Wednesday, January 20, 2010

VINTAGE THINGIES THURSDAY: Adorable Vintage Figurines

Welcome to this weeks segment of Vintage Thingies Thursday. Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone. If you are visiting and would like to join us, please do. It is very easy!
To participate, all you have to do is:

* * * * Please everyone, follow these guidelines!

(1) do a post about something vintage.
(2) Visit all the participates and leave a comment.
(3) Link in with the link at the bottom of this post, please use a perma-link to link in with, that way, anyone can refer back to your post if they can not get to it on Thursday.
(4) Be sure to refer back to my blog so everyone can see who is participating today, and if you like include the VTT button in your post. Please be sure to have your post up before linking in.

REMINDER:
We have several new friends linking in for Vintage Thingie Thursday. I want to remind everyone that the link for VTT goes up on Wednesday evening and will run through Friday morning (early) then the link will be closed. I know it is hard to get in the habit of posting earlier than later, but try and get your link in before early Friday morning. I have to close the link to keep spam out of the link. Thanks!! And I know Wednesday is not Thursday, here...but it is Thursday for our friends who live on the other side of the globe!!

It seems when I post about my Goodwill finds, I always get several comments on others wishing their local Goodwill had the sort of finds I happen to run across. I have to admit...I spend more time in Goodwill(s) and thrift stores than I do a regular mall. Seriously. For many people, right after the holidays and into January starts a really large commitment to get rid of excess things in their homes. Many donate to Goodwill.....I have found that throughout the month of January and into February, there are great items to be found. Be consistant, stop in more than once in a while, take a quick spin through the store...that is when I find most of my "good" finds.... when I am in a hurry.

That being said, There are four major Goodwill stores I like to shop at. The most favorite is the one in a really not very good part of town....none the less....it offers the best goods of all of them....they know me by name at this store! This past week, I happened to be in this very store, and I mentioned that the store was not very busy...the little guy that always talks to me said that since the new store opened a few miles away, the customer count had slacked off.....hold on...did he say NEW store....oh, my heart started racing. Very politely, as quick as I could without rushing the poor dude, I paid and snatched my sack off the counter and nearly sprinted to the car to make a mad dash to this NEW store....I swear this is true.

Now, next week, I will have to share my finds from the NEW store...and yes....I did find some great things. One thing I was amazed at was the prices at this new location. I have found that more times than not, that things seem to be priced more than I would like to pay....but the new store....dirt cheap...I almost felt guilty....almost......

Today, I want to share two figurines I happened to find at Goodwill......they are the sweetest little things.....

Now, when I saw this sweet little lady, with a puppy, well, I could not put her in my cart fast enough. She is just so very sweet. The sugar on top to this find was the label.........

A Josef Original.....I searched and searched on line to try and find one like her, but I never found anything close to this little lady. She could be a Calendar girl, but I really have no idea...I will keep looking and see if she turns up in my search. None the less...a real bargain at $2.00.

Now this is just so sweet. When I spotted this last year, I had to have it. You see, these little bluebirds remind me of the bluebirds we have at our cabin in Colorado. They had to come home with me, there was no doubt. I think their faces are so very sweet. This is a mint condition piece.

Here is the label on the birds....Again, I did a search, and did not find any like them. I did find however that these types of things made by this maker, varied so much in price and value. On ebay, some were listed for a mere .99 and well...then all the way to over a hundred dollars. These cute little birds only cost me $3.00 and I was happy to pay it.

Now this cutie is not mine. This was the closest thing I found on ebay that was remotely close to my bird figurine above. It is absolutely the sweetest thing....but it is listed for $95.00......WOW.....I often wonder what the value would be on the treasures I find and drag home.....but maybe it is better that I don't know, because I doubt I could part with them. If I pick something up and put it in my basket, it is because I love it and plan on keeping it......that is why I need a bigger house....in the worse kind of way!

Have a great weekend and a very Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday!!



42 comments:

  1. I love your little birdies, Suzanne! And the little Josef girl too. I know those demand a pretty penny! I usually never find anything at our Goodwill, but I did really well this past Christmas, and I'll take your advice and check it out again to see if anyone cleared their house of lots of McCoy pottery, or cute little birds!
    Happy VTT!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sweet finds. When a new GW opened up around here not long ago I thought the prices were very good and cheap...went there yesterday, sky high prices? What is with these places? Oh well, I still cruise them often and that is also how I find my treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne, those are adorable!
    Great finds.
    I'm glad to be back in blogland and will work on my post asap!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we are kindred spirits. I just love those bluebirds. THose are my kind of figurine. Even better than the 95 dollar one on ebay. And like you, if i buy it, it's to keep it and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing makes me happier than a new Goodwill!! I also spend more time there than in malls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hI, Suzanne..I haven't been over to play in awhile and have missed seeing you.
    These are so so sweet..
    I spent this entire day with a friend and from 10:30 this morning until 5:30 this evening, we have hit every thrift store we could find. O, I have soome treasures that just made me nearly wet my pants. Hahah..YOU know the feeling. I will post of them soon.

