Friday, April 15, 2011

Five Minute Friday: On Distance........

Today I'm linking up to Lisa-Jo aka the gypsy mama, who chooses a topic every Friday and writes for five minutes.

Only five minutes
And the rule is that whatever you write about in that five minutes is what you posts. No editing your thoughts. Today, her topic choice is " On Distance...."

Ready. Set. Go......


Distance is usually measured by time it takes to get to point A to Point B. Sometimes, it seems like that is all I think about, "How long it will take" for this and that. It is hard to just stop thinking that way and just "be" in the moment and not worry about the distance or time it takes to get there.

This topic brought to mind a monumental (for me) day coming soon. Our 25th wedding anniversary on the 4th of May. The distance fills up with all the things that have taken us to this point. Lots of growing that is for sure, lots of struggles you can be sure, lots of learning how to deal with the rough stuff life gives us.....and make it to this point in time. The distance part of it was not all bad, lots of good times too, but it is a mark in time that should seem like it took forever to get to, but really only was a blink of an eye.

I think we spend lots of time thinking about the distance in our lives and how long it seems to take to get to where we are going. When in reality, once we get there, or even get close to our destination we had in mind, we soon find out the destination really was not a long trip at all, but a short run to the corner store.
If you know what I mean.

Thinking back, for the last 25 years, that destination space we have traveled, from the outside looking in, appears to be one long trip in time to most, and a huge milestone for staying the course. For me, today, as I think about the distance we have traveled as a couple and family, honestly, it is like a short day trip.

I am not saying a remarkable milestone it is not, just when I look back, I see something much different than when I started this journey. Time is funny that way. We need to stop and give thanks for what we have today, not think about how long it will take us to get to where we think we want to be. I am so guilty of that, and need to work on it myself.....

times up........that was quick today!!!

7 comments:

  1. Wow-25 years. Congratulations!
    You are so right about the passage of time. I love your analogy of it being like a "short run to the corner store".
    Adulthood. Marriage. Kids. Empty nests. Kid's marriages. It passes so very quickly.
    You are right that we need to remember to stand in the present and give thanks for where we are and what we have and not focus so much on the next stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 25 years - congratulations! This post really spoke to me.

    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twenty five??? Good for you! We just celebrated our 17th... It's an elite club for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I know as a young woman I thought I'd never get there...wherever there was and now I'm wondering how it's going so fast. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hadn't heard of 5 Minute Fridays and gave it a whirl myself. Thanks, I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your sweet comments, Suzanne, about our sweet boy, Andy. Hope Sophie is doing okay. Yes, these sweet things give us unconditional love and its just a special grief process when we lose them. Doxies are just so special and laughingly, just so onery, at least ours are. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so involved about my lament about my Doxie, I failed to wish you congratulations on that fantastic 25 years. In todays society where people look for the easy out when things just don't work out, I commend you for traveling this road. No one said it was
    "gonna be" easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 25 years together!!! Congrats and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...