Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Vintage Christmas Treasures

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a "dog-gone" good time each and every week!!!
If you are new to this party, please take the time to
read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. Please only ONE link per week. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies being showed that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much.

Next Thursday is Thanksgiving here in the United States, and I know many will be very busy. I will have a post up as usual, and a link working so if you want to link in, feel free to do so. I know several will want to know what the plan is.....

Now, I really do like most things vintage, Christmas items are no exception. I found a lovely array of holiday items at an estate sale a while back, and well....purchased most all they had. Now, what am I going to do with them? That is a good question...but I loved the memories that these treasures recalled from my childhood.  A time, some days, I long to return to....even for just one day. Take a look.

Vintage Christmas Cards:

These are some fabulous vintage Christmas cards, in the original boxes. There is just something about the designs and graphics on vintage cards that really can bring a melancholy feeling of holidays pasts. Now, I don't know why that is the case for me, but hey, I don't question it. I just love them. I maybe will frame a few of my favorite ones and sit out on a shelf or table top at the holidays.

Vintage Gift Tags:


Oh, can you believe I found these vintage gift tags. Talk about memories. I think when I saw the bag of tags and started looking at them, my heart skipped a beat.

I swear some of these tags are the exact tags I remember being on the packages of gifts at my grandmothers house. Believe me, I would recognize them in a heartbeat. I did not spend several days before Christmas peeking at the tags over and over again, looking at my presents, and seeing who they were from for nothing. I was training my eyes for years down the road to recognise a treasure when I found one.

Will I use these tags? No, most likely not. I don't know what I will do with them, but treasure them I will....Oh, what wonderful memories they bring to mind just looking at them.

Vintage Napkins:

Are these adorable or what? The only thing I can say, is these reminded me of my mother. No, she does not like Santa Claus all that much, you see, she is a snowman person herself. But these reminded me of class parties at school, and my mom, who was the room mother. She always planned the parties, made the favors, baked the cookies, the works. Thanks mom.

Remember how excited everyone was on party day at school, well that is the same excitement I felt when I saw these adorable santa napkins. I know, I am weird. The price tag on them is .39 cents. You know they are old, I don't think you can even purchase a single napkin for .39 cents these days.

Do I think my mom would have purchased these back then, sure I do, after all, for a young child, what says Christmas more than Santa. It's funny how a single item will spawn memories of your childhood.
I really love the old vintage looking Santa. He is so cute. So I had to have them, with no purpose or design to use them. Just to have.

Vintage Serving Trays:

I found these vintage serving trays from Hallmark at the same sale. Now, I remember my mom having about 2 of these and used them at Christmas for cookies or candy, and serving her famous cheese roll with crackers on the tray.
I loved those trays and had forgot all about them until I happened upon them at this sale.

Wow, light bulb moment...I had forgot about something I so loved as a child. Silly, I know. I purchased 6 of these, 2 red birds and 4 snowmen trays. I loved the birds and the snowmen just remind me of my mom so I had to have them. The original tags and packaging was with them $3.00. I would guess these were from the late 60's or early 70's. Now, these, I will more than likely use. I think they are so cute.

There are always wonderful memories associated with Christmas and holidays.
Just writing this post took me back about 40 years, to my grandmother's house that always smelled of good food. To a house that had an aluminum Christmas tree in the dining room and a real tree in the living room with red decorations and silver icicles. But most of all, this post brought back wonderful memories of the families who gathered there during the holidays, who loved each other and wanted to share their lives with each other, and took the time to do so. Precious memories that are etched in the very soul of my heart.
~ Good Stuff ~



36 comments:

  1. Suzanne!

    I'm getting excited for Christmas and feeling the pressure too! Love your old cards ...... I have some that have lived in the wrapping paper tub for years! I wonder if I will ever send them ??? LOL

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh do those bring back the memories. I found tons of the Christmas gifts tags too when we cleaned out the farm. Nope haven't used them. They bring back to many memories ;)
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is that special touch in the artwork that makes it all so vintage...especially the Christmas cards. I'm so happy that the tags and trays bring back so many wonderful school memories you shared with your mom. I was a room mom and I hope my kids never forget that!!! ;-D

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I've said it before, but I will say it again, I have the same taste in old stuff that you do. I just love this old Christmas memories. They remind me of similar things. What a wonderful find for you. loe the napkins too. I just wish we realized back then how cool they would all be right now. Thank goodness some people can't get rid of stuff so that we can find it years later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Suzanne, you're as bad as me lol! i LOVE and collect all those sweet little Chrissy things too and isn't it fun to bring them out at this time of the year, they bring back many happy childhood memories.
    btw i couldn't bear to use those sweet little vintage cards, no way! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful finds! Isn't it amazing how something as simple as a gift tag can open the flood gates to childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you know, I am not the one in our family that gets carried away with the holidays. I do enjoy seeing what others have. I like all your goodies, but I love old cards. There is just something unique in them as opposed today's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there are a number of reasons those of us who love vintage want to surround ourselves with it. But I think memories probably tops the list. How wonderful that these Christmas treasures conjured up such beautiful memories from your past. I have vintage paper goods I can't bear to use either, Suzanne. However, you choose to use them, I hope you thoroughly enjoy them.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tags are my favorites. I was glad when they started making self-stick tags, but I like the old designs better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like the older Christmas treasures are so fun to dig out. I still have a couple of old ornaments that we had when I was a child.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Suzanne your words ring so true. I am so excited for the holidays this year as I did not feel well last year. I love those trays and have a couple myself. I can remember attaching the tags with a little tie on them. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely reading about how these have reminded you of great memories. Love the gift tags! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Suzanne, I am so happy to join you for Vintage Thingie Thursday today. I haven't for awhile! I love vintage christmas tags and images. I use them for my etsy store for tags, etc. Can't believe Christmas is not so far away!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get it, I get it. I love the graphics and simplicity of these vintage Christmas treasures. I remember my Nana (grandmother) used her old Christmas cards as gift tags.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suzanne, those are absolutely adorable vintage Christmas things. the tags are so beautiful as are the Christmas cards. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all your Christmas vintage. A truly great treasure.
    Thanks so muc for hosting..
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember those serving trays! The tags and napkins still in the package. What a sweet treasure! Thanks so much for hosting my Favorite Link Party.
    Happy VTT
    ~Danylle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such lovely vintage things! Thanks for hosting this fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Suzanne, thanks for hosting again! This is one of my favorite link parties. I know just what you mean about that sort of melancholic nostalgia -- I feel it too. Those tags wee just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are such great Paper finds, and a whole box too! I love old Holiday items, and I'm itching to find more Holiday paper items to slowly build up my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  21. suzanne, first we ADORE wiener dogs - had two! secondly, your vintage Christmas items are sooooo sweet!!! i'm off to read more of your delightful blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Xmas is all about the memories. I love all you got, but my faves are the tags and the napkins.

    They are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So pretty and fun! I collect vintage Christmas things too--I'm a sentimental, nostalgic SILLY! :)
    Thanks for sharing your cute stuff. I think the gift tags are my favorites. . .but those jolly little Santas sure could dance their way into a girl's heart, couldn't they?
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I too am already excited for Christmas! I love finding things that remind me of my childhood- an ornament we used to have, or a recipe for a treasured dessert I had forgotten about! I love all your vintage gift tags, they're wonderful!

    Happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good morning Suzanne, I love the vintage Christmas items you shared. The tags are awesome. I guess I better start getting the Christmas boxes down huh? I am still in the fall Thanksgiving mode since I am having 30 people for turkey day.

    Have happy festive days ahead.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now girl, you've cleaned out a few cobwebs outta of this Ozark Farm Chick's brain! My mama used both cards and gift tags just like those. Heck, I think Granny Walden even had those very same napkins on her Christmas table. What wonderful treasures ya have there. It was so nice of you to share!

    From the nostalgic hills and holler of the Missouri Ponderosa, ya'll have a wonderfully blessed day!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh you hit the jackpot. Do you have an aluminum tree? The tags would look great as ornaments on it!!! I bought a vintage aluminum tree years ago at an antique mall. I also love the vintage cards, I love the way they used glitter.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  28. My grandmother had those Christmas cards like that, I love it and so many memories in those card... The door w the Santa and the Snow and the Birds, I always wished our Chrismtas would look like that. THose tags, had strings, then
    went to sticky on back and now days stickers. I had some old ones once and Victoria said how do u put these on...lol Uh tape...

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this post Suzanne! Isn't that the truth, what wonderful memories of days past are sparked by Christmas stuff.

    And what great stuff you found, you lucky! I love it all!

    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  30. Suzanne those are such fantastic vintage items. would love to find some of those at an estate sale to copy and use in my crafts. grace

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would have been so tempted to purchase those just as you did, but if hubby were with me he'd have reminded me of my closet filled with Christmas decor! What a find for someone who enjoys them and the memories they bring. This is my first visit her to this blog; I shall return but not until after Thanksgiving; I am a fellow vintage freak too!.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I especially love those santa napkins!!! :-)
    Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgivng, Suzanne!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love all the VIntage Christmas items, and as always thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What wonderful vintage items-I may have to like up with you sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I absolutely love estate sales - even if I don't buy anything. It's often like a trip through time as you go from room to room. The gift tags that you found are my favorite. For now I'm collecting vintage Santa ceramics...I'll get some posted at some point! Have a great week! -diane

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a wonderful Christmas vintage gift I really like it so much. Keep posting!

    toni

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...