Monday, February 28, 2011

Remembering Our Senior Citizens: One Fine Blessing

You know the expression that one thing leads to another? Well, that seems to be true in a project I have decided to expand upon. My friend's mom started this endeavor a while back through facebook and I have really enjoyed it. Most of you know Georgie from Decisionally Challenged.....her mom is as sweet as she can be and a heart as wide as the Oklahoma skies, where she happens to be from. She post on facebook months when there is a senior citizen having a birthday and asks for cards to be sent along with a dollar bill.


The concept is very simple. Mail a Birthday card and a dollar bill for a Senior who is having a birthday for that month. Since most are over 70 years old, it is my goal that they at least receive a dollar and a card for each year of their life. How fun and special this will be, and certainly make their day. What a great way to let them know someone is thinking about them and they are important!


For so many seniors, the mail is a bright spot of their day. I am afraid that in our country today, our seniors are often forgotten. Some maybe live far from their own families and spend all the last days of their lives alone, feeling isolated and forgotten. It is a sad thing to think about, but it happens most times than not. Not only that, we all know how hard times are for this country and everyone right now. Just think no matter how hard we feel like we have it, some senior citizens have it harder than we can imagine.

So with my friend's permission and approval, I'd like to announce this project that I am excited about. "One Fine Blessing" This is a project blessing not only senior citizens in our lives, but I can tell you from experience, you will be blessed as well.

I am still working out all the details on this, and you will find a link on my sidebar once I have it all up and running. My plan is to have a calendar to track the birthdays. I have set up a special email for this project alone.

1) If you want to participate in this, just email me at onefineblessing (at) yahoo (dot) com and I will add you to the mailing list.
2) Feel free to email me any senior you would loved to add to the list. You will need to include their name, address and age along with the date of their birthday.
3) At the end of the Month, I will email all participates a list of Birthdays for the upcoming month. You can either chose one or all to send a card to along with your well wishes and if you can include a dollar, that is great.

One Fine Blessing came about with the idea of blessing one senior at a time with a birthday card and one dollar bill. "Fine" is part of my friend's last name, and it is a fine thing to be a blessing to one senior citizen at a time. I know we are all so busy, and I know myself that I try and do for others but time is always an issue. This is a small project that takes very little time to do and the impact really makes a difference one person at a time.

So many of you have emailed me from my post First, Fifth, Forever, a letter writing project, and this sorta will tie along with that project too. 

Be patient while I still iron out the details on setting this up. I will try and keep it simple. 

If you'd like to send a card this week, there is a special lady in Oklahoma who will be 89 years old on March 6th. Just email me at onefineblessing (at) yahoo (dot) com saying  you'd like to join in with me, and I will email you her address. By the end of the week, I should have a few more for the month of March. I will have it down eventually to only one email a month with a list.

Thank you friends, for embracing this project, because I am sure so many of you will love this idea. Please watch my post First, Fifth, Forever at the end of the week for more details, and a peek at how this project has touched seniors already. You will love it! Trust me.

14 comments:

  1. What an amazing idea. I think this is a grand idea and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea and I would love to be part of it. Email the list when you get it together. I can't promise I can do all of them all of the time, but I believe that every little thing we do for others combines to be a great blessing, if we all do what we can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a nice idea. I love getting cards in the mail. i hope when I am older that someone thinks of me. This is a GREAT idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! I will look forward to your post when you get this all arranged. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish that all seniors had this kind of support. Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Suzanne,

    This may be the best time to be a senior!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Suzanne,

    What a wonderful idea. I look forward to learning more about it. I think, along with a dollar, I might slip in a couple of tea bags.

    I wanted to let you know that I did a prayer request post today and featured Princess Reagan in it along with Marty and Lady Katherine.

    God bless,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please keep me posted. I would love to participate in this. what a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzanne you are amazing and a Fine Blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being a senior myself (75) I am so blessed with what I have received over the years and continue to that I think this is just a wonderful project which I would love to join in and write to those who are of my age.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad you posted this! I had no idea and want to be part of it. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Count me in! I just e-mailed you. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Count me in.. I'm so glad you are giving us an opportunity to bring some joy to a senior ( I am one myself) I will be e-mailing you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope it's not too late for you to put my name on this list. I would find great happiness to be able to participate. Thanks!

    hugZ,
    annie
    anniesrubyslipperz.com

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...