Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Humpty Dumpty...Please don't fall.....

Welcome to this weeks segment of Vintage Thingies Thursday. Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone. If you are visiting and would like to join us, please do. It is very easy!
To participate, all you have to do is:

* * * * Please everyone, follow these guidelines!

(1) do a post about something vintage.
(2) Visit all the participates and leave a comment.
(3) Link in with the link at the bottom of this post, please use a perma-link to link in with, that way, anyone can refer back to your post if they can not get to it on Thursday.
(4) Be sure to refer back to my blog so everyone can see who is participating today, and if you like include the VTT button in your post. Please be sure to have your post up before linking in.

REMINDER: We have several new friends linking in for Vintage Thingie Thursday. I want to remind everyone that the link for VTT goes up on Wednesday evening and will run through Friday morning (early) then the link will be closed. I know it is hard to get in the habit of posting earlier than later, but try and get your link in before early Friday morning. I have to close the link to keep spam out of the link. Thanks!! And I know Wednesday is not Thursday, here...but it is Thursday for our friends who live on the other side of the globe!!

This week, I have a really fun find to share with you. In fact, I already had a post done, but this was far more interesting than the one I had previously written for today, so I changed the order of the post. Now, I promise, I won't whine too much about still adjusting to my new work schedule.....but I will say this....I really don't have a lot of time for treasure hunting on this new work schedule. And that for me is sad, because I so enjoyed my time during the days to run all over town looking for must have treasures. That being said, I think the "treasure finding fairies" had mercy on me today...and well....they led me to a Goodwill store I usually don't really care to go to, because I've never in the past found much there to my liking. Today, the store was packed with people, I could hardly get down the isles because of all the buggies....not a fun time really. But, on the shelf at the end of a isle sat this little guy.......

I stopped my cart (after nearly running into a lady) and just looked at him, then sorta looked around wondering why he was still on the shelf, why had no one picked him up? I knew this cookie jar was vintage, but not its worth....but really with a face like this....I was not too concerned about his worth.

I did mull over in my mind the fact I did not need this at all. You see, I used to collect cookie jars and still have several, but long ago realized I had too small a house for them and passed them on to others, only keeping the ones that were my favorite or belonged to family. So, I really had to fight the urge to leave him on the shelf. His sweet face won out, and the fact I thought I deserved him after missing all of my fun time in thrift stores and goodwill stores. So, I did a quick glance over, decided he was in good shape and strolled to the front of the store to pay my $4.00 for this little guy. I tossed and I do mean TOSSED him into the trunk of my car in between two bags of dog food and drove home. I did not give it one single thought to treat this little cookie jar with kid gloves....none at all.

The bottom was marked JAPAN...no other maker markings at all.....

Once I got him home, and removed all the tape they used to keep the lid attached to his body, I then really got a good look. I was really pleased to see he has no cracks, no flea bites, no nicks of any kind...perfect shape...almost.

He does have a little loss of paint on his little tie, not much, just a bit.

And if you look closely, his hair has a few spots where the paint has worn off. Not enough for me to think that was a deciding factor in whether he came home with me or not...his face....Oh, what a sweet little face. I just fell in love with this Humpty Dumpty cookie jar.

Well, when I decided to show him off today and did a quick search on the internet.....I nearly fell off my chair.
  • One, for almost leaving him behind.
  • Two, for tossing him into the trunk of my car.
  • Three, for being afraid now to even touch him.
I think I will let you see for yourself as to the why I nearly fell out of my chair this afternoon.....Click HERE and tell me if you think maybe it's more than his sweet little face that has caused me to fall in love with this little Humpty Dumpty...and now, I am in search for the perfect place to put him so that he does not fall and crash to the ground. Wish I knew what his worth is today, 15 years later.

....thank you "treasure finding fairies" for leading me to my least favorite Goodwill store today and finding this most wonderful treasure.....my heart is still smiling.

Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday everyone, and have a great weekend.




52 comments:

  1. What an adorable cookie jar, and what a story! I love cookie jars, but don't collect for the same reasons as you.
    I can't believe I'm the first linky! Usually I'm at least 30.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you found that cookie jar for only $4!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great cookie jar - I love all old cookie jars. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am stunned. He is sweet but doesn't look that special - who would know? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh...what a find! I'm glad he was just sitting there waiting for you to come along!

    XXDenise

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is really cute and only $4 and then when you find that info about him...WOW!!! Keep him safe he is more then just a 'cute face'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! What a jewel of a guy! And what a bargain! Congratulations for going with your heart on this one.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzanne...Are you Irish? That's it...You are a Lucky Gal and this was the Month to find your Lucky Humpty Dumpty Cookie Jar. Congrats!!! How fun!! I'm about the same way with the Goodwill Store here in San Angelo, TX. Best thing I found was the Rack to an EAPC Lazy Susan for $1.00. They had NO idea what it was for, and I did! Sometimes it's just a LuckyDay! Thanks for hosting VTT. I'm enjoying it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is someone in a higher place watching and guiding you to great things, even at Goodwill. I would have passed it up, but glad you were smart to buy it. That is a real vintage treasure with that one. Any nursery rhyme vintage items are very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were being rewarded for having to give up your spare junkin' time. How great he is, really amazing what we can find that others have given away.
    Great hunting..
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good looking guy you have here...he is soooo CUTE!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a find that was. It's too funny because I have a humpty dumpty cookie jar. It is not old, I got it at Home goods a few years ago. Looks old though, that's why I snatched it up. My kids say it looks like a sperm sitting on the counter. What do they know? Maybe I will put a picture of him in my post just so you can see him. I can't wait to show them yours. You are so lucky to have found him, I could never have walked away from that face either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, how cool is that! He is cute. Glad he caught your eye and that he now has a new home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhh wow!!!!!!!!!! First,I love his sweet little face and great goodness..the worth of the little guy. I would be scared to touch him. Please don't fall Humpty..happy VTT to you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodness.gracious.me! That is so darn cute! I'm excited about it and it's not even mine. Haha!

