Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Vintage Thingies Thursday: A Dish for the Dogs

Welcome to this weeks segment of Vintage Thingies Thursday. Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone. If you are visiting and would like to join us, please do. It is very easy!
To participate, all you have to do is:

* * * * Please everyone, follow these guidelines!

(1) do a post about something vintage.
(2) Visit all the participates and leave a comment.
(3) Link in with the link at the bottom of this post, please use a perma-link to link in with, that way, anyone can refer back to your post if they can not get to it on Thursday.
(4) Be sure to refer back to my blog so everyone can see who is participating today, and if you like include the VTT button in your post. Please be sure to have your post up before linking in.

REMINDER:
We have several new friends linking in for Vintage Thingie Thursday. I want to remind everyone that the link for VTT goes up on Wednesday evening and will run through Friday morning (early) then the link will be closed. I know it is hard to get in the habit of posting earlier than later, but try and get your link in before early Friday morning. I have to close the link to keep spam out of the link. Thanks!! And I know Wednesday is not Thursday, here...but it is Thursday for our friends who live on the other side of the globe!!

I have been missing in action, I know....but I have been so frustrated with my computer and its illness....I have just left the darn thing alone the past week. I don't like change, or things I use on a regular basis to not be the way they should. That being said, I guess I will just have to live with the changes and get to learn my computer all over again....take my advice, back up everything.....I lost everything on my computer to that darn virus and I have been pouting about it for over a week. I was just thinking I needed to transfer all of the pictures to an external hard drive...well, don't need to worry about that now..there are no pictures to transfer....feel my frustration?? OK...moving on.......

I am always looking for vintage things. One day a few months ago, I found this adorable pie plate. No markings at all....but I loved the pattern. It looked like needlework and so I brought it home. Does anyone know the name of this pattern or maker?

It looks like fall to me, with the vines and berries. I know I did not pay more than a couple of dollars for it, but imagine my excitement when on another outing I spotted a match for the pie plate......

Just look at this beauty. Now, there is a bit of a story about this covered casserole dish. I spotted the dish, but it did not have a lid, but soon in the same booth, I saw a dish with a lid, all in the same pattern.

Now, I wanted this dish and I wanted the matching lid. However, the lid that matched was paired up with the same pattern dish only that one was a bit discolored. I told the guy walking by asking if I needed any help, that this did not make much sense to me. It looked to me that the lid was taped to the wrong casserole dish, it did not even match up with the color of the dish it was with.....

Now, I am really good about sticking my foot in my mouth on many occasions and this time, proved no different. Seems the booth I was in belonged to said man....uhhhh......that should explain enough right there, the silly man did not even know how to match up his dishes to sell....LOL. He said if I took both dishes, the one with the lid and the one without the lid, he would make me a good deal. That way, I'd have the pretty dish with the pretty lid....hmmmm.....now I see his tactic....not nice I'd say......shame on him....but I guess you have figured it out by now.....

I bought both...and Sophie, Dora and Bailey seem to really like their vintage dog dish. I think this little dog dish set me back about $15.00 total for the pair. But, the colors match my kitchen, and well, who could resist that sales pitch. And I am happy to have the pie plate and a casserole dish with lid that match, and match nicely. Now you tell me, was that a pitch or what? Can you really believe he sat the darn pretty lid on this discolored, but charming dish? And can you believe I fell for that sales tactic.... hook, line and sinker? I thought so! Good news is, this little vintage dog dish is too heavy for the dogs to drag all over the house like they did their plastic ones. Money well spent if you ask me!

Have a great weekend.....I'll get my mojo back this week.....if I can figure out how to work my not so new, but different, same ole' computer! Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday everyone!



45 comments:

  1. What a crazy story...your dog is soooo LUCKY:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzanne! I am new to this so I hope I did it all right, let me know, will you? I was so happy I found your Vintage Thingies Thursday link. It's wonderful and so is that lovely doggie dish!
    Danylle
    Nana Moon Shop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dishes!

    I know what you mean about not backing everything up. When my PC crashed a few weeks ago I lost some things too. BOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dogs eat from a very elegant dish...do they get a vintage doily as placement too?

    These are really lovely pieces-I love the needlepoint look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are using the discolored bowl. Pampered pooches, they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I LOVE your stitchery dishes. And to think your sweet pups now can eat out of a find vintage bowl. How cool is that!

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzanne, I'm so sorry about the whole computer issue. How frustrating!
    I cannot believe that man didn't just switch the lids! If it was me, I would still be standing there arguing about it! It is a lovely pattern though, and a fancy schmancy dog bowl!
    Happy VTT!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty and unusual.

    I've been having computer problems myself and I have only one thing to say "grrr.....".

    ReplyDelete
  9. THat was a great deal for a dog dish. And it is so pretty. Way prettier than any one you would find in a pet store. I would have had trouble walking away too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story, Suzanne, to go with a great pattern! I really like it and the shape of the bowl, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a pretty pattern. I'm surprised there are no markings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the story! It was meant to be! Your pooch is a lucky pup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Suzanne,

    This a pretty dishes. I have never seen ones like it before, and they do look like needlepoint. Great find!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. My those dogs have a fine dog dish. What a lovely way to pamper your pooches.

