Monday, January 11, 2010

Recycled Happy - Design Wall First for 2010

Winter.....drab....cold.....gloomy......and around this time of year, I find myself longing for the springtime. It has been cold here, so cold I just want to stay inside. So I started a project I have been thinking about for several months. Let me show you the first thing to hit my design wall for 2010, "Recycled Happy". Perfect to chase away a gloomy winter day.

This is my up cycled, revamped fabric from men's shirts that has become a cheery distraction to the winter weather. Bright....yep, it is that. I did not realize when I was looking at Goodwill and thrift stores for men's shirts with orange in the fabrics just how much fun this would be to actually work into a quilt top.


I know, it may not appeal to some...it is busy, bright and loud...but I like it. I was really lucky this past week, as I was browsing the rack at goodwill for blue shirts, I found 6 uniform shirts from Pepsi....a beautiful royal blue, and perfect for this project. I am going to add a small inner border and larger outer border of the blue, with a patchwork blocks border in between the two blue borders. I am thinking I will piece the binding with the shirt fabrics as well.

I was glad to find the Pepsi uniform shirts as I really wanted the whole top and binding to be made from repurposed men's shirts. The fabric I purchased with the intention to back this quilt with, may just have to be worked into another project. The front is so busy, I think a simple small print or solid would be best for the back. What do you think?

I just have to stitch the blocks together, join the rows, add the borders and this will be finished. Hopefully by Friday, I'll complete this project and have it ready to be quilted. I purchased some fabrics Saturday at the LQS to make a sample block for a new project I am looking forward to starting....a quilter's work is never done, always thinking of the next project!

28 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great quilt..almost quiltvillish..LOL. Love that you are using the shirtings and what a great way to recycle!!
    I think you could have the back as busy as you like it could be another quilt!! I love surprises on the backs of quilts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's too busy at all ... blue and orange is such a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I love bright, busy and loud quilts.

    What I love about this is that it's a really blokey quilt and often quilts aren't. I also like the idea that you've re-purposed old shirts in a completely novel way.

    Great stuff !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so bright and happy and fun! Perfect antidote to weary cold, days! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well done! I still think the orange would make a great back. Why tame it down now??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the checks and stripes do add a lot don't they! Well done!
    And as for bright busy and loud, that's what I aspire to right now int he dead of winter!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job. It feel so good to work on a project. When I am creating I am at my best.
    What a stroke of luck to find those shirts. It'll all tie together nicely.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say, I like it, it does bring light and cheer into a gloomy day.
    Great job
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suzanne this is wonderful and you have accomplished so much. Any one from the Netherlands would love this as it is all their national colours! I love it too. Way to go!! I hope to get some sewing done today too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bright and wonderful! I love the men's shirts idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never attempted quilting. But I think your quilt is awesome. How clever of you to go to the GW to get your fabrics. I can't wait to see it done. Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good job! The colors will certainly brighten up walls and moods! A great idea, re-purposing old shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colors. That's one of my problems...putting colors together. But you have done this very nicely...and with repurposed fabric...yeah for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hats off to you! I can only imagine how much work goes into making a quilt let alone going the extra mile in finding shirts. It looks great Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like it! I think it turned out great. I wish I had the patience to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this quilt, Suzanne! It's so bright and cheery, and I love the fabrics that you used to make it. I can't wait to see it finished!
    Happy Monday!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Suzanne,
    I love everything about your quilt.
    The colors just reach out and say, "look at me..I've a story to tell".
    If that quilt could talk, can you imagine the stories you would hear..
    the different lives of the guys who wore those shirts.. I can't wait to see it all finished..it's just beautiful thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well this was a surprise. However, it is a nice one. All I can say is the folks at your house better watch out are they will turn up "bareless". I love bright colors, but I love one other much better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your recycled quilt Suzanne, how will you quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW that's totally gorgeous. How clever using men's shirts. Love your quilt and your blog too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such talent! What a great way to chase away the winter blahs. =)

    Received your Christmas card through Kat's exchange. Thank you.

    Just checking out your blog for the first time. How fun! I'll be back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love bright and busy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Perfect for chasing away winter doldrums! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is sooooo cool!!!! I love bright blankets!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW the colours POP..i LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would have never thought to recycle men's shirts for a great quilt like this. I LOVE the colors and the idea. Quilt fabric is sooo expensive. I will be waiting to see the finished quilt. Nice job Suzanne.

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...