Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Luscious Lemon Cake

Sunday was my mom's birthday, so a celebration was in order. Happy Birthday to my mom, so glad we were able to get everyone together for your Birthday celebration. Lunch was at my house, simple, easy lunch, nothing too extravagant, but lunch was served on these yummy vintage restaurant dishes and the table was set with a vintage tablecloth, vintage Homer Laughlin bowl and a vintage cut glass vase with fresh flowers (that my husband provided for the occasion, the flowers that is)....all Goodwill finds....don't you just love Goodwill? I certainly do. I have expensive tableware, but it is these types of goodies that I prefer to use, they make my heart sing.

That pretty blue floral plate is my favorite. I will have to show you a close up of this one VTT...soon. Same with the Homer Laughlin bowl, it is dated June of 1944. Has been well used, but still a beautiful bowl with character.

I made a great cake for my mom's birthday. My mom loves anything lemon flavor, and this cake proved to be a real hit with everyone...even my daughter liked this and she only likes vanilla and chocolate cake...so I am certain it is a keeper. Now, I will be up front with this...this is certainly not a low calorie dessert...but hey, it is OK to treat yourself at celebrations every now and again. Below is the recipe. I am sure this would be wonderful on a hot summer day, it is such a refreshing dessert and a great make ahead and take dessert.

Luscious Lemon Cake

Ingredients:

1 box lemon cake mix
2 cans (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 (12 oz) container whipped topping, thawed
1 cup sour cream
1 cup oil
4 eggs
box lemon instant pudding
1/2 cup plus 3 Tablespoons sprite or 7up

Directions:

Pour in a large bowl, cake mix, sour cream, oil, eggs, 1/2 package of lemon pudding mix, (reserve other half for glaze), sprite or 7 up. Mix according to mix directions. Pour into a 9X13 cake pan, bake according to instructions on cake mix box.

While cake is baking, mix the glaze. In a medium bowl, combine the 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk with the fresh lemon and remaining lemon pudding mix. Mix well. Once cake is done, remove from oven and poke several holes with a fork in the cake, pour half of the glaze over entire cake. (Reserve half of the glaze for the icing, set aside) Let cake cool completely before icing.

With the reserved lemon mixture, gently fold in the whipped topping, mix well. Ice the entire cake. Chill in refrigerator over night or can be made up to two days ahead. This is so much better the next day.

As the cake sits, all the flavors blend together and makes a wonderful and tasty cake. This is not as good if you make the same day you want to serve....trust me on this....it needs to be made ahead of time. And it is still moist, and very fresh tasting even the day after.

Have a great day and I hope you find this recipe a delight at your next event. It is perfect for a potluck or get together when you are short on time, want something to make ahead of time and just grab and go. I have a few new recipes to share in the coming days...you just never know what is cooking in The Colorado Lady's kitchen...but the one thing you can be sure of....whatever it is will be served on a vintage dish or two.

21 comments:

  1. OMG Suzanne, that lemon cake is sinfully delicious looking. I LOVE lemon cake. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your mom. I do love good Will and lately I have found the most wonderful things there. I too have fine china etc. but I enjoy the fun things you can find at a store like Good Will. My store knows me well. HA!

    Thank you for your sweet comment about my uncle. He was a blessing to our whole family.

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your Mom!!

    Yummy looking and sounding Lemon Cake, mmmm mmmm!

    Goodwill, Salvation Army, Deseret, hey any Thrift in a storm!! LOL
    Love 'em!!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely celebration you had!! And the cake looks absolutely scrumptious!

    We're known for living in the GoodWill House, and every room has its share of acquisitions from Thrift Stores.

    Oh, for a slice of that golden cake right now (and it's 6 a.m.!)

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Suzanne, ummmm...this sounds sooo good. I love anything lemon.
    I just copied it and will make it next family get together.

    I have missed visiting with you. It seems Blogland has grown so much, I stay lost from friends half the time...
    Come by when you can..
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just me again...I was just reading that you are starting a diet. Me, too..hubby and i have been on the South Beach Diet for a week. The first 2 weeks are the hardest since you can have NO flour so there goes my biscuits!! boo hoo...after 2 weeks, we can add whole wheat flour into our diets and THEN, by golly, I can have ONE biscuit with sugar free jelly. This diet is about fresh veggies, low protien, NO sugar but Splenda isn't half bad. Nothing white!! sugar, flour, potatoes, rice...etc.
    GOOD GOOD luck with your diet..
    hugs, bj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, this cake looks so delicious! Happy Birthday to your Mom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cake looks so moist and yummy! I am definitely trying this one! Thanks for sharing!
    LOVE your restaurant plates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure looks good! Happy Birthday to your mom!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not care what junk yard my plate came from, the plate did not hurt the taste of the cake. You can take my word for it, it is good. I am not a big sweet eater, but I woofed this down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was wonderful!!!! Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much----You are such a sweetheart----everyone needs a daughter like you!!!!! The cake is out of this world---I have already eaten all that I brought home and wish I had brought all of it home rather than a big piece----so,so good. Thanks again my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to your mom, Suzanne. I love the dishes!! I find it fun to use a nice mix like this...so vintagy!!

    lemon cake. Oh yum. I am definitely making this! Thanks for the recipe! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to your Mom! That cake looks devine!

    I am a total Goodwill-aholic. My find last weekend--a designer handbag that still lists on the makers website for $248.00...all for $2.25! Score!!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love lemon and this cake looks deeevine! Yes, to loving Goodwill but I have to drive more than 100 miles to get to one so don't visit often.
    Happy Birthday to your Mother, may she have many more in good health.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my!!! It's been far too long since I had some Lemon Cake! I think I gained 5 lbs. just looking at it! Happy Birthday to your sweet Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My birthday is coming up and I copied that recipe and suggested to hubby that we make it together for that day! Looks so yummy! And Happy Birthday to your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That cake looks SO luscious and delicious...yum!
    I too love old plates, and your collection is really nice~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like the Homer Laughlin Bowl I was born in 1944 also. I love the old restaurant ware and collect many pieces. I like to think of myself as "well used, but still a beautiful bowl with character." like you wrote.LOL!
    Copied the recipe and will bake it for a special occasion. Thanks.

    Happy Birthday to your MOM.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty lemony yummy cake! I thank you for the diet I received yesterday! Thanks much! Have a Happy Wedesday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds like a great cake!!!! Happy Birthday to your Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmmmmm. My mouth is watering - that cake looks DIVINE.

    I love Good Will for fun dishes. (I love Good Will for a lot of things, actually.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely decadent! Thanks so much for sharing...my daughter loves lemon.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...