Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tell Me Tuesday: Week Three Question: Most Important Lesson


Welcome to Tell Me Tuesday.....First off the title is a bit deceiving.....it really is not about you telling me anything.... but answering a question truthfully and maybe telling yourself a little something you had not thought about.

I'd love for you to join me each week, and copy the question onto your blog and answer the question....and link back here. I am sure it will be interesting how there will be many different answers to the same question.....and hopefully give each of us something to think about as this new year progresses. My thought is so many people (including myself) are looking for some answers to various things. I have a feeling that the answers are inside needing to be jiggled loose and maybe a question posed a certain way will have a cause and effect in a good way. We will see how it goes! I have committed to this once a week for the whole year of 2012. I'd love for you to take the challenge with me!

I am keeping the rules simple...I'd love to watch this grow as the year goes on.

1. Grab the button on the sidebar if you like so others can find this new writing experience each week.

2. Once you link in, visit the person who linked in before you and leave them a comment. It would be great to visit and leave comments for as many as you can. But at least try and leave the person ahead of you in the link a comment of support.

3. Please link back to my blog and mention Tell Me Tuesday somewhere in your POST. That is it....easy.

Most of all, look at this writing experience with an open mind. Sometimes the questions will be hard...and require some thought. That is a good thing. Other times it will be easy. ( This week...I think is easy....but I can not promise that each week ) You can add photos, or whatever you like to your post. It is about you after all. ~ Thanks for joining me.....I hope you enjoy this each week.


Week Three Question:

What is the most important lesson you learned in the past year?

_________________________________________

This one is not an easy one for me to answer...and I have sat here thinking and trying to remember something grand that would apply from this past year.....so I walked away for a few minutes.....and came back to the computer determined to decide between two things that come to mind. I have to choose one....which is the most important for ME??........23 minutes later...here goes.....

The most important lesson I learned this past year is that truly grand things can be done with little effort. I have been blessed by doing something small and unexpected for others, many times being for people I don't even know or may never know in all actuality. 

The Senior Birthday cards that we do here each month is a wonderful example of doing something so small but the impact is monumental. It is a feel good feeling to be able to bring a smile to someone's face even if you never see that smile. It is knowing you have made a difference even in a small way.

Sometimes, it is as simple as paying for the person's order behind you in a drive thru line at a fast food restaurant. I have done that a few times when I see it is a senior or for a young person who looks like a college student. I don't wait to see their reaction...I just do it believing there was a reason and don't question. In doing that, driving away leaves me with a feeling that I matter....even in that instant I was maybe able to turn someones day around.

I know it is hard to feel appreciated lots of times by the people around us. Maybe not any fault of theirs, but sometimes, I know for many, the thoughts and feeling are there no matter. For me, I have worked through that frustration and hurt by doing small things for others and knowing there is nothing expected in return. It has been a liberating feeling during the past year as I put this into practice. I choose to focus on the positive things I could do and let all the other negative feelings go.

The lesson was really easy.....unexpected small acts of kindness have a huge impact  for others as well as myself in an unexpected way.....and that is a great lesson to learn and be aware of.

****This was not easy to write.....it is hard to pinpoint one thing and one thing only....at least it was for me.....good luck as you think on this question.....I hope you join me today!




4 comments:

  1. Suzanne this was a great lesson. I too have felt the joy of the Sr Birthday Cards...giving even in such a small way has been good for me this year. I will think on the question and be back later with my post. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Week Three Question: What is the most important lesson you learned in the past year?

    I think that the most important lesson I've learned is that regardless of where you are at, it depends on your state of mind as to where "home" is.

    I grew up just outside of Detroit, MI. That will always be Home (capital "H"). The place that sank into the very fabric of my being from the day I was born. Motown, Greektown, Cranbrook University, Boblo Island, (which is, from what I understand, now a gated community: no longer a carnival/theme park.), Coney dogs, and Dunkin' Donuts. These are just a few of the things that I loved so much growing up. One of my best friends posted this on Facebook and it fits so well that I'll re-post here. There is a certain amount of pride when discussing the place where you were raised and that pride, I have in abundance.

    "I was raised in Michigan, where we use our hand as a map, the number one industry is tourism, and automobiles came from. More varieties of trees than all of Europe, more water front property than the entire Atlantic coast. Hitsville USA - Motown. Where Tim Allen, Alice Cooper, Madonna, Bob Seger, Diana Ross, Eminem, Stevie Wonder, Robin Williams, and Kid Rock are from. A vacation was to Cedar Point, Lake Michigan, Up North, or a drive across the bridge or tunnel to Canada. We love Faygo, Better Made Chips, Vernors, and Mackinaw Island Fudge. We know that the UP is a place not a direction. We know that Kalamazoo not only exists, but you drive through it to get to Climax and Hell. We play Euchre, swim in lakes, fish, and camp. We bake with "soda" and drink "pop". We measure distance in hours. We can drive 65 mph in a foot of snow or a blizzard and not even flinch."

    http://coffeecupchristianity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Random Acts always feel good. I agree that it's not necessary to see a response. It's in doing it that the feeling is warmest.

    Finally joining in this week, Suzanne! I really like this meme!

    My lesson was a little more self-focused, but one I needed to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Random Acts ARE good, aren't they? And you provided us with a way to do that with the cards to seniors. I've really enjoyed sending cards.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...