Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year Word.....Fabric......

What did you do New Years Eve?....What did I do???.....boy, this will blow your socks off....we stayed home, I cleaned and organized my sewing room and my husband watched a movie with the dogs....we are such exciting people...but I have to admit...I had a great time, and it needed the attention in the worse kind of way. Pretty uneventful for the last day of 2009...BUT, earlier in the day was exciting and great fun....I decided to go to the quilt shop to pay them a visit and use the gift certificate I got as a gift for Christmas....the darn thing was burning a hole in my purse...I swear!

Not only that, but I know the quilt shops move more bolts of fabrics to the clearance bin so they can clear some fabric out at the end of the year for inventory in January.....I had a ball.....seriously.....and well, since I am putting myself on a strict budget for 2010.....this was my last day for....well...spending...sorta like my last chunk of change to throw down on the counter....and well, I took full advantage of the day!

Just look at the yummy stack of fat quarters....I was lucky, there were so many "like 100's" of fat quarters on the shelves....it was hard to just pick a "few" and the best part of it was....40% off. I really have something in mind to use these for....I saw a quilt on line and it just spoke to me...lots of pretty colors....lots of scraps, I figure with my scrap pile (which is overflowing) and this stack...I see lots of scrappy quilts in my future for 2010.

This fabric was 50% off because I purchased all that was on the bolt....backs for future quilts. One in particular, inspired by my friend, Lane....a quilt made from men's thrifted long sleeve shirts. I purchased shirts with blues and oranges from garage sales, and thrift stores....the fabrics are great and recycling them into a quilt ....even better, and am certain I am going to use the orange for the backing for that quilt....masculine front with the men's shirt blocks, and well....a pretty girly print for the back of the quilt...What do you think????

Now unless you are a fabric nut...you may want to skip the next few pictures and scroll down to the bottom....you may not care to look at all of this fabric....

BUT, I want you to see one of my SIX quilts I gave as gifts this Christmas....and I made two wall hangings in my spare time.....more on this will follow in future post...now that all have opened their quilts and gifts, I want to show you the pictures....but first....here is what I purchased today....

Here is a group of the blues shades in some of the fat quarters......

How about these yummy purples.......LOVE......

These yellows should brighten up any gloomy day......

What fantastic reds.....oh how I love these reds......

and some really nice pinks......so pretty.

Well....I got a bit carried away.....these are just sorta random in color scheme...but I have some stash fabrics that will work with these...trust me!

My daughter graduated from College this December, most of you know that...I made her a t-shirt quilt for one of her gifts......I thought I did not have time to do this, and looked for someone to make it for me.....the going price was between $525.00 - $650.00 for this size....ummmm......thanks, but I will do it myself....and I did.....I was rather proud of myself if I do say so myself...This was the second quilt I finished after the first one I did this summer.

I chose a color fabric that was not the school colors, just because it looked like something my daughter would like, and it worked out well....she loved it.

I did bind the quilt in Green to tie into the rest of the colors of the shirts in the quilt......

This was such a fun project, I thought it was going to be really difficult, but it was not, really easy once the main blocks were made, and I really enjoyed making the blocks and cutting up the shirts to fit into the size square I needed.

Here is the back of the quilt.........

And here is the label. I found a picture of my daughter that was taken her very first week of college, in front of the fountain at her School...so I used that picture......

I feel like I accomplished my goal for 2009 in learning to quilt...I have a long way to go, but I did achieve what I started out to learn, and to tell you the truth...that is a good feeling. What is next for the new year?? I have learning to knit right on top of my list. Of course, as you can already see....quilting will still be a strong contender for my time....my goal in quilting is to improve on my blocks, so things line up the way they should......looks like it is going to be a busy year......

If you have not set a goal for this new year....do so.....pick one thing.... anything....and accomplish that.....it is a very good feeling to be able to say "I did it" Now if I can stick to my plan and cut my spending down this next year.....things will be good....Oh, and did I mention that sometimes goals you set for yourself are not easy to achieve?? Don't worry...stick around...we can do it together.....encourage one another!