    I love your Goodwill finds and you really got a couple of nice pieces here.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's exactly my problem..:). I buy it because I love it and want to keep it...and I have no room left.hmm
    If I solve the space problem without a larger house, I'll let you know. Ooo, I wish we had a new Goodwill in our area. Sad to say that now, the prices are going higher and higher..one thrift shop is way more expensive than the antique stores.
    I'm not gonna be able to do a vintage post this week, but will rejoin next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of your little birdies are so sweet. Lucky you, I only have 1 Goodwill near me. Seems they have been good to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your birds are much cuter than the ones on eBay. I love the puppy with the girl. Wouldn't a figurine of just him be wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your little figurine and those sweet little birds! Why can't I ever find such sweetnesses! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Suzanne, I love your little figurines. And how great to find a NEW Goodwill! Hopefully they will keep their prices low ;-) Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh they are all sooo cute! Lovely finds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. they are simply adorable!..what a thrill to discover a 'new' goodwill store, lucky you!

    Gotta admit i buy things that i love too, who cares about their value lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are supposed to share with the older generation when you find a new store. How am I going to buy if I do not know where to go. You think I might find something you would want. No such luck for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those little birds are just adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all your treasures! They are so precious and cute! I love shopping the thrift stores! Lots of great bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Suzanne, you sure lucked out! Two brand name items and cute to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those birds are the cutest. I would have had to bring them home as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! what wonderful treasures! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love your cute little bluebirds!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Suzanne, I too love Good Will and they KNOW MY NAME. I just bought sterling silver candle holders for 10.00. They are gorgeous. I love the many items I find and smile all the way home with my happy purchases.

    You gave me a chuckle with your story of the new store. The Josef is a true find. My sister collects them. She has 12 months of the calendar ones. I love the bluebirds too. This is my idea of fun!!!
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. OK I'm up and running. Just a bit of something today. Have not been shopping much.

    Love your little girl and birdies.
    Great finds.

    blessings and thanks for hotting

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those figurenes are so sweet. I hardly ever see anything like them in our local thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are adorable! Every once in a while I'll find something good like this...but I find better things at smaller church rummage sales that I just happen upon. Those happen more in the summer during flea market season though. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your birdies they are so cute. Mine is up!

    VTT:Old Pop machine

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! This is my first time entering something to this party, and thank you for hosting it. What fun!
    I know what you mean about thrift stores....I can't stay away from them myself, and I, too, spend more time there than at the mall.
    I love those little bluebirds! Those would make me smile every time I saw them.
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very cute....the birdies are especially sweet! :) I am out {finally} visiting all my blogging friends...Hope you can stop by for a visit soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looky at YOUR Joseph Original for $2...a muuuch better deal than the one little lady I found on eBay! Great deal! I enjoyed your figurines today, and thought it neat that we both posted on them for today. Thanks, Suzanne for VTT...it's a fun time to share our 'Vintage' Thingys...Sue

    ReplyDelete
  29. These little figurines take me back to my childhood - - -

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Suzanne, your little birds are much cuter than the ebay ones! and your little girl figurine is just adorable!-you totally titled your post correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Like you, I find it difficult to sell things but I'm pretty good at giving stuff away -smile-. I enjoy VTT and have a post up at Thistle Cove Farm. I'm having trouble finding McLinky though but will keep searching.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh you have some wonderful treasures you've found. I still have a Joseph birthstone girl from my childhood - sadly her hat is broken.
    I found your bluebirds at this address:
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-norcrest-yellow-love-birds-ceramic

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am one of those suffering from thrift shop envy, I almost never go to a mall, but I don't spend much time in stores so that may be the problem I am not persistent enough.
    More delightful acquisitions again this week Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really like your little birdies. Those were great finds! I especially like the little blue and yellow ones, their faces are so sweet. I've wondered about ebay with multiple listings with such a wide range in price. My suitcase was from $15.99 to $65.00.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So very cute Suzanne!!! Amazing that you can't find the matches online! Do you have one of those buyers guide books or know an antique seller that will let you look at theirs or, heck, go to the bookstore and look 'em up!

    Still having labels is -to me- the most amazing part!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Trying to figure out how to explain these linky things. You did a wonderful job. I totally need to rethink my explanations! AND I was really intriqued with your doxie photos. We have a standard...he is gorgeous but stubborn!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You got some great little items there, I love the little birdies. Oh, wouldn't it be great if yours turned out to be worth $75.00 But even if it doesn't it is still beautiful and worth much more to you.
    Is the Name of your new store, Dirt Cheap, I love our Dirty Cheap, that is where I found my purses this week.
    Have a great week.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh dear Suzanne, what lovely figurines you have! I can't pick a fave coz I love them all! is that bad? hehehehe.. wish it was that easy to find these figurines at my side of the world.. thanks for sharing these pretties! happy vtt and have a great weekend!
    xo
    fitty

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh Suzanne! Your little birds are so cute!

    P.S. A banner week for VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ooooh, I just found your blog! What a great weekly event! Love the birds and the girl figurines :)

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...