Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday and A Contest

Hello Everyone! Welcome to this weeks segment of Vintage Thingies Thursday.

Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone.

If you are visiting and would like to join us, please do. It is very easy!
All you have to do is:
(1) do a post about something vintage.
(2) Visit all the participates and leave a comment.
(3) Link in with the Mr. Linky at the bottom of this post, please use a perma-link to link in with, that way, anyone can refer back to your post if they can not get to it on Thursday.
(4) Be sure to refer back to my blog so everyone can see who is participating today, and if you like include the VTT button in your post. Please be sure to have your post up before linking in. Thanks so much.

The Quilt festival going on over at Park City Girl's blog this week has had me thinking about quilts non-stop. I posted about my a favorite quilt of mine on the below post if you would like to take a look at that one.

Anyway, with all the quilts on display, naturally I decided to show my vintage estate sale find quilt today. I found this recently at a local estate sale. I have loved this pattern forever, but never have I come across a quilt with this design that I could afford. Imagine my delight at discovering the price tag on this wonderful quilt was only $20.00. Pure excitement was more like it! I snatched this baby up and held onto it for dear life until I got to the check out!

This lovely old quilt has some wonderful fabrics used in the piece work. It was a beautiful sunny day yesterday when I decided to take some pictures of my quilt. I took it outdoors and placed it in the grass for the photos. I think it showcases the colors that are in the fabrics so much better than being indoors.

Just look at the cute little houses, they are so cute. I like how striped fabric was used for the houses themselves, with a floral or another pattern for the rooftops.

I love the color combination of these blocks. If the person who pieced this quilt together had stayed with this color combination, this would have been the cutest "Christmas Houses" quilt ever. The colors just scream Christmas time to me!

This is the back side, and the binding on the quilt. It is hand pieced and quilted. A true treasure.

There are a few imperfections in this quilt, with a few worn spots here and there. Does it bother me? No, not in the least. I really am not big on perfection in things I love...just charm.

And on this sunny day here in Ft. Worth, there was plenty of smiles happening as I looked lovingly at my new quilt and photographing all the cute little houses pieced together......speaking of sun....speaking of sunny days....speaking of.....well this......

This photo needs a name.......go ahead....give it your best shot!

While I was busy taking a picture or two of my quilt in my backyard on the soft cool grass, Sophie decided to take in a little sun herself. This is what I saw when I turned around and looked towards the patio. Mind you, she did not chose to lay on the quilt...which I am sure would have been fine...but no, I found her like this on the patio. And I need a name for this photo.

Come on....don't be shy, give it your best shot! Just leave your entry for my Name this Photo Contest with your comment to this post to be entered! Oh...I almost forgot about telling you what the prize is for coming up with the most suited name for the photo.

The winner will receive a 1-year subscription to Family Circle Magazine. I can not wait to see what you all come up with for best describing all this photo is...or is not.
Good Luck!

Thank you for stopping by for Vintage Thingie Thursday! Please visit everyone participating and look at all the wonderful vintage treasures! If you have something you would like to share, just link in below...we would love to have you.

51 comments:

  1. Very pretty quilt!
    And I love Sophie, she's adorable.
    As for a name for the photo...how about "*Ding* Time to Turn Over!"
    I love your blog and like to see what new things you have for me to covet.
    Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. My caption is "Bless the sunshine." Your quilt find is absolutely terrific. I have always wanted to make a house quilt, but since I must have almost 50 UFOs I think it's time to work on those first. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quilt, Suzanne! I love your doxie even more! :) Now, for a caption for your photo, how about...

    "It's been a hard day's night!"
    "Soaking up the rays."
    "Ain't nothing but a hound dog, sleepin' all the time."

    I'll keep thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My comment on your sweet doxie photo:

    "A long day into night"

    From Becky and Rusty, another sleepy dachshund i

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about "It's just a Texas state of mine"
    She looks so comfortable and the quilt is just perfect. I really envey you finding that quilt, I've never been lucky enough to find one that cheap in that good of shape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Quilt and I AM JEALOUS, I haven't found any good stuff lately. :( As for a name for the photo how 'bout "IT's a DOG'S LIFE" LOL. that is about what it is too, looks like she has a pretty rough life. :) I do like it's a texas state of mind too.
    My Computer is back, up and running so check out my stuff too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really admire people who can sew lovely quilts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to say what a bargain you got on the pretty quilt. My Australian quilting blog friends make these cute house quilts and I admire them so. Our older doxie loves the sun too! How about "Hot Dog!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love house quilts, and always thought I would make one; but haven't!! Cute puppy!!! I'm not good at making up titles, so I'll let someone else win that great prize. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the quilts...my grandmother used to make these for us all the time.
    hope all is well.....and if I had to be anyone at this moment...I think I would like to be your puppy!
    "BASKING HOUND" would be my name for the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful find! Absolutely Beautiful! I sure wish I could find some good things like that. First I need to try to get somewhere to find a good deal! hehehe