    Thanks for the link too. Must poke around there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't play this week, my computer has a virus so I am on DD's computer and don't want to mess with figuring out everything on hers. :( Hopefully I will be able to join in again next week. In the meantime I am checking out all the fun stuff>>>>LOVE YOUR LITTLE MAN!!!!!!!!!!! He is TOOO CUTE. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! What a great treasure-hunting find! If you think of the $ you "saved" on him, he can buy you a few more things, too! He really does have an adorable face. Often these older items have creepy faces. This is something I would proudly display. (In a glass case where no one could touch it!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!! Suzanne you rock the BEST thrift find!!! I almost spit my tea at the screen when I saw that link!! THE Thrifting Gods were smiling down on you in a major way! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You do have an eye for treasures. I would have passed him by. Now you have a great story to go with your great find.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great Mother Goose piece! Humpty has always been one of my favorite characters. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woohoo for Humpty! Nice find! And so sweet that it was love and not money that made you bring him home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whoa! What a bargain you found. I wonder how long he had been sitting there, you were just in the right place at the right time. Great purchase, congrats!! He's so cute.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  23. You were one smart cookie to spot that liitl guy all abandoned and lonely at the thrift store and take him home!

    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMGOSH i nearly fell off my chair too! you amaze me how you attract these treasures! i'm sure you'll love him to bits whatever he is worth :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. THRILLED for your find! That is a GREAT story!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Girl, I'm thrilled for your find....simply fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You were really lucky the Goodwill price taggers had not seen the link!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I knew at first glance that you had a winner there-his face is classic 1930s and his condition is great-but how big a winner...WOW!

    He's just gorgeous and I'm so glad you found him!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good morning Suzanne, I hope your new schedule is working out.
    I love Humpty Dumpty. You really got lucky on this one. Look him upp on ebay. Someone might be selling one and you will get a clue to his value. Cookie jars are always so collectible.

    Have a wonderful day
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  30. I knew you were going to be happy you picked up that smiling little face. I have browsed for cookie jars before and they wear a high price tag! Four dollars! You lucky lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW! That is quite a find! Good job! Thank God you didn't left it there!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my gosh, what a find! I think "almost" wouldn't have done it for me, I WOULD HAVE fallen off my chair, that is an incredible discovery! And he is super super adorable, take good care of him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, This is my first week, and I am having so much fun! Thanks! What a great cookie jar, and what a steal for only 4 dollars! He is so cute!
    Peace, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Suzanne,

    Wow, what a treasure you found! I couldn't believe what he's worth! Don't put him in the dishwasher, all the paint will come off. He is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Now what a little treasure you have found!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Suzanne...you got a kiss from the Lord..smack on the cheek!! I love him too!! I have a vintage cookie jar thrown in the garage and everything and he's probably worth that much too. I'm so happy for you. I hope he puts Humpty Dumpty songs in your heart as you skip off to work. You could always feed your cookie jar fix by buying these and cleaning them up and either selling them or filling them with treats for co-workers and giving them as gifts. xox!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Suzanne,
    That's an awesome fine! I can see why you bought him, he's really cute. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Sherrie's Stuff
    http://sherrie-plummer.blogspot.com/2010/03/vintage-thingies-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. Only four dollars for the humpty dumpty cookie jar! A most excellent steal of a deal. He is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  39. for $4, that is one great find! glad that you brought him home! thanks for hosting today's VTT.. happy VTT Suzanne
    xo
    fitty

    ReplyDelete
  40. Fabulous find! See what happens when you give beloved things a new lease in life?

    ReplyDelete
  41. He is so wonderful and how cool that he is valuable, too!!! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow! What a find! I think he needs some peanut butter kiss cookies inside though!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Suzanne, Thats a great cookie jar I bet hes even better with a bunch of cookies in him. Better yet homemade ones. I joined in on the blog party, but not able to do the link from my blog to yours once I get a visit from someone. Im still trying to get the hang of this fun blogging stuff, Have a great day. Julian

    ReplyDelete
  44. How perfect! I love him, too. I wonder how many millions of dollars worth of stuff passes through goodwill for $2 each. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  45. That is awesome!!! I loved his sweet face before I followed the link. LOL Wonderful find.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ooo... I know exactly how you felt/feel! Did you see my Valmu linen napkins two VTT's ago?! I just love it when I find things like that!

    It's great to have the thrifting gods smile down on you once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow! What a marvelous find! I so love him!

    Back Porch Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  48. Suzanne,
    The thrifting fairies were with you on this one! $4.00????? WOW!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful fun find! Take that Goodwill and your high prices! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  49. oh he's so sweet and wow is he ever valuable!!! what a find. the thrift gods smiled on you for sure! thanks for hosting another vtt.

    -brightest blessings-
    Karina

    thasnifty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. So cute! I bet the thrift store folks would fall off Their chairs if they knew how much it was worth.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...