Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Crumb Along - Part One of Sewing

I told you yesterday about a crumb along Jo is hosting over at Jo's Country Junction. Every Tuesday is when new instructions on the block construction is posted and today was the first sewing part. I made three blocks.

Wouldn't you know it, the first thing right off the bat is flying geese blocks? The only flying geese blocks I have ever made were in my very first quilt and I have not attempted another since. Thing is....this time, they are not supposed to be straight! You'd think that would be no problem...but for the first 15 minutes...I kept thinking...this can not be right.

But....I remembered Jo saying there is no right or wrong so I just kept on sewing......but boy, do these geese look like they could use some help!

I trucked on and finally finished three. But would you get a look at those geese....ahem! There is a second part of this weeks instructions which is to make some more single geese blocks that I believe will be part of a star block next week....and would you believe the other block that is rather intimidating to me are STAR blocks!!! Nothing like starting off worried that I won't even finish parts one and two....but I plugged away.....hope they are right.....

Here is all three......I am using all scraps and crumbs, strings and pieces of left over blocks for this quilt....yes and I am sure it will be every bit as bright and bold as my last finish.......I think I am gonna like it!!!

Don't forget, it is not to late to join the fun......perfectionist personalities should be warned....it is a strain....but honestly, I may never go back to sewing a straight block or seam again!!

Jo has a link up HERE to take a peek at what other quilters have done with their first blocks.....be sure to take a look, should be fun!

22 comments:

  1. What are you fretting about? They are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the colors are great! So cheery. This looks like a beauty when completed. It will be fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like little wind blown pine trees! I like!!!! I haven't started yet but I plan on joining in tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look wonderful. Love the colors. Off to make mine after supper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These colors are very good! Don't worry, they are all quite fab! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so beautiful... you are very talented

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like 'em crooked! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to participate in this too, but just found out about it yesterday on your blog! Yours is looking great so far!

    ~Linnea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your blocks! They came out great!
    I had to do 30's prints as I am in process of moving across country this weekend and only have my midget fabrics and 30's prints for a quilt for my DS. Not much choice but I think it will work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks look so nice and cheerful. This is going be fun

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the heads up ~ looks like fun!

    hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are cute! What a fun way to use up scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute. No need to worry so much, there really is no way to mess up a crumb block.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely understand the "straight" thing....but I admire what you have achieved by trusting the process. Something that I will take back with me to ....try another version.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blocks look very nice and cheerful. Beautiful start ! XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are great blocks! With them being green they sort of look like pine trees to me... Maybe pine trees after a windstorm!! I completely get the whole, OMG they are crooked and I am going to cut off a point thing. I am being deliberate about being 'random' and at the same time I am carefully looking at color and shape and proportion so my "plan to be random" method may or may not be working out. I shall post my photos and let everyone else be the judge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are great...perfect! Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, you let your inner child out - good for you. Great start to your crumb quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your geese are flying so nicely! Thank you for telling about this Crumb along, I will join too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so envious of your wonky geese blocks. I'm still struggling with my...er...linear thinking (that sounds better than perfectionist). And the colours in your crumb bin make me wonder what fantastic fabrics you must have in your stash. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think you need to worry, your blocks look great. Try to relax and fun with it, your doing just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yours are so cheefully colorful! Mine are dark - I was using purple and black leftover triangles for the corners, and continued using dark strips for the rest of the block. I'm going to have to add some color on the next step!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...