Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Vintage Thingie Thursday: A Family Treasure - Vintage Santa

If you are new to this party, please take the time to read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so  please make sure you follow the instructions.  Please only ONE link per week. 

One of  my favorite Christmas decorations is a vintage Santa Clause that belongs to my husband. He has had this for as long as we have been married.....even before that. It is a favorite family treasure.

My mother in law painted this sweet Santa when my husband was small. He is adorned with some red glitter, which is amazing that there is still a bit of glitter in his suit after all this time. My mother in law passed away in 2003, and although this has always been a holiday favorite, it most certainly is a family treasure now.

I think he has a most amazingly detailed face, love his beard and his all knowing eyes.

Just look at that big ole round belly. He stands about 10 inches tall, and I have always marveled at his big ole belly....so adorable to me!

I have been in a lot of antique malls, estate and garage sales and I have never seen one like this in all my treasure hunting, and I surely would have noticed had there been one. This Santa is a plaster of paris type material and luckily it is still in great condition.

(I showed you this pic last week) But thought I'd show you how he proudly sits in my china cabinet this year....I think he looks grand!! He holds lots of memories for our family, especially my husband. He is a real treasure and loved and well cared for.

Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday!!! Have a great week!!



21 comments:

  1. Your Santa is a treasure, Suzanne. I agree that he's quite charming. To me, these family keepsakes make the holidays so special. I cannot imagine a home only filled with new, made in China, decorations that have no meaning or history. Thanks for sharing and for hosting.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suzanne ~ he is a wonderful Santa. He is adorable and he is a family treasure. As you, I find that the Christmas decorations with a family history are the ones I treasure the most! Thanks for hosting!!

    Big Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the times I have been there around the holidays, my eyes passed right over this grand old fellow. (Probably did not see as was trying keeping the other children quiet). I can readily see why he is a forever treasure filled with many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Suzanne Thank You for sharing your mothers Santa with us. He is too cute and a wonderful treasure....Julian

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always nice to bring out special, sentimental things at Christmas. That Santa is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet holiday treasure for your entire family; I've never seen one like him. The big ol' belly is just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love the Santa and the vignette with the crocheted lace. Thanks for hostessing the party!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous Santa! He sure is proud to be in your gorgeous vignette ♥
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special Santa. I think family treasures like that are the most special of all. He is really a cute Santa also! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. That surely is a special guy - he must have been well taken care of - he looks to be in great shape!!! Merry Christmas to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think he is lovely,I collect Santa's but have never seen one like yours before either. Merry Christmas. x jeanetteann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning! I don't have anything vintage to link up today. My last project was creating a Family Board Game. I just wanted to say hi and see what you were up to!
    Here's the link if you want to make your own Family Board Game.
    http://www.potholesandpantyhose.com/2011/12/diy-family-board-game/
    Thanks for hosting another party. Wish I could be a part!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Santa is the perfect Santa that we all remember and he's special for the memories he holds! Looks like he gets a place of honor...as he deserves! I love your beautiful decorations! Happy holidays! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your Santa! So cute! My photos of my mantle didn't come out...will have to try again. Sigh....
    Cheers!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for hosting Vintage Thingie Thursday. Always enjoy visiting.
    -Joy

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a very special treasure. Your Santa is precious. Thank you for hosting another Vintage Thingie Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Suzanne, I have been getting my Christmas packages ready to mail today and I just remembered I didn't leave you a comment when I linked last night.
    The darling Santa that belonged to your hubs is so cute. Christmas family treasures are the best.

    Wishing you and yours much joy as the Christmas fun progresses.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that Santa! I have lots of vintage things, but not as much vintage Christmas that I recall. There is so much that is in storage! I need to do just a little bit of thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hubby's old Santa is so cute

    sorry i missed the secret santa exchange I love doing that

    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an adorable Santa! I can see why you treasure him, so. Thanks so much so hosting, and we welcome you to link up to our "What's It Wednesday" Linky party as well. We'd love to have you share.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  21. He's wonderful! I love the big belly too--have you measured how big around he is? lol. NONE of us need that treatment coming up to this time of year! :)
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...