Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Quilting Along: Brown Bag Quilt, RRCB, and Begging Quilt Project to name a few!!

I decided it was time to give an update on my brown bag quilt. Some of you may remember me talking about this a couple of months ago and showing the fabrics I received. If you'd like to refresh your memory, HERE is
the original post.




....And here is a SNEAK peak of the progress of the quilt. Just a small, well....very small shot of the top and just a smidgen of the borders. Surely, you did not expect me to show the whole top when it is not all the way sewn together?!? "What's That?" Oh, you did....well, just a few more days and I will display her in all her glory. Did you catch that....GLORY. I am happy with how this top turned out. It was a challenge using all the fabrics that were sent in the brown bag, but I have successfully done that.

I used some fabrics I had in my stash, that I had no idea what to do with. I went a totally different direction from when I first started out, but I guess that happens sometimes. We were allowed to buy one fabric to add to this quilt and the fabric I purchased was the outer border. I had the backing fabric and although it is not a perfect choice, when I finish with what I intend to do, I think it will look fine.

I can not wait to show my partner this top...but sorry Mary, you will have to wait a little longer!!

Along with working on this top, and the Roll Roll Cotton Boll quilt top by Bonnie Hunter, I have taken some of Bonnie's advice and decided to reclaim some fabric from thrift store finds. I have had a ball rescuing men's shirts for $1.00 each at the local Goodwill and preparing them to go into a quilt.


Just look at all this goodness. About half of these I had already purchased about a year ago, and decided to use Bonnie's method and cut them up and have the fabric ready to use in a project.


These fabrics are from Children's clothes, that I found for 50 cents a piece, I love these fun designs.


This is the year to be frugal on fabric purchases! I think I am off to a good start with these shirts. Besides that I have fallen in love with the idea of making quilt tops like they did in days gone by, using shirts, sacks, or whatever scrap they had on hand. I am excited to get started on this project soon.

One last update:  The begging quilt project is well on its way to being constructed!!! I even received some fabrics in the last couple of weeks and was thrilled, because I needed just a wee bit more for the size I want this to be. Stay tuned for more on this quilt! And again, thank you so very much for all who contributed to this quilt....it is going to be very special!


8 comments:

  1. You are a tricky one!! Get to sewing so we can see the whole thing!!! I can not wait, have been waiting on an update on the begging quilt project, that is going to be one great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking at thrift store clothing with new eyes. Several months ago I found some 100% cotton skirts that would surely be nice in a quilt. Have fun!

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com
    http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne,
    I've already sent you a pack for the project, but I love the idea so much, I would be happy to send another bunch. Let me know if you want some more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea that brown bag quilt is! Only, I think it would be even "funner" if you each sent the completed quilt back to the one who sent the brown bag.

    If I were a quilter - - - which I'm not nor shall I ever be since I HATE to sew - - - I would LOVE to participate in something like this.

    HA - - - I haven't got one "STASH" to my name, so what am I talkin' about???

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun this must be to finish up and see all you work come together.
    Can't wait to see the finished quilt.
    Nice work....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you still need more fabric for your begging quilt? I've got some stashed away that I haven't sent yet. :) Let me know and I'll send it on the way if you need it. (mab at onepost dot net)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recognize a lot of those fabrics! The sneak peek is making me even more curious, partner!

    - Mary, The Curious Quilter
    (and Suzanne's Brown Bag partner)

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...