Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Vintage Toy Lion

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a "dog-gone" good time each and every week!!! If you are new to this party, please take the time to read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so  please make sure you follow the instructions. 
Please only ONE link per week. 

This is a vintage toy lion that I have always called Leo. He belonged to my great grandmother, who I always called Grandma 2. She had this toy at her house and I always loved it when I was little.   I love his cheerful face the best. My grandma kept him in her bedroom on her bed and that is where he had to stay most of the time. As a little kid, that held a lot of attention and wanting to drag it all over the  house.

I can still vision that bedroom in that little house. Although as a child, I did not think that their house was all that small. But to drive by there today....it looks the same as I remember, just a whole lot smaller. This lion sat on her bed that was covered with a dusty pink chenille bedspread. I can remember how that old bedspread felt as I would lay across the bed and play with this lion.

Friends, that was a long, long time ago. My great grandma passed I believe in either 1969 or '70 and I was around seven or eight when she passed. I remember asking for this lion as a way to remember her by. Luckily, my mom was outspoken and would speak her mind because I was not the only one who wanted him...and I was lucky enough to have him for my own.

And in-case you are wondering, when I attach myself to things that mean something to me, I don't take ownership lightly. He is for the most part in exactly the condition he was when I got him all those years ago. Never, did I play with him. He sat on my bed or dresser for most of my childhood and when I was a teenager and got a hope chest....he found his way there for safe keeping and has been there for years on end. I hate to think of what would have become of him had I not been able to have him. I would hope he would be in the same shape, but it is not likely.

Of course, I did not need this toy to remember my very special grandma 2.....but I would not take any thing for him and he really means a lot to me.

He does need a few repairs. I have no idea how old he actually is, as there are no tags at all. His body and legs have wires, as you can see the one sticking out of his tail. There are a couple of places where the stitching has come undone, this is the one with the most need of repair. I tend to believe if he had not lived in that chest for so many years, he would not be in the shape he is today. I need to find a way to display him and enjoy him while I am still here to do so. I think he is adorable, and reminds me of someone I still hold very dear to my heart.

This is a photo of my (left to right) Papaw, his brother Edmond, my great grandma 2, and my great grandfather 2. They were very sweet and special people in my life and I am so thankful that I was old enough to remember special bits and pieces about my great grandparents.

Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday everyone!!! Have a wonderful day!!

26 comments:

  1. What a great toy and an even greater memory! Enjoy it while you can...it is very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you have that darling lion and I completely understand how much it means to you. There are some things that I have received that once belonged to those I have loved and they are such treasures to me. Theses things may of little or no value to someone else, but to you and me, they mean the world. Thanks for sharing it with us and thanks so much for hosting my friend!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful childhood memories and a treasure as well. I wish you could have known your grandparents on my side of the family. You would ha e loved them and enjoyed being with them. In fact, I have more memories of my time with my Pama, that I do my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet that you inherited Leo. He looks like he was loved a lot. Maybe you could display him under a cloche.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this special lion and special memorians of a very special lady in your life.I am so glad that your Mother spoke up for you.
    It is wonderful that you have the lion to remember her by.
    Thanks for hosting. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing Leo with us, Suzanne. He is precious, indeed. It's so nice that you took such good care of him. Your grandma would be pleased. Thanks for hosting. It's always a pleasure.
    :) Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a special toy and such a precious treasure. How nice that you were able to take such good care of him. I imagine your grandma would be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzanne, I love this story. You "get it" as I like to say about people who know certain items we retain can evoke such heartwarming memories of our childhood and those we loved so much.

    Thanks for sharing with us!

    Ann
    A Sentimental life

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful memory you have of your grandmother. Your little lion has had lots of love, I wonder who will love him next?

    ReplyDelete
  10. He has a sweet face, and your memories make him so very, very special. Thanks for sharing your joy in them with us.
    THAT's what makes VTT wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suzanne, Great story. Glad your Mother spoke up for you and you got to keep your treasure. Enjoy him as is, maybe someone in the blog world knows something about your Leo. Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leo is adorable ♥ him! Lovely story. Thank you for hosting VTT! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely post. Aren't we lucky to have known G. Grandparents. I think it gives us a better sense of family than most...a connection to the past only a few are lucky to have.
    I think the lion the is the first version of Leo, The Friendly Lion. A very popular cartoon from the early 60's. My later version has a pull cord that makes him talk...kinda sounds like the Wiz of Oz's Cowardly Lion voice.
    Thanks for hosting again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Suzanne, I barely remember my great grands. Your story about the lion is so special. I too am so happy you have such a special little toy to remember your great grands. Memories like this are worth so much more than money. I can guess he had the best care from you because of how special his memory is to you. Thank you for sharing him with us today.
    Love, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suzanne,
    What a wonderful story that you shared with us today and a loving tribute to your great grandmother.
    I always love hearing stories about grand mothers and great grands as I grew up without any grandparents. All were deceased but the time I turned 2 y/o. I do envy those that had grand parents because I know I missed out on something truly special but I do love hearing everyone else's stories about theirs.
    That bear is precious and i know you take your ownership of him with a great sense of responsibility. That is how I feel when someone gives me something from my hubby's family. I am just a temporary caretaker and will pass it on to the next generation...
    Thanks so much for hosting and for sharing this lovely story!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for hosting yet another vintage party! Love being a part-and I love being back after a long time away from blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Suzanne, Leo is so cute, I love his happy little face. I can just see you laying across that chenille bedspread, playing with your sweet friend. I'm so glad you ended up with him and were able to preserve him for future generations. Thanks for sharing, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's the story behind our belongs that make them special, isn't it? Thank you for sharing your lion's story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think Leo is another word for Love! What great memories you have of your great-grandparents! Thanks for sharing and for hosting the party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a touching story about your sweet lion from Grandma. So Cool

    - KAT -

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a cute old lion - I can picture it sitting on your Granny 2's chenille bedspread :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a treasure! You think of people having dolls or teddy bears but this is so unique! I love surrounding myself with things that bring back good memories! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a sweet story. Thanks for sharing it. Precious mem'ries. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like Leo's face. A different sort of bear face. Poor Leo has an owie but he doesn't seem to mind. A very warm vintage story. I like the pictures of your father and great grandparents.

    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Suzanne! Your stories are always wonderful and heart warming. What a special one you share today!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...