Friday, September 23, 2011

Five Minute Friday: Growing.............

Today I'm linking up to Lisa-Jo aka the gypsy mama, who chooses a topic every Friday and writes for five minutes.

Only five minutes
And the rule is that whatever you write about in that five minutes is what you posts. No editing your thoughts. Today, her topic choice is "growing....."

Ready. Set. Go......

I have always thought that the sunshine brings growth. After all, that is when we are the most happy when things are going our way and we are not feeling heavy by burdens and worries. Even in the gardens this year as I watched early in the summer, the sunshine seemed to be aiding in all my flowers and vegetable to grow and reach skyward. Sunshine - happy times. However, after a summer full of sunshine, beating all that happiness and warmth down on my gardens, they did not thrive. I lost so many of my beautiful flowers that had an over abundance of sunshine and there was no growth at all. Funny, the plants reached a certain point, and they completely stopped growing..

And then after over 110 days...it rained. And you know what happened? For the first time in about three months, there was new growth in my garden. The flowers that had all but given up on growing  seemed to have new life brought to them and new growth and flowers sprung forth. Hope and beauty.

I thought of something I have never thought of before as I saw the prompt this morning from Lisa. We seem to be the most joyful when the sun is shining bright in our lives, when there is no grief or sadness. Of course, that is true, we are and I for one am always thankful for the sunshine times in my life. But I have learned in the deep part of our sorrow and pain during the rainy times that move into our lives, is when true growth will happen. During the downpour of rain, when you grieve for those you are losing, when you feel your darkest days, even if you are not aware of it, you are growing within yourself. Real growth does not come from the sunshine, but the rain.

I suppose the lesson in this for me is to be joyful during the rain, even if it is not easy to do because I am growing into a place that I can enjoy the sunshine all that much more. stop.

9 comments:

  1. A beautiful yellow flower. A Mum? So many pleasant thoughts. All of nature needs the rain and the sunshine. Growth is an amazing pattern of life.
    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always drawn to flower...beautiful post...yes...it takes a variety of environments for growth...both in the natural and spiritual...
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to find more sunshine. I have had too many dark clouds drifting around lately. Levi had to be put to sleep. Family out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree ... beautiful post! Thank you for your wise insights.
    BTW ... I love Dachshunds too! I have 3 and currently have 3 pups! What joy they are.
    Blessings,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat post! And that flower is lovely!!

    ~Linnea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzanne, EXCELLENT post! So true too, sunshine is essential in our lives, but nothing thrives without a little rain. I need to make a point of giving myself those five minutes on Fridays to join this! Just writing on a topic you’re given makes your creative brain think and it brings out so much. I felt good just reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all need sunshine. As a small child I loved the song "You Are My Sunshine" and my aunt use ot sing it to me and I sang it to my kids! I also loved the song "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands". I caught myself singing it to the dogs and cats one evening as they all climbing into our bed. They loved it! You write beautifully! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful post and so true! Habe a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...