Thursday, November 13, 2008

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Guest Writer #2

Welcome back to Vintage Thingie Thursday. I want to remind you that this month's post are a little different. Each week I am having a guest writer, whom I am most thankful for to showcase their vintage treasures. Let me introduce you this week to my Aunt Joyce. My Aunt Joyce is a treasure all by herself. I hope you enjoy her post about all the things near and dear to her heart.

Words according to my Aunt Joyce:

I could take hundred's of pictures in this house and still not have all my treasures to show you. Everything in my house has a meaning to me and are my treasures. I have no special kind of decorations or any special furniture. My house is decorated "Pure Joyce". My daughter calls it a museum. I guarantee you , you will see something different each time you walk around.


This dress is very special to me. My dear mother made this for me to wear square dancing. This was made back in the 1950's and was the last thing she made for me.

This is the sewing machine my mother used to make the dress. This machine was purchased in the 1930's or early 1940's.

Now these two items are really special. My mother got them for wedding gifts back in the 1920's. The blue and white one is called a spoon holder. The little bowl was my favorite when I was a little girl. I always got to eat my oatmeal out of it.

This is my collection of Birthday Cups given to me by my special older sister, LaVoice. They made wonderful birthday and Christmas gifts until I got them all.

This beautiful jacket was painted by my special, younger, red-haired sister, Patsy. Think back to the 1980's when this was painted. I still wear it and get so many compliments when I do. One lady ran up to me and wanted it - she said she loved chickens too!

Some of my other favorite things in life - my chickens. The hen & rooster on the middle shelf are named Henny & Penny. Patsy and I raised the real ones from baby chicks to grown up. They lived to be quiet old and when they died, I cried like a baby. I was grown and married when they died and lived in Memphis. When I got the letter from mother telling me they died I broke into tears. My mother-in-law thought a family member had died. When I finally stopped crying and told her it was my chicken, she knew right then her son had married a NUT.

This is the outfit we brought our sweet baby girl home in from the hospital and her first baby doll. This was in 1966. In 1988, our sweet daughter brought her daughter home in it. I have it put away so if our grand daughter ever has a little girl, hopefully she will bring her home in it as well.

This bear is really a special baby from my childhood. I think I was 3 or 4 years old when I got him, and I am now 77 years old. He is a treasure and is still with me. He lives in the big jar now so he will stay safe and preserved.

Another look at my babies. This room is called the "Bear Room". I love them all.

Another look at my babies in the Bear Room. Each one is special to me in one way or another.

This coffee table belonged to my husband Hank's mom. She got it in the 1960's.

These solid brass pieces were brought home to the states by Hank's dad. He purchased these when he served in World War II and was in India.

I want to say, "Thank You" to my sweet Aunt Joyce for taking the time to send me photos of her favorite treasures in life and offering a little history about each item that is special to her. I hope you enjoyed a peek into the life of this unique collector who treasures many things. She is a gal after our own hearts!

Please visit Confessions of an Apron Queen to see other great vintage items today.

30 comments:

  1. Oh, how fun this was! What a bunch of cute bears!!

    How special your dear aunt was so sweet to take the time to entertain us all.

    Love the part about crying over her chicken....made me laugh....but not in a bad way. Love this post this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and thanks to your aunt for sharing with us. Loved the chicken and teddy bear collections and the square dance dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this !!! her whole life is a story unique to us all---good job!!!! Many treasures and memories in her house.She's a treasure herself-(I am the youger sister---I know first hand!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned to sew on a Singer treadle just like your aunt's. She's a sweet, sentimental lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rest assured, this lady is one of kind. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes, I really enjoyed seeing these treasures...reminds me of my own house with so many stories about the things in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your aunt is a lovely lady and I enjoyed seeing all her treasured keepsakes. I especially love the outfit she brought her daughter home in - what a priceless gift to pass along to future generations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so many things I've seen in my own family houses! Thank your Aunt for us for the tour!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please thank your Aunt Joyce for me. I enjoyed admiring all her precious things and hearing about each of them. I am impressed with how you are using your blog to preserve these wonderful memories. Fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked this post. What fun treasures! I love all the memories that go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! So much to comment on! I hope I can remember everything I want to say! lol. That square dance dress is wonderful. And baby's first outfit and doll baby are really sweet. I am totally envious of the orange bowl ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! Thank her for sharing all these treasures with us.

    I love that sewing machine. It looks well-preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED every single one of your treasures-Thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That little bear is priceless. Just like a special aunt. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chickens and bears in abundance here. Wow. What fun. That looks like an old Singer sewing machine. The square dance dress is precious and a lovely remembrance of your mother. You should preserve it in a special box--like they do for wedding dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute story to go with the chickens. Loved it. Thanks Aunt Joyce for a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Followed your link for Sky Watch Friday and those photos are fantastic but got distracted with all the other good things you have going on in your blog space. How cool to host a give away as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Aunt Joyce forgot her vintage husband

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you aunt Joyce for such a wonderful tour. You have many wonderful treasures. I love that treadle sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aunt Joyce you're a TREASURE...i love my chickens too & i know how you felt :( the way i'm going i think my house will soon look like yours & that's ok with me lol!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just have to say I grew up sewing on a sewing machine just like the one in this post! My mom passed away in 1996 and it is still at the home place...sadly it looks worse and worse as the years go by. I should have brought it home with me right after the funeral but I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  22. you have some great finds there! I love the tea cups and the sewing machine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love visiting with your Aunt Joyce. She is definiltey treasure herself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this post! The teeny teddy bear and the sewing machine are my favorite -things- but having your Aunt Joyce tell about everything was the best part of the post!

    I like your new blog look, by the way =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. beautiful momentos! my mom had a sewing machine exactly like your moms and it is now at home at my sisters house. And it still works like a charm.

    family treasures are some of my favorite things. thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What beautiful pieces. I love things like this. The dress my daughter wore home from the hospital in 1982 is the same one *her* daughter wore home from the hospital in 2006. And when my granddaughter was born, I sent flowers to my daughter at the hospital in a 1951 container that someone had sent to *my* mom when she gave birth to me. I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tell Aunt Joyce that she is a gem
    for letting us see all her treasures!
    I loved the 12 month teacups!!!
    And the crying chicken story and
    the awesome dress! It would be neat
    to see the dress on someone with the
    big crinoline underneath!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How I wish I could sit for a spell and sip some coffee in this cute "museum" of a charming home. Cheers to Aunt Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What wonderful treasures. I learned to sew on a sewing machine like the one you pictured. I square danced in the 50s too. A skirt I made in sewing class was chosen for a square dance in an assembly, so I got to wear in and dance on the stage in front of the whole school. That was in the 8th grade. What fun.
    I just found out you will be hosting Vintage Thingies Thursdays. I'm glad you're doing that. It would be a shame for it to die.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved seeing all these great vintage items!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...