Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday: A Bit of Green for the Irish

Hello Everyone! Welcome to this weeks segment of Vintage Thingies Thursday.

Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone.

If you are visiting and would like to join us, please do. It is very easy!
All you have to do is:
(1) do a post about something vintage.
(2) Visit all the participates and leave a comment.
(3) Link in with the Mr. Linky at the bottom of this post.
(4) Be sure to refer back to my blog so everyone can see who is participating today, and if you like include the VTT button in your post. Please be sure to have your post up before linking in. Thanks so much.

Since St. Patrick's Day is next Tuesday, I thought I'd make this week my week to show some of those treasures with green......just for luck's sake mind you.


And could we not all use a little luck these days??? Here are a few of my favorite treasures I wanted to share with you today. The little tin is from my kitchen and I could say it is vintage..but it is not, maybe I could say it is a vintage reproduction, but then again, it most likely is not. But I had to include it in the post...it just goes...I mean with the Shamrock and all!

This adorable little bowl was purchased at my child's Catholic School Rummage Sale several years ago. I paid .50 cents for it. I am really sorry I did not buy more than just this one, someone had donated loads of pottery and in my younger days, I did not feel the need to "have" tons of stuff....today....well, not so much. This is stamped "Jackson Vitrified China, Falls Creek, Pa" The vintage Hankie is chiffon with flocked clovers all over it. This is really old according to the lady who was peddling junk in her yard a few weeks ago at a tag sale. I paid $1.00 for it, and I really do like it....and I believe it is vintage. I did a little research on chiffon hankies and they do indeed date back to the 40's.

Now, I know you remember how I collect platters, Is this not a pretty little stack of green rimmed platters???

The platter sitting on the stand is one of my favorites. This one is stamped "Sterling Verified China" Liverpool USA. I just love the detailed rim of this platter. The cute little platter in the front was an estate sale find about three weeks ago. This is stamped "Buffalo China" made in the USA.

Would you like to hear a funny story??? Good. I hope you smile or at least appreciate the fact that possibly your mind is not as far gone as mine. I was at said Estate sale and this place was small...so small that I felt trapped like a rat with about 100 people crowding in such a small place. Well, they had 5 of these platters and I wanted one. I debated on carrying one around, or getting it on my way out. Well, I picked up several things and stood in line forever to pay, my arms were killing me, my back was killing me and my legs were killing me with everyone bumping into me. I paid for my purchases, not really paying attention because so much was going on. I got to my car, and realized I did not get the platter. Dang. So what do I do? March back in there, to purchase the platter. Paid. Left. Well, guess what? I got home and unwrapped my finds for the day...and believe me when I say I really must have fell in love with this platter because after I unwrapped everything, I discovered I now was the proud owner of TWO of these beauties. That is what you call shopping without a clue....or memory... one or the other. So, I have two of these.

Here is a close-up of two other platters. The one on the left really is lovely, I love the detail on the rim. This is stamped "H&C Selb Bavaria", Heinrich & Co. The platter on the right, is a smaller platter and it is stamped "Walker China".

See this platter resting on the plate stand? This is rather new to my collection and it is really one of my favorite finds. The detail is just wonderful, and of all my platters, I paid the most for this one. Now, I can not reveal what I paid for this little treasure, because my husband does read this blog, but let me just say, I never pay as much as I paid for this platter for anything I usually buy....remember, I am cheap. But the green and the detailed white rim really called out to me and, I could not resist this one. This is stamped "Harker Ware Pottery Est. 1340"

These two pieces are not the same, but they do sorta match, right? Vintage goodness!

I want to wish everyone a little bowl of good luck for the St. Patty's day next week. Have a great week everyone! Be sure to link in and show us your wonderful treasures.

Oh, and for all of you lovely ladies who wanted the recipe for cleaning vintage linens...I posted that on Monday, just in case you missed it.

31 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I have anything vintage. Actual vintage. I'll have to look around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your platers and plates, but I want that cute little hankie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your St. Patrick Day greens. I also collect platters, but I especially love the hanky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the beautiful green dishes, and tin..but I so want little hankie. :). Happy VTT and have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really do dig what you found, what awesome buys :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The older I get, the better I like green. Love you platters, but I'm partial to bowls. Loved your story of the estate sale. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice collection today!
    Love all the greens, and that hankie is lovely! Don't you just love old restaurant pieces? They're so heavy and seem to last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet hankie..love the last 2 platters, verrry nice. Hahaha had to chuckle, i've come home with same stuff too!! Happy St Pat's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these platters. Can I come estate sale shopping with you?! That would have been me forgetting what I paid for. Lucky someone else didn't buy it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hankie is so pretty, I love shamrocks. What great finds, it is so fun when you find things you love
    and use for great prices!
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the green! I want the extra platter you bought and the hankie please.

    I'll be linking up later tomorrow. I am always running behind :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one large collection of platters! I absolutely love the hankie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, lovely platters. I really like the little hanky too. (Husbands don't need to know everything - it's good to keep a bit of mystery about oneself, even if it is how much you paid for something!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely platters...that dark green one with the white is so unusual, no wonder you couldn't resist.

    How totally elegant, a chiffon hankie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That hankie is wonderful! I think of the platters the "Buffalo China" one is my favorite. The pattern on it is really appealing to me =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I should have done something Irish or green... maybe next week!
    You have a large collection, will you make Irish stew? I think We'll have lamb shanks for St.Paddy's!
    Roslyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all your vintage items, Suzanne! I, especially, love your story about how you came to be the owner of the two platters! Way to go! :) All of it is perfect for St. Paddie's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your "collection of platters and plates!" Lol about your story on the estate sale,I have been to those type of sales...where you felt you were part of a cattle herd...but you truly rounded up some great treasures! I have a few serving bowls that were my grandmas...and we use them everyday! Love your St. Patty post...Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LUV all the Green! But that lil' delicate chiffon handkerchief is PRICELESSLY BEAUTIFUL! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are the Platter Queen! I love the shamrock hankie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful green thingies! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your post! A fun read. That hankie is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This reminded my - I need to get to the grocery store and buy some corned beef and cabbage!

    Loved the hankie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My brain/memory acts up, too. Cute story, though. I love the hankie.

    Maybe I will post a couple of platters I picked up for like 50 cents or something many, many years ago at some random yard sale.

    Maybe you can clue me in on them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great Green Vintage Post!

    I sure know that...in the past...I wasn't really interested but not so much now. I have given away whole sets of dishes and serving pieces, silverware and crystal because that wasn't where I was at that time. I think it is just the way life is. But I love dearly everything that still lives in my home.

    Have a Terrific Thursday
    from A Raggedy Roberta Anne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the green St.Pat's day collection. The platters are really awesome-great collection!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoyed viewing your gorgeous platters and delicate little hanky. Loved your story about how you acquired the 2 platters!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love that hanky, and all of your platters are so pretty. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Suzanne, it was meant for you to have two lovely platters! Thanks for sharing that story and for sharing your green!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have a bowl like that! I ate chicken soup from it just this evening. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for hosting another wonderful Vintage Thingies Thursday.. I love your dishes and also your hankie.. have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...