Monday, January 16, 2012

First Quilt for 2012 ~ Design Wall Monday

When New Years day rolled in, I was busy cutting, sewing and putting together the Orca Bay quilt by Bonnie Hunter. With Christmas and all the holiday happenings, I was behind on that mystery quilt. So I was making good progress when a turn of events halted all my progress and it has been sitting in my sewing room ever since.

The first week in January was a tragic one for someone I know and their family. Suddenly, when saying how sorry I was just did not sound like enough and almost seemed empty in some way to me. Nor the fact when offering to help in any way I could (and mean it) but at the same time know your help won't be asked for, it certainly left me with a funny feeling.

So...I decided to do the only thing I felt I could do to really let these folks know that I understand their tragic loss and how very sorry I really am, no matter if it sounded rather small (to me) at the time.

This is what is on my design wall today, almost ready to stitch together and add the borders. I searched through my saved images of quilts I liked, and found this one. I remember when I saved the picture, I did so so I could find the pattern, but alas, no pattern was found so I did what I usually do, just look at the photo and figure it out.

There will a be a string pieced border and then one more with the tan and scrap pieces. All the blocks are made and ready to be removed from the wall and labeled, then sewn together.

The top row that is missing from the photos is right here on the floor, along with the last bottom rows and the far right row. This was a lot more cutting and sewing sashings than I originally thought. But, I like this one and I bet I will make one more of these before long. I am wanting to finish this one up this week to get it quilted so I can go back to Orca Bay that is staring me in the face begging to be put together. Soon.....very soon! I just realized how off the coloring in this room is with these pictures.I moved my design wall from my sewing room temporarily and I can sure tell the difference in these photos...guess I will be fixing that little problem soon.

Does that ever happen to you? Start something then get derailed and a new project opens up and the old one gets shoved to the side?? Or is that just what happens to me?? Have a great Monday...I am off to get this one off the design wall and start sewing!!

Today, I am linking in with Design Wall Monday with Judy....there are really a lot of great quilts there which offers a lot of inspiration!

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful string quilt! I'd love to do one of these -- such fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your string quilt is lovely. I love the secondary design you get with the nine patch and strips blocks. This quilt is a great way to get rid of.... ahew... use up some of your stash.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great use for string blocks. I never really made one because I didn't like the way they fit together. But, that sashing solves that. I'm sure they're going to love it. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt. You are so talented and loving and giving. I know how you feel that you want to help someone but words aren't enough and what to do. hugs, Lina

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH that quilt is gorgeous. I'm sure it will be a great comfort the for family you are making it for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun quilt; you have gotten the colors balanced and the white adds some brightness. Reminds me of a Evelyn Sloppy quilt. I get side tracked all the time since design and picking fabrics is so fun, Enjoy your day, this quilt will be wonderful when done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like an Evelyn Sloppy quilt in her string quilt book! I have made it and know several others who have as well in blogland. It is such a wonderful quilt, isn't it! Loving how your quilt is coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks fantastic!!! I have a photo of a quilt like this that I once printed out after seeing on someone's blog. It's been hanging up in my sewing room for years.... one year, yes one year I'll make me one. Using plaids like you did! :)

    Love from Indiana! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your string. Looks like you are running out of wall. They just don't make them big enough.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is beautiful! My grandmother and my aunts have always been quilters, it's something I've always wanted to learn. I'm ok with the piecing, it's the binding that always messes me up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always getting sidetracked and that is probably why RollRollCottonBoll sits on my cutting table staring (or is it glaring) at me... I am sure your friends will greatly appreciate your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An incredibly beautiful quilt. A gift from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous, gorgeous quilt! And yes, get derailed happens to me all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It doesn't take much to derail me from anything! Your quilt does not look like an easy one-it looks complicated to me!♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful string quilt. Love the nine patches in the sashings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the quilt. Can't wait to see the Orca bay one too. I wanted to do that one but it was just too close to the holidays. I am hoping to shore up Christms earlier in 2013 so I can participate this year.LOL
    I always get derailed. I'm not happy unless I'm working on at least 3 things at once.

    Happy day.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  17. The string quilt is wonderful. I have come to a halt with my Orca Bay this past 10 days or so. So yes I stop one and start a new one all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the string quilt. I have that one on my list to do. Yours looks great. Orca Bay requires no distraction when putting that little baby together. Get the strings out the way first. And yep the distractions are EVERY WHERE in my sewing room :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your string quilt is wonderful looking. I love scrap quilts and that is a keeper. I've made several, but not with the sashing plus 9 patchs. Guess it's time to start another one. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. And they will love it and appreciate it, nothing like losing everything you own and starting over from nothing like homemade treasures and I know so many must have been lost. You have such a HUGE HEART!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the rustic look of this quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...