Friday, October 21, 2011

I Like Big Quilts And I Can Not Lie......

Oh, yes....I do. If there was any doubt, let me remind you that my very first quilt was turned from a full size into a king size just like that. After all, bigger is always better in my book.  I always seem to make large quilts. I have never made a twin size unless it was on purpose and that has only happened once. Lap quilts are not even in my thought process and I have only made two wall hangings and I gave them both away as gifts.

With that being said, I have to admit when I sewed the body of my latest quilt from the crumb along together, I thought....."What happened?"

All the blocks were trimmed to 6 inches. There are eight rows up and down, and seven across. Honestly, I have had this on my design wall all along, and for some reason, the thought never occurred to me that this was going to be small...em.....really small compared to what I am used to working with. This is the photo of all the blocks sewn together.....still up on the design wall. I had to check myself because I was sure something was off due to its size. But I finally just decided to just go with it, it was OK that it was not a gigantic quilt....smaller would be fine.....and it really is not small compared to some I have seen.

Here it is with the inner border added. The Green fabric was my starting constant fabric or focal fabric as Jo suggested. I spent the largest part of the day making an additional crumb border to sew on the outside of this green one. I kid you not. All day.......

My thought was to add the crumb border, then another green border, then the larger 6 inch outer border to finish it up. I don't know what I was thinking. After all of that additional sewing, I decided this quilt did not need that crumb border added nor did it need the additional green border. It will be fine as it is.

I need to work on finishing the outer border and getting it all put together. I may wait until next week, because Jo is so good at giving little tips and tricks for making it all come together.  This is a bright one to say the least. But I think I am really liking it and once the large crumb border is added, I think it will be really a neat quilt. I have even learned to embrace working with a smaller than usual pile of fabrics. I may just be finished with the larger than life quilts for a while......maybe!

You may notice the little block in the lower right hand corner. That is a crumb puppy block. It took me so long to get it the way I thought it needed to be that I am too ashamed to tell you long it took. Just know, I will tell you about it once the quilt is finished.

Quilts tell a story and they speak to the artist who is bringing it to life. Especially true for me with this one. Only, I had no idea what was in store  when I signed up for this crumb along or where it would find a home once it is finished. The scraps, the blocks, the story all came together for a quilt with a purpose. This is one like none other I am sure I will ever make. Thank you Jo for the opportunity and the challenge. There was a bigger purpose planned all from the beginning.


If you'd like to see some of the other participants, be sure to stop by Jo's Blog,  Jo's Country Junction and take a look around. Look back on the crumb post and think about trying this process out yourself. It is amazing how different each and every quilt is going to look, all using the same technique. Have a great weekend....happy sewing!


17 comments:

  1. What a fun, fun quilt! It will be great to snuggle under and just enjoy. I had to laugh at your post title, too -- and then I sang it, a couple of times. LOL!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't nothing crumby about this quilt. I am surprised there are not more dogs scattered around. No matter what size you make, you do a super job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful quilt! It must have been a lot of work with all the different blocks...but you did an excellent job! Thanks for sharing it! Have a good weeend...Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't know anything about quilts but I do know - this is really nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting quilt! So much to look at. I really don't know much about Crumb quilts. Is this a sister to the Crazy quilt? Are they put together by paper-piecing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quilt; the bright colors and random look. Just great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That crumb puppy is adorable! He looks happy to be in the quilt. Great job all round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I created so many quilts but never used white colour. But after visiting your post, I got the idea of using white colours and various polka circle in background fabric, which is wonderful and looks very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Suzanne, what a fun quilt, it look really fantastic, the green border perfect.
    Love the puppy block :)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your crumbs make this quilt look happy, and the puppy in the corner is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the border. I especially love the little dog in the corner. Great job! I really like my quilts big too. Our bed is California King and a few of my quilts ended up that size.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!! You've done a fabulous job with taking the basic instructions and making it truly your own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking good! The green inner border is perfect-it really frames all the wonderful blocks.

    You may just find you'll love snuggling under this
    on the sofa this winter...my kids love lap quilts so much they turn on the air conditioning in the spring and fall (when they really don't need it) just so they can have a quilt cuddle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job. Beautiful colors. When I saw a few of your blocks I was curious how it would all work - but it does. What's next? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodness you are so talented. This is a very lovely quilt. I like the green color on it. Very pretty. Enjoy the weekend. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a wonderful quilt Suzanne, and you are right, each crumb quilt will look different and tell a story.
    Congratulations for your joyful quilt!
    Katell

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! All your blocks are wonderful. Each one very distinct and great colors.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...