24 comments:

  1. Six quilts! Wow!

    I love the look of your stacks of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne,
    Happy quilting to you in 2010!
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter's quilt is beautiful! I know she'll love it forever, full of memories as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow 6 quilts! Love your fabrics. Thanks for the inspiration you pass on every week. Whether it is vintage or quilting, I always enjoy catching up with you. Hope you have a very happy and blessed New Year!

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on acheiving your goal, I'm sure it wasn't always easy but the sense of acheivement must be wonderful.
    You certainly have some great fabrics to work with in 2010.
    Happy New Year From Normandy.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you really scored at the quilt shop! I love the t-shirt quilt. Learning to knit is something I want to accomplish as well in 2010. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One thing for sure, you started off the New Year more quilt wild and crazy than I thought. Never saw such a stack of fabric. If you use all this, you will not have time to be out spending. I am sure the other half will be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quilt! I love how you tied the colors together and the back, especially the label is great!

    It has been a pleasure reading your blog entries in 2009 and I look forward to all of your 2010 posts.

    Peace, health and even stitches to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOu sure did do well with your purchases. (you are welcome to link to my blog for the scrap rainbow quilt my daughter made) I got the same blue fabric as you (third from right in your blues) at one quilt shop sale, tomorrow another. Love your t-shirt quilt, one lucky girl and congrats on the graduation. 2010...Lets Quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You are amazing. I too love fabric, but unfortunately I'm not as good at using it as you are!
    We didn't go to a party (long drive in the snow) last nite but stayed home and watched amovie. Today my plan is to work on my sewing mess. Need to finish a dress for a wedding in Kansas on the 16th.
    I resolved 3 years ago to finally become fluent in Spanish. Since I'm not good at languages its been a hard road and I think i need to keep resolving! This year I'll keep taking classes (private cuz I've slogged thru all the low levels offered) and resolve to study each day, even if only for 10 minutes.
    Happy New Year!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so impressed with all you have accomplished in the world of quilting this year! There are many experienced quilters who couldn't complete 6 in one year! Love looking at those yummy fabrics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband and I were just as exciting as you - watching TV! Works for me.

    You daughter's quilt is beautiful. You must be proud. Health, happiness and prosperity in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! I am amazed!!!! gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susanne,
    Wow! I got a sewing maching for Christmas, I asked for one. I love going to the quilting blogs. I am going to take some classes and see if I can get past my fear of perfection with sewing.....it has stopped me for years! IFor 2010 I am going to tackle some of these things! Great stash! That had to be so much fun!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, So glad to have found you I love your pretty fabrics and can't wait to see what you do with them. I have so much stash, fabric and yarn I had better get busy. Oh and the local fabric store is having big sales over the weekend. . .here we go again.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suzanne, that quilt is so great, what a wonderful gift to honor your Daughter's hard work and determination. I don't quilt but I love the material you got.
    Hope you have a very Happy New Year
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt, lucky and beautiful daughter. Congrats on finishing 6 quilts since summer. You rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Suzanne, I am jealous of your talent...wish I could make quilts, but I don't have the patience or the talent, but if you ever find your self with one too many, just send it my way.

    Happy New Year

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved how you celebrated, I did much the same. Have really enjoyed getting to know you this past year.
    May the worst of 2010 be from the best of 2009.
    Happy New Year
    from Thistle Cove Farm

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I love your DD's t-shirt quilt-really a unique remembrance of her college days!

    Great new fabrics and I look forward to seeing your new quilts this year! Way to go Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't believe you did so many! The one for your daughter is wonderful...I know she treasures it. I've done a little quilting but it was eons ago. I think trying to learn again would be an interesting thing to do. I really admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Suzanne, I love your fabric finds. Paisleys are my fave. The t-shirt quilt for your daughter is great...something she will treasure forever, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Suzanne,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a beautiful and encouraging comment.

    Loved your idea about making the vintage sheet top into a coin quilt. At the moment I can't even look at that quilt top!

    I got heart palpitations just looking at all your gorgeous fabrics. Buying fabric is so addicitve. Mr. Pyjamas doesn't get the obsession!

    Happy Quilting for 2010. I'll be stopping by often.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all of the fabric!! I do not sew but would like to learn some basics.

    The quilt you made your daughter is amazing!!!! So beautiful and something for her to treasure forever.

    Happy 2010!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...