Monday, March 21, 2011

Design Wall Monday: National Quilting Day - Making Ends Meet

In celebration of National Quilting Day on Saturday, I joined in with Judy at Patchwork Times in making this quilt, "Making Ends Meet", she posted the tutorial for online in honor of this great day. I actually thought I'd be finished with my top by today, but...well....sometimes things just don't go as planned.

This pattern used 5 different fabrics, but I decided to take the scrappy way with this one, and used a lot of my re-purposed mens shirts that I have taken apart and saved for a quilt. I used the pinks, reds, blues, greens and creams. I omitted the yellow fabrics after I had taken this photo.

It took longer to cute the pieces for this quilt, as you can imagine, the shirts were not all perfectly in lengths, so that added a bit of time to the process. Along with that, if you notice that blue seam ripper on my machine, I used that a lot too.....just sayin.

Here are some of the blocks in progress on my design wall.

So today....this is what is on my design wall.....I still have lots of work to do, but I have made progress over the weekend.
And here is the middle of the top now finally on the design wall on Sunday night. I still have to make the six borders and sew the whole top together. It definitely is a scrappy quilt, the photos don't really show the pinks too well, but they look a little brighter than the photo shows.

I will use the borders Judy suggested in her quilt. I will have to make the large scrappy border too, but I think that really sets the whole quilt in a positive way. I can't decide how I like how this really busy top turned out. I saw someone's quilt who was doing this challenge too and it was done in blues and turquoise colors and I fell in love with that quilt, it was beautiful. So I have had a bit of trouble getting that one out of my mind.......but this scrappy gem is growing on me.......and the best thing of all........no cost involved here....I used what I had on hand. Re-purposed fabrics sorta like the days of yesterday.

You can visit Judy and  see more great projects and see what is on great quilter's design walls across the globe. It is inspiring to say the least.

29 comments:

  1. I love the stars coming out of the red sashing, will the borders come next? Beautiful!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygoodness...what a beautiful quilt.I am totally embrassed that I posted my humble 9 patch...and I didn't even know it was quilt day.:)
    LV told us that Monday is your birthday..
    HAPPIEST BIRTHDAY TO YOU...♫ ♪♫

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it!! Kudos for getting so much done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. quilt is coming along nicely. Hum, I may need someone else's scraps... yours looks fabulous... i'm so tired of mine! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I don't think it's too busy at all. Your color choice are fabulous. There's a lot of movement, a lot of contrast and it's just stunning. Actually I didn't care much for the pattern until I saw yours. Now I'm rethinking this one. I love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Suzanne, it looks great! We have been traveling last week, so I missed Judy's post. If you really are not in love with this quilt, finish it up and send it to Japan. I wrote a post about it on my blog today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this quilt. The colors are just perfect and I want to make it myself!! Great job and hope you fall in love with it as much as I have by the end of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt. Love your doggies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the scrappy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is going to be beautiful. I love the scrappy, busy look and it is fun to sleep under, too. A great thing to wake up to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, your quilt looks great, and so very different from Judy's! I love it and I'm anxious to see what more you've finished by next Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your version of this is beautiful! I like the colors, it is in the same family as one I am working on for my dd.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking good! I love the pinks and browns together and the blue is just the right spark!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The extra work made it extra nice. I picked your blog to look at first when I saw the thumbnail photo on Judy's site. Don't you just love having a featherweight. I inherited mine and it is a prized possession.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm making this one too and the seam ripper is a lot duller now. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great looking quilt. Love the recycled fabric! Happy Birthday. Thanks for coming by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Heavens - I LOVE that!!! Keep working I want to see it all done *grin* Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Suzanne, It's gorgeous! What a great idea to reuse the mens shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You work fast! I love how it turned out and the colors you chose. I might have to go back and do that one some day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my word girl...what a beautiful pattern...I so envy anyone who can quilt and create such beauty with their hands...you should be proud! Hope you are having a great week...Picket

    ReplyDelete
  21. I cannot see a thing wrong with it. I like the color combination. Only thing wrong it is yours and not mine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So beautiful! Bravo for using what you had on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this scrappy version! Looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Way cool. I love that pattern and what you've done with it. enjoy and take care. Lane

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...