Monday, January 3, 2011

My Parents Warped My Thinking

Well, the holidays are over, and most all of the goodies are gone too. That means I guess I am back to some type of a diet. Yuk!

This is want is left from the chex mix. This morning, I decided that my parents warped my mind as a child and ruined my thinking on chex mix. Let me explain.

My grandma made chex mix when I was a little girl, however she called it "trash" but it was the same. As a little girl, I was perfectly happy eating the peanuts and not worrying about the different nut variety in the mix, it was all the same. Until I noticed my mom picking out the cashews. I asked her why she was doing that and she told me those were the best, her favorite. Next, I noticed my dad picking out the Brazilian nuts and the pecans. And again, he said they were the best. Now, my dad was sorta selfish, and would not or at least tried to keep me from eating the pecans and Brazilian nuts, proclaiming I would not like them. Hum....as a kid, I no longer settled for the peanuts....I wanted what my parents claimed to be the best, and it was not the peanuts.

 And 30 something years later, my parents influence still holds true. The peanuts are almost all that is left. I did manage to find a half a cashew this morning and an almond. I savored the flavor, and now I am done with the mix as all "the good" nuts are gone.

I'd like to say thanks mom and dad, because as a little girl, this chex mix would still be just fine, but now....It is destined to either the squirrel feeders or the "trash" because you convinced me that these nuts were not good and there were better choices. Luckily, all that is really left is the crumbs and the peanuts.  I think this is one time I should not have listened to my parents! Just sayin'

19 comments:

  1. Funny! We used to call it "trash" too! I liked the cashews.....still do!
    Sherry@Back2Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up... Okay this year I thought I would fix my husband annual saying "It sure is good just not even NUTS!!! I added 1 whole can of cocktail peanuts and 1 1/2 cans of Mixed nuts and it was a big can and I swear I thought I would not hear that COMMENT.... well guess what he did say it and I fricking BLEW UP, needless to say, I bet I don't hear anymore about NUTS of any kind next year even if it only have one Peanut in it.....LOL Sandra will always tell yoiu Pecans aren't very good cause they r her favorite of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny!

    P.S. Happy New Year Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, funny, I was just thinking the other day how things my Mom and Dad said to me as a child have stuck with me to this day. When I buy mixed nuts in the shell, hubby will not eat the pecans or walnuts so the squirrels always get those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is funny. I just noticed at a Christmas party that people were picking through a snack mix. Yuk!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! I think that happened to many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute story. My favorite part of the Chex mix is the Chex squares. Strangely enough, I never buy Chex for a cereal though, just at Christmas to make the Chex mix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to pick out the darkest Chex pieces. Funny

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Chex Mix! We make something kind of like that that we call "White Trash" (tacky, I know) where you put melted chocolate and white powder on chex cereal. So good!!
    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cashews are my favorite followed closely by pecans. I will however eat the rest of the nuts, it just takes time. Peanuts are usually the last to go though. Plus I prefer to only use Rice Chex and Corn Chex - no Wheat Chex. And if I could get away with it I'd only use Rice Chex but there are others in the family that prefer the Corn Chex.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny indeed. We didn't have this mix growing up. My Mom did love cashews and would pick those out of a can of mixed nuts. I now find myself doing the same thing...old influences die hard don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I saw this title, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it, let alone leave comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your father is the only person I've ever heard of to favor Brazil nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too funny! Here's my little secret. Don't tell anyone. I pick out the cashews.... just the cashews.... when no one is looking. I was told not to do this, as a child, but I still do it.
    You go girl.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAHAH Funny! I love the peanuts myself. I love Chex Mix even better mixed with a little white chocolate!

    Sending hugs though..I read your post from before. I had a tough last 10 years myself and I can only hope that I have the courage to move on and move forward. All my best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum-O! I'm pretty sure I could live on Chex mix and Rice Krispy treats.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm. You can have the nuts. My favorite part is the cereal. We grew up on that, too, baking it in a turkey roaster. I love it, but I cannot stop eating it, so I don't make it anymore. I think I ate a batch in a week or so last year. All by myself. And, we both know how much butter is in that recipe. Better to buy it in small batches, except it doesn't taste as good. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember mum eating all the cashews and pecans outta the nut can and we got the peanuts!
    Then I found myself doing that to my kids!
    Somethings never change!

    I have a suggestion...next time you gals make chex mix add some fruity cereal to it {I used fruit loops but you can use fruity pebbles or any kind} It adds a totally different taste and bit of fruity bliss! We love it!

    Smiles,
    Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  19. We make this every year and everyone has their favorite, and not so favorite parts of it. It all seems to even out though as it all gets eaten!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...