    This is my first go at Vintage Thursdays, I am not sure I did the perma link correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute set and the dog is lucky! I love the autumnal (sorry - I love that word) look of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Suzanne, I total can relate to your problem, I had the stupid virus not once but twice last week.I just felt so luck to have been able to put my pictures on disk and save them all...WRONG...only 17 files out of 58 actually saved to the disk....I was just heart broken, but since I blog a lot with my pictures and also put a lot of them in my face book albums, I did manage to retrieve about 50% of them.
    And as for the booth owner, he is a very shape cheat. ..lol..he knew exactly what he was doing, what a perfect way to sell both items...he knew if he taped it to the discolored bowl you couldn't move it to the right one. Shame, shame on him. He might trick me one time, but I'd never buy from him again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Suzanne!

    Love these dishes! theya re really awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for hosting.
    Have a super Thursday

    blessings

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hate losing info. now I have a Mac so not the same worry!Not sure what I miss most all the pics or the other stuff!
    Sweet dishes Suzanne, but that guy saw you coming GF!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was a funny story, and now your dogs will keep their bowl where it belongs! The dishes are really very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  21. Girl, you were determined to have the whole set and man...oh man...was he determined to get you to take the whole lot. I'm glad you did cause what pet wouldn't want a vintage beauty like that?

    love ya and appreciate Vintage Thur.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that pattern, so cute!

    Now your dogs have a very fancy dish! lol

    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, GREAT idea. There is nothing uglier than a stainless steel dog dish on the floor...and you have solved that issue!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Doesn't every dog have a vintage dish for his dinner??
    I love that it matches your kitchen too.
    Thanks for hosting us all once again.
    ~Maggie~

    ReplyDelete
  25. uhhh i did not realize no pictures were saved. glad i now have zero pictures from high school and my freshman year at unt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What lucky dogs to get to eat out of such a beautiful dish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Suzanne,you have my sympathy with the loss of your pictures..I also lost all my things..it was an awful virus on mine as well. I can't stand those who willingly harm others computers. It makes me quite angry..
    I love your sweet dishes,they're just as pretty as can be.
    I didn't have time to get a post done in time for today,but I finally did get a vintage post up..I hate missing a vintage Thursday.., so I will just go visiting and see all the pretty things anyway..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well I can't think of a better use for a vintage dish than to feed a few cute dogs! I agree -- the heavy old dishes make grand pet dishes, no kicking them across the kitchen floor in an attempt to ask for MORE!

    Love that cross-stitch design. Adorable!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  29. P.S. forgot to say -- I also HATE CHANGE! -- Cass

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Suzanne, how awful to lose anything from a computer crash. I hope it all works out for you.

    I love those bowls, your pie dish and the pretty pattern. Someone will know what it is. The colors are so pretty. Love the story behind the bowls. I would have bought them too.

    Lucky dog!!!
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm pretty sure I have fallen for that sort of tactic before, but as usual, I am oblivious when it comes down to getting something I think I really want. Your dogs are special! Hope to play VTT next week!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the stitching pattern, you're a lucky shopper. Thanks for sharing the story.

    Ann
    Tin and sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think you are really a detective! :-) So sorry about your computer...I've been without mine too and it really is difficult.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Suzanne,
    Thanks for visitng my blog today. As soon as I saw your awesome header I knew it was Shabby Creations, Michelle did mine too. I enjoyed reading through your blog, I don't know how you keep up with so many topics, I can barely do one! I love your sweet vintage treasures, I've been know to browse a mall or two myself. About the candles. That was my first try at them and I was pleased with the result. I just used a soy based wax that is sold in a 2 lb container at Michaels. I used my coupon because it was $22. but I knew it would take a lot of wax. The brand is Yaley, I also bought that brand scent chips and wicks and just followed the directions. Good luck! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  35. Let's us try again. I did leave a comment, but apparently it did not work. I feel reasonably sure I did one, but who got it, Lord knows. So if someone out there gets a comment that is in no way related to your blog, forgive me. Now, back to the original VTT today. It is amazing what some people will do for their two legged children. Glad the computer is working again. It is not ever to make changes. You are stronger than you think, and will handle it fine.

    ReplyDelete
  36. you got lucky dog! he got to eat from vintage bowl! awesome!.. thanks for sharing Suzanne.. and am sorry to hear about your Computer.. hope you got it all back up.. happy VTT and have a good week too!
    xo
    fitty

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great idea. Lovely bowl for the doggie. I just discovered your blog and wish I had a day sooner as I had a vintage honey pot collection I posted. Oh well, next time. I'll be sure and check back.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That's a nice pattern. I think that's a very suitable dog dish! They deserve some nice vintage items, too (and I don't mean old dog bones, either!).

    ReplyDelete
  39. It was a win, win, win situation. You win, the doggies win, the guy selling wins!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Came over from Sue's Cherry blog. Love your vintage doggie bowls. AND I LOVE YOUR DOGGIES....oh me oh my. love love love the little dachsie doggies. Don't have one, but fostered a handful when in Rescue involvement. I so could have kept one. If you pick up this comment today (Saturday) go to www.dogoftheday.com and check out the dachsie there. Unique. Don't see a lot of those. Lovin em all.
    Enjoyed your vintage thingy post! I'll have to join up sometime!
    Take care. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I would have done the same thing just to get the lid and I'm sure the furbabies love their special bowl!!!! lol Have a great weekend my friend~~~~Picket~~

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Suzanne...this is my first visit to your blog...and I love vintage finds too! I just posted about collecting objects today...come for a visit sometime.

    I'm going to read on in your blog now..see you soon..
    ciao

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi again...

    I thought I would just let you know that I'm your newest follower...I looked through some of your older crafting posts....i like, i like...

    come see me too...it's nice to meet fellow creative souls like you in this blissful blogging world!

    ciao

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...