Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Quick, Easy, Delish: Enchilada Casserole

With spring just at our doorsteps, I find myself wanting to stay outdoors and out of the kitchen as much as possible. But funny thing, my husband seems to like to spend time at the dinner table every evening....with a home cooked meal. Imagine that! This is a great dish that can be put together ahead of time, and then baked and served in a jiffy...not only is it easy, it is really good and tasty.


What you will need: 2 lbs. ground round, onion, taco sauce, cream of mushroom soup, enchilada sauce, 32 count of corn tortillas, cheese, sour cream.

First, slice and dice onion. Save about 1/4 for finishing off recipe.

Brown ground beef and onions in a large skillet. Drain off fat. You could use ground turkey instead of ground beef if you would like. It works well either way.

Don't forget to save some for the finishing part of this recipe...just save in a cute bowl or on the cutting board if you want.

While meat is browning, I cut off the edges of all the tortillas like so. This helps them sit better in the pan. Not necessary, but I like to do this. You can save the trimmed edges to add to eggs for breakfast or make tortilla strips for chicken tortilla soup.....save the good stuff...I'm all about that.

Once meat has been drained, add taco sauce, cream of mushroom soup and enchilada sauce and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.

I usually use the packaged cheese, but I also like to grate some colby jack or sharp cheddar to add to the cheese mixture. Just grate and leave in a bowl or a cute plate.

Layer as follows: A little bit of meat, tortillas, meat mixture, then cheese.

I use a thin layer of meat because for me, the more layers of corn tortillas, the better. Layer the meat as thick or as thin as to your liking.

I don't skimp on the cheese......but if you like, you certainly can....I just love the cheese.

Finish with a layer of tortillas, top with cheese and top with reserved onions. At this point, you can cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake. This works well if you need a dish to take somewhere and want to make it up ahead of time. Just pull out and bake when you are ready.

This is really so good and the best thing of all, it is so easy. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting. This is a great dish to make ahead of time and take somewhere, it makes a lot, very filling and very good.

Top with sour cream and salsa.....serve with beans and rice, at least that is how we do it around here......would you like a bite???

Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion chopped, reserve 1/4 for top
1 jar taco sauce (8 oz)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (10.75 oz)
1 can of enchilada sauce (19 oz.) { I used two smaller cans because I did not have a large, just watch ounces}
1 package corn tortillas (32 count or more)
4 cups of Mexican blend cheese - {I add sharp cheddar to mine} equals about 4 1/2 cups

How to:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook ground meat and onions together until brown, drain fat. Add taco sauce, soup, enchilada sauce and let simmer about 15-20 minutes. Cut tortillas if desired. Layer as follows: meat, tortillas, ground meat, cheese, repeat. Top with tortillas, cheese and onion. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Let rest 10-15 minuted before cutting. Serve with sour cream and favorite salsa. Serves 8 - 10.

Enjoy!!

14 comments:

  1. this recipe definitely loks like a keeper, and dietic too I'm sure :) I will definitely be trying it soon as my family has this same disturbing need for hot meals and clean laundry! I could get so much more done if they wouldn't require so much of my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make this when I get home next week! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious!! I have a recipe for chicken enchillada casserole that i like to make. The casserole version is so much easier than rolling the filling in the individual tortillas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a hard copy of this one! Yum. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like a bite. In a cute bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just the recipe I need! Thanks, Suzanne!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. My phone is still working a think. Remember this two legged dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've copied this to try soon. Thanks bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's making my mouth water! I will put that on my menu for one day soon.
    Hope you have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMMIE!!! I make something super similar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh man! Matt would LOVE this...Im totally going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like yum! Do I have time to get there for leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks delish! I have a confession to make... My husband makes better enchiladas than I do! Even though I'm a way better cook than he is... but only because I hoard the kitchen! I will try your recipe and try to complete with him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suzanne~

    I made this for dinner tonight - OUT OF THIS WORLD YUMMY!!! I think I am going to try the rosemary chicken next!!!

    Brandy M.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...