Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tell Me Tuesday: Week Four - On Memories


Welcome to Tell Me Tuesday.....First off the title is a bit deceiving.....it really is not about you telling me anything.... but answering a question truthfully and maybe telling yourself a little something you had not thought about.

I'd love for you to join me each week, and copy the question onto your blog and answer the question....and link back here. I am sure it will be interesting how there will be many different answers to the same question.....and hopefully give each of us something to think about as this new year progresses. My thought is so many people (including myself) are looking for some answers to various things. I have a feeling that the answers are inside needing to be jiggled loose and maybe a question posed a certain way will have a cause and effect in a good way. We will see how it goes! I have committed to this once a week for the whole year of 2012. I'd love for you to take the challenge with me!

I am keeping the rules simple...I'd love to watch this grow as the year goes on.

1. Grab the button on the sidebar if you like so others can find this new writing experience each week.

2. Once you link in, visit the person who linked in before you and leave them a comment. It would be great to visit and leave comments for as many as you can. But at least try and leave the person ahead of you in the link a comment of support.

3. Please link back to my blog and mention Tell Me Tuesday somewhere in your POST. That is it....easy.

Most of all, look at this writing experience with an open mind. Sometimes the questions will be hard...and require some thought. That is a good thing. Other times it will be easy. You can add photos, or whatever you like to your post. It is about you after all. ~ Thanks for joining me.....I hope you enjoy this each week.


Week Four Question:

Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never to be able to make new ones?

_________________________________________

Oh. My. Goodness. This question for me had so many variables when I first read it. I could answer one way if I was sure of this or that. Likewise, I would answer the other way if certain things were a given and sure thing. However, that is not how the question read so without adding any variables to the question, and just reading it for what it is was hard for me to answer. Hard.



But after a little soul searching If I was posed the question "Would I rather lose all of my old memories or never be able to make new ones", I'd have to say I would opt to lose all the old ones. I sorta like the option of starting with a blank slate.

There is an understanding that in losing all the old ones would mean losing all the good memories along with the bad. I'd really hate to lose any of my good memories, especially the ones of my children and of all the things and people I love. But in losing those memories, all the bad memories would be erased as well.

Sometimes, I think the bad memories are a hindrance for me. They are always just under the surface as a reminder of a failure, bad decision or a reminder of things I could have done differently and certainly should have. The fear of making bad decisions is a constant light that flashes in my brain and draws from the fall out of mistakes made in the past. It is a crippling thing for me.

In knowing those would be gone from my memory bank, and new memories would be what I had to draw from, maybe now that I am older the new memories would be made with better choices. And assuming my family would still be here we could make new memories. I suppose in a perfect world that would be so.

Then as I type this out the thought comes to mind, without all the old experiences in my memory bank, who's to say I would not make the same mistakes again?? I am sure I will be thinking about this one today. For me, it really stopped me in my tracks and gave me something to think about. Interesting.



5 comments:

  1. Suzanne this was a hard one! Where do these questions come from? LOL... hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEXT week we get "What's your favorite ice cream flavor, right? I think I thought so deeply that the lump in my socks is my brain! It'll move back where it belongs, though. It always does!


    I can see the allure of a clean slate. There are some images I'd love to remove from my memory, but at the cost of losing all the happy ones? I don't know. And your though at the end could be right. Maybe you'd repeat the same mistakes not having those original mistakes to learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you would want to forget your daughter?!?! MOM! not nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a really hard question! You come up with some interesting things.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...