Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Vintage Thingie Thursday: When Vintage Comes Knocking At The Door

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a "dog-gone" good time each and every week!!!
If you are new to this party, please take the time to
read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. Please only ONE link per week. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies being showed that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much.

Yes, if you are wondering about the title of this post....it really does happen.....come knocking at the door that is. You see, I have a neighbor who shall we say, in all the 20 something years I have known him has maybe worked a total of 6 months during that time frame. He lives in his grandparents house (who were marvelous neighbors while they were still with us) mainly because his mother who lives in Florida, would rather him be here instead of Florida. He lives there for free, all bills paid and does basically nothing.

 A couple of weekends ago, he had a "garage sale" which was just basically a bunch of junk.....in fact, I had given him two large garbage sacks of stuff I was going to donate and let him have it to sell. As expected, not too many things he had out to sell actually sold, most of my stuff did sell however. This past weekend was the 3rd weekend in a row he set up shop in the front yard and I am guessing he sold nothing.......thus the knock at my door Sunday afternoon.

I looked out the window, and saw him standing at the door with two sacks in hand....I reluctantly opened the door to see what he wanted. I was sure he wanted to borrow some money and just hate it when he does that. He had two sacks in his hand and asked what I thought this stuff was worth.....( In other words, did I want to buy them ) I asked him where he got them, and he said he found them in a cabinet at the house.....the grandparents house, so I am sure this must have belonged to his grandmother or possibly his great grandmother. He holds no attachment to any thing he owns. So sad.

These were dirty, and grimy and I am sure they had not seen the light of day in many, many years. I told him I had no idea what they would be worth and was he selling them? He could not get his asking price out of his mouth fast enough..."Ten bucks"......I told him I did not know if I had $10.00 on me, let me go see. I did, and he gave me the items and grabbed the 10 one dollar bills and took off happy as could be.

Immediately, I went and ran a sink full of hot soapy water and sprayed them with a degreaser agent to clean them up. This cake plate is super heavy, I asked him did he not have the lid for it and he acted like he had no clue what I was even talking about, which I am sure he did not. But on careful inspection, I don't think this ever had a cover, it stands 6 1/2 inches tall and is smaller than the ones they sell today, I feel sure this is several years old.

This was the piece that really caught my eye. It looked to be a serving plate of some kind, I told my husband I felt like it maybe dated back to the 30's or 40's due to the thickness of the glass and the design. I really loved this piece, it is trimmed in gold and for the most part, it is in excellent condition. I felt like this was worth the $10.00 I paid alone. I really loved it, and it cleaned up to look like new.

Upon searching online, I learned that this is a cookie or pastry server and they date from the 1920's and 1930's. I found some that were similar to mine, but not as detailed as this one is. These were used to serve cookies or pastries along with tea to guest who stopped by for an afternoon tea and a visit. Since I have no idea the maker, or the brand I really could not put a value on this piece, but I love it and will treasure it thinking it might have belonged to my sweet neighbor who was a wonderful little lady.

Here is a closeup of the handle, that is what made me think it was rather old. Very detailed and ornate. I just love it! So yes my friends...Vintage does have a way of finding me when I really am not looking for it! Got to love that!!

Have a great weekend and enjoy this great fall weather! See you next week!!


30 comments:

  1. Beautiful pastry server! It makes you more likely to open your door to him the next time he comes knocking with a bag in hand! Thanks for hosting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story, especially because someone who knew his grandmother can appreciate some of her beautiful things. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great deal you got for $10.00 and who knows what he would have done with it if you hadn't bought it. I looked at something almost identical to that pastry server today at the thrift store and I had no idea what it was used for. Now I know - thanks!

    I'll come back tomorrow morning to join the party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that cookie dish. Well worth your $10! How nice that you can appreciate something that was probably him Grandmothers! I have a much smaller server like that in cobalt depression glass and I love it The cake stand looks pretty cool also. I wish someone would knock on my door with a treasure like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is one of those "that the cheese has slipped off his cracker". No telling what he has sold or given away that was really worth something. At least, I believe you got your moneys worth from his trash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the cookie/pastry server looks really nice and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Suzanne, I had to laugh at your description of your neighbor! The pieces you bought are wonderful. My mother had a similar server at one time and now I am wondering what happened to it.
    Thanks for hosting.
    xoxo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad at least you have sentimental value for the dishes that used to belong to his grandmaother. Just gorgeous!! Great price too
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed your story! My home is probably considered more traditional, but I love vintage pieces mixed in...especially when they have a story as your pieces do! Thanks for sharing! I posted an old farm door that is so heavy, I have to get help to pick it up...just don't make things the way they used to! I guess I could have snagged your title with 'if someone comes knocking to give you an old door...!" Christie at Three Pixie Lane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Suzanne, I wouldn't mind that kind of vintage knocking at my door! I usually have to go searching for it. ;)

    I would love to have you join me for my Time Travel party with your pieces of antiquity.

    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW they are GORGEOUS, Suzanne! now wouldn't they go nicely with my tea bag holders and my crochet tea cloth ?:)x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful find. It was meant to have a new caring and loving home. It will be cherished there. Thanks for sharing this lovely vintage thingie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful handled cookie plate and pedestal cake plate!! I think you got the better end of the deal, for sure! Those could not have landed in the hands of a more appreciative person!
    It is truly sad that your young neighbor doesn't seem to have any direction in his life. And It makes me teary eyed to think how many people out there don't have a family who cares about them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story. Hate to hear of a G'son bummin' around for free. But, happy for ya that you got something for your $10..vintage treasure for sure. Miss ya when I can't post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow - those pieces are gorgeous! what an amazing deal!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a pretty plate...good for you :)

    HaPpY vInTaGe ThInGiE tHuRsDaY!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Suzanne ~ that pastry server is precious!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are so great Suzanne! Enjoy!

    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my Suzanne what beautiful treasures! I am so glad you were there to take them and cherish them. Maybe you need to get to know the man better? Who knows the treasures that home holds. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  20. What wonderful pieces! I just love the cookie tray. I'm glad they went to someone who will appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful "finds", only this time they found you rather than you finding them! The pastry server looks alot like a Fostoria one I saw years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love things like this....how lucky you are to have them. Everything looks yummy on serving pieces like these.
    Thank you for hosting VTT!
    gail
    adventuresininnkeeping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Suzanne, sorry to be late linking up today.
    What a cute story to go with your new cake plates. I'm certain you wil enjoy using both of these pieces.
    Thanks for hosting each week. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great story! I am in love with that cookie server! I've missed VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I lost my comment somewhere. I enjoyed seeing your pictures and reading the story. Thank you for hosting VTT. Doylene

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome Suzanne. I wish somebody would knock on my door with vintage treasures. Your neighbor is living the good life. Comfort without having to pay for it. Probably the result of too much pampering as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  27. And I am sure his Grandmother would be happy to know that some of her beloved treasures where safely in the hands of someone who will cherish them. The cookie tray is stunning.
    Hope you have a great weekend. I am going to search and see if I have any cotton material in my stash.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  28. Who knows what else is in those bags?? This is a fabulous plate.
    looking forward to joining in next week.z
    Blessings,
    Pam
    @ http://breathoffreshair-paperbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...