    I really don't know how you are going to pick from those great titles! I am going to throw in the towel and not even give a title to it those are soo good! Not unless I can think of something cleaver after I close! lol
    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! $20 for that amazing quilt; I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOHH i love your quilt, Suzanne, it's one of my fav designs..what a bargain!!..i can just see you clutching it tight at the estate sale hehehe!!!..i hope i find some vintage quilts on my travels before you get to them lol :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Suzanne and Sophie.. I love your quilt, it's beautiful and what a great buy. As for a tittle for the picture..it would have to be.."I want a quilt, I want a quilt, I want a pillow..*sigh, oh well,this is just fine. (snore snore)"
    P.S. Did you get the doggie pattern..or did it get losted in mail?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love house blocks; you have yourself a wonderful quilt.
    And for Sophie's pic: Just Doggone Tired!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is a fantastic find and what a price...a steal actually!
    Sophie sure knows how to live it up...I like her style!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a pretty quilt. I'm amazed that it was only $20! No wonder you held onto it for dear life.
    Can't come up with anything witty for a picture title. (Roll over, ROLL OVER, ok, play dead; good dog) (Just Fetchin' Rays) laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt Suzanne! I love quilts but only have a couple.

    How about "Weiner Roast" for the photo :)

    Sophie looks just like Oscar in that picture! Except for the teats of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmmm, how about Dozing Doxie

    She is adorable and I want to send her some ear scratches and a belly rub for good measure.

    Love the quilt. It's totally fab!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The quilt if quite a fabulous find!
    Sophie is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Suzanne,
    Thanks for hosting.

    Blessings,
    Barbara Jean

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is one pretty quilt and what a bargain! I love it..thanks for hosting VTT and Happy VTT to you too! have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just heard about Vintage Thingies Thurday and thought that I would join in on the fun! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful quilt! I love the schoolhouse pattern and those houses are just charming!

    "Sophie's Tuckered out" - how's that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely quilt - and such a bargain price!!! I'm still thinking on a caption for your little dog - If I think of anything worthy, I'll post again! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just adore old quilts..

    The photo " It's a dogs life"

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful quilt. And $20! I'm bursting with envy!
    How about "Frank Weiner's Dog".

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the quilt and what a deal!! It is really super cool.

    as for picture title: some really good ones already, but here is my 2 cents worth

    Soaking up Da(ch) Sun(d)!

    I know....CORNY!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sunbather Sophie

    is the WINNING name!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your house quilt, the colors are gorgeous and the price was phenomenal!
    Little Miss Sophie is absolutely radiant! She resembles my iguana on her hotrock.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The quilt pattern is called Log Cabin". Hard to believe you can find any quilt for $20. Sophie is relaxing in a Texas tanning salon.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your quilt is so beautiful, thank you for sharing it.

    How about "Furry Sunbath"


    The Raggedy Girl--Roberta Anne

    ReplyDelete
  33. The quilt is lovely!! I haven't come across one yet that I could afford!! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just found Vintage Thingies Thursday today. It looks like fun.

    My photo caption is:
    "Hot Dog! Where's the bun?"

    ReplyDelete
  35. "Not tonight. I have a headache"
    Or how about
    "Wonder if I'll ever be as tan as Maggie?"

    that is my entry. =0)

    Blessings,
    Barbara Jean

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Suzanne!

    I love that quilt. It makes me really itch for a picnic right about now! Can't wait for full time WARMTH over here in New Jersey!

    As for Sophie, I'm going to go with "Portrait of a Lady" hehe. . . since she looks so shy all sprawled out there... ;) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your "bargain" quilt, Suzanne. Under the weather this week and having a hard time remembering my name, let alone coming up with something cute and clever. (Thus no VTT post for me this week.)

    Tummy rubs for Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the guilt. It's gorgeous. And $20 bucks. You stole it woman.

    As for Sophie how about "What weinerful sun".

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love the quilt. What a bargain.
    How about "Lazy Days In the Sun"
    Have a great VTT.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  40. I absolutely love your wiener dogs.
    How about I'm in doggie heaven or Don't wake me unless you have food or Sophie's Tuckered Out.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The quilt is precious! Your dog is so adorable. I have a dog like that...but she's black and her name is Bella! Have a wonderful Thursday..Julie

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful quilt! As for Sophie...she looks just like my son's family dog and with the same name....how sweet is that.
    blessings to all
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  43. Was great hearing from you this morning, loved your quilts, nothing sleeps better.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Here's another one.
    Miss April enjoys ear scratches, belly rubs, walks in the park and sunbathing...
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm always amazed at the beauty of quilts and the work that they entail. I'm not a quilter so I really admire those who do this kind of work.

    Sophie's beautiful!! How about: "Hot Dog Dazes" or "Sophie's snooze".

    ReplyDelete
  46. Only $20!! What a great deal you got. Ok, Sophie, "Just chillin' out"

    ReplyDelete
  47. I don't see "Just another dog day afternoon" mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Suzanne, that is just the neatest quilt and story. BUT you know I love the photo of Sophie the best. She is so happy and content. Dachshunds are just the best!!

    Don't know how you are going to choose from all those title suggestions. I thing they are all great! Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  49. What cute puppies! And love the quilt.

    Think I'll try Vintage Thursday next time. Looks like lots of fun.

    Have a wonderful weekend, Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  50. How darling! I can't wait until my husband zonks out tonight to spend more time on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I absolutely adore school house quilts, your version is FABULOUS! Love the way you patterned the stripes.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...