Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Vintage Molcajete

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a "dog-gone" good time each and every week!!! If you are new to this party, please take the time to read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so  please make sure you follow the instructions. 
Please only ONE link per week. 

This week, I'd like to show you one of my most prized vintage pieces. I would estimate this to be about 55 years old.
This is a vintage Molcajete ( mo-ca-heck-te ) which belonged to my grandmother. I spent many hours in my life time watching her grind up peppers, spices and garlic to add to mexican food with this tool. Funny, thing is, she did not call it by its proper name. She called it a piano. Don't know why. But sure wish I knew why she called it that. But that is what I have always known it as.

I love it as it evokes fond memories of my wonderful grandma who was the best cook I have ever known. Lots of wonderful dishes were prepared but only with the help of this tool.

It is very simple to work. Just add peppers, or spices. It works great for grinding whole cumin seeds and grinds them very fine.
Very little effort is used, and soon you have great results.

See, finely crushed red peppers. These were used in some salsa that is served with eggs for Breakfast. I'll have to post that recipe soon. Nothing particularly fancy or pretty about this one...but special it is.

I am sure this is not a rare thing in many households. But it is a treasure and a wonderful memory in mine!! What about you? Do you have any kitchen tools that hold fond memories for you too?? Have a great Vintage Thingie Thursday!!!



20 comments:

  1. Hi Suzanne! Your grandmother's molcajete is just wonderful (I never knew the correct name before). I can only imagine what wonderful dishes were made from the spices ground with this tool. One of the soups tureens I am sharing came from my grandma too. When we use things inherited from our beloved grandmothers it feels like they are still with us. Thanks for hosting again Suzanne!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool...to have been able to use it with your grandmother!
    Love your Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to have that...and your special memories! Thanks for hosting a fun party this week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a neat tool for the kitchen and so useful too, I have honestly never seen one or heard of one...it's surely extra special because of the memories it holds for you...times spent with grandma are priceless and they stay with us forever. I am curious as to why grandma called it a piano too :)
    Thanks for hosting this fun party!
    Big hugs,
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a clever and very useful tool. And I love that you think of your grandma when you use it. Thanks for hosting, Suzanne. It's always a pleasure.
    Lynn :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treasure you have. I always love hearing stories like yours.
    Thank you so much for hosting each week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one thing that has been put to good use a mighty long time. And, it is still being used today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is quite the treasure. Love it.
    Thanks for hosting.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great item...especially with the family associations. Very special!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have anything vintage to link up this week, but I still wanted to stop and see what others had to share. Thanks for hosting another party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning Suzanne,
    I am sharing a teacup from my tea party this week. Hope that's OK. This looks like a fun party and I will try to come up with some other things in the coming weeks. Your grandmother's molcajete is wonderful and how nice that you have it! Thank you for sharing and hosting.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a wooden one, but was afraid to use it - I didn't think I could ever clean it. Yours is great - love the family history. Maybe your Grandmother called it a piano because that's what she was told it was called?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen these but have never used one. It's so special because of your grandmother. Have a great day grinding!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such fond memories.
    I received one as a gift from my son many years ago..I have yet to use it. Thank you for infoming me of it's name...I just called the the rock grinder thingy! LOL
    I will have to get it down and put it to use...you make it look easy.
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen a molcajete before...so interesting!!! Thanks for the info and for hosting the party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to use fresh herbs to cook. What a treasure you have.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is such a special treasure. Memories like those are priceless.Thanks so much for hosting and sharing with us.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  18. As per my view, This is such a neat tool for the kitchen and so useful too, I have honestly never seen one in online market also. Times spent with grandma are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful treasure for you to share with us. It must have so many lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the post makes me think again of my son , Joe he was just here and I just did a post on him...He was making a pizza and going through my spice cupboard and asked if he could have some of my multicolored pepper. I told him he had to have a pepper mill to grind the pepper in first. He told me "No problem mom, I can just use my mortar and pestle..." I just blinked at him

    - KAT -

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...