt made by my mother-in-law. We inherited it when she passed away many years ago. It is not as old as the one you had. I think your daughter will take care of it since it has sentimental value to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is gorgeous! And I am sure your daughter will take good care of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful quilt, but I have no trouble believing that you decided to pass it on, as difficult as it was. That's what Moms do :). I'm sure she will treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful and hopefully it will build a whole new set of memories in its new home. {{{}}}

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Suzanne! How wonderful to have a quilt in the family made by your great grandmother! Sending you lots of hugs for parting with it a little sooner than you'd have liked. It sounds like it is very precious and dear to your daughter too and I'm guessing it will be in the best of hands and kept safe. Just think of the new stories it will have to tell!
    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzanne I am so proud of you. I know that was hard. Hopefully she loves it and realizes it is a priceless heirloom. Of course you want her to use it, jut take care of it. Yes, I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must have been hard to let it go. It is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice that she is interested in it. Of course you would pass it along. better now while you can enjoy her excitement over it then later. Then you can also make sure she is taking great care of it too. Very generous gift I might add.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a gift indeed! i'm sure she will treasure it, Suzanne because she has such fond memories of this beautiful quilt, as a small child. Remember whatever we give with love comes back to us tenfold..or something like that lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was nice to let your daughter have it. She will really enjoy it and take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What won't we do for our babies? Big or small.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Alisha will take wonderful care of your family heirloom. She loves it and she has learned to love vintage from you...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely gesture, Suzanne! Even if your daughter doesn't fully appreciate the heritage of that quilt right now, I'm sure she will eventually.

    Have a blessed week!

    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That quilt is gorgeous! I'm sure she is aware that she has a priceless treasure and will take good care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the quilt is lovely. I'm sure your daughter will treasure it. Maybe not with the same appreciation as you but she does have fond memories of the quilt. I'm sure she will take good card of it and it will comfort her.

    What a wonderful "family" story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suzanne, I don't think you need to worry. I think Alisha loves that quilt already and she will take care excellent care of it and will let you come visit it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Quilt. You're such a weet Mother for letting her take your treasure. I'm sure she will cherish it too, she has such fond memories of it.
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt. I'm sure it will be well loved.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. The quilt is lovely! I'm sure your daughter will not use permanent markers on it any more, but I think it would not do any harm to let her know what a treasure it is so that the next generation could enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fantastic heirloom to have and I think you giving it to your daughter....passing it on to the next generation is wonderful!! Maybe your mom felt the same way about giving it to you????

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  21. The quilt is wonderful. I love looking at it too! It would be hard to give away, but it sounds like your daughter will treasure it too.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Suzanne...bless you for giving your daughter this lovely quilt. I am still waiting for the one my great-grandma made and I loved on my bed as a kid. Mom says. *someday*..I am 50 and a sentimental fool, so I am not sure what she is waiting for, lol.

    Thanks for hosting each week :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  23. Giving your daughter that treasured quilt was brave, honorable and the right thing to do. I am proud of you!! You also set an example for all of us that even though we love something, it's heart warming to give that something we love to one we love. A precious memory was made for you both. Thanks for hosting VTT!!

    Lots of love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful quilt! Thank You for hosting today...Julian

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Suzanne, first post since struggling with back and shoulder problems. I love that quilt. I have one with that same pattern made by my mom. I has some worn areas but I try to keep them repaired. No one is using it now. Not sure who it will end up with. Guess I will have to let them draw straws. LOL
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  26. Is there a label on the quilt telling who made it and when and where? It's very important that the quilt be documented! Otherwise, future generations may say, "Oh, that old thing? I think it was made be someone in the family, but I'm not really sure." I have several inherited quilts and not one living person knows who made them. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is the sweetest thing! I believe your great grandma will be rejoicing to see her creation being cherished by both you and your daughter.
    Thank you for hosting, that's a lovely new habit for me!

    ReplyDelete
  28. awe, thats so awesome. It's really cool that you were able to let it go, and know that it will be both loved, and used. I love old quilts, I hope I find one someday that's perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is so lovely of you to let her have it. It sounds as though her memories of the joy the quilt gave her, mean that she will take care of it and treasure it too